Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:14 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm not much of a helicopter fan but I know many of you out there are so I thought I would share. Not sure if Mike H has the coordinates for the UH-1 @ the airport in Mineral Wells. I had forgotten to take a pic of my GPS so I back tracked at home to get them. The other UH-1 is along Hwy 180 east of M.W. about 4-5 miles. This one has been there for a little over a year maybe two at a still under construction National Vietnam War Memorial.
They have some OV-10 parts in a fenced off area ajacent. I have no idea what the plans for them are or where they are from, maybe the Bronco experts can decipher the #'s on the pieces. Enjoy!

I think this guy needs to see a plastic surgeon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Spotted two UH-1s just off I-10 at Tactical Paintball, Harwood TX. 140 miles west of Houston. Guess they will be using them in their paintball wargames scenarios.
Sorry, no pics. 70 mph at 18 hours into a 19 1/2 hour drive. Just before this, we saw a US Army Stryker on a flatbed, eastbound. It had burned!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:07 pm 

Steve,
The Broncos are ex USMC OV-10Ds formerly with Marsh Aviation at Mesa/Falcon Field. The cabin is from 155489, and it looks like they also have bits of 155479 and 155493, both of which were also with Marsh.
I guess that since the end of the Colombian contract Marsh Aviation have no further need for spares airframes.
The AXPA0006 number visible on the side of the tail of 489 is its AMARC Production Control Number (or park code, as it is often referrred to as).
Regards,
Andy Marden

AUTHOR: USA Military Out of Service

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:35 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks Andy! And from all the way across the "pond". Now I just need to find out the plan for them, looks like there's not much there to make a static.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:45 pm 
FAC Pilot
FAC Pilot

Steve...is the Huey on a stick and the rotor blades from the old MW motel in between Weatherford and MW but maybe a bit closer to Weatherford? Some kind of Vietnam museum?

My son races at the big old helo pad at MW airport and I sometimes drive from FTW or fly on way home to SAT to watch them. And I remember seeing the place when I drove but can't remember exactly where.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:35 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Karen, not sure if the Huey was there with the blades( I don't think so), read the paper in the ninth picture to answer your Q. I have no idea as to where either birds came from, maybe from the stock pile in Georgetown?

Yes it is a memorial in progress to the Vietnam war. Its right out of town a couple miles on 180, can't miss it! :D