Switch to full style
This section will be used for notification and news of changes implemented in the Warbird Information Exchange forums, the sites comprising the Warbirds Resource Group, and the Warbird Registry.
Post a reply

The Great WIX Technical Manual Online Library Initiative

Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:34 am

One of the projects that I have wanted to work on for a while is scanning in government technical manuals from pre-WWII to 1960. Due to time contraints and the enormity of the task I decided that I should seek help (quiet in the peanut gallery).

So here goes. What I am looking to do is find people that have technical manuals and a scanner that are willing to scan in the manual from cover to cover resulting in a high resolution (say 200dpi) scan of each page as a jpeg file. (ie a 200 page manual will result in 200 jpegs) These files will then be submitted to me, preferrably on a CD or DVD but other arrangements can be made) and I will arrange them and form them into a PDF E-book that will then go into the WRG/WIX online library and be available for one and all to download for free, with the additional storage space and bandwith being paid for by me and the WRG. This will only be for public domain manuals which goverment documents are. In addition, this request is not just for U.S. manuals but ANY military technical manuals (aviation related subject get priority) from any country, as long as they are not copyrighted.

The goal is to create a huge reference library for everybody to have access too. This is a monumental undertaking but together we can do it.

If you are interested in helping then post which manual you have and are scanning so the project is not duplicated.
Last edited by Scott Rose on Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:10 pm

I have some TBM, PBY and T-6 manuals for the library

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:40 pm

That would be excellent. I just want to point out to everyone that the more "glamourous" are of course welcome but the "manual for the wheel hub on a PT-22" are welcome as well. I want the obscure stuff in the library as much as the popular stuff.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:32 pm

I think you should sell the CDs at a nominal cost to help fund the WIX.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:54 pm

Okay, the alpha test of the initial library files are up and can be found at
http://library.warbirdinformationexchange.org/

Check it out and let me know if you like it, basic though it is.

One known issue is that you cannot open the file in a browser, it errors out. It might be a size issue, not sure yet. You can right click on the filename and save the pdf with the save link as feature.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Alpha Test

Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:01 pm

Scott,

I had no problem clicking on the pdf file and opening the entire document. I'm on a Mac G4 Powerbook for what that's worth.

Manuals

Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:07 pm

Scott,

I am in the process of writing a book about my father's career in WWII and it is exactly the format that you suggest. My book is mostly scans of his actual letters home, 244 pages of jpegs. With my Mac, all I had to do was save the file as a PDF and it converted everything. Unfortunately, the file was 1.8 gig, too big for most DVD's. So there is a compression feature and resaving it compressed put it at 200+ meg, easy for a CD.

I have a number of manuals and training manuals I will try to work on and see if that helps the project out.

Scott[/i]

Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:51 pm

Would you be interested in Air Corps TMs and FMs?

Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:22 pm

billcook wrote:Would you be interested in Air Corps TMs and FMs?

Yup, those would definately of interest.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:30 pm

I've got some Stearman, BT-13, and some other stuff I'll start working on for you Scott. What's the mailing address for the CD when it's done?

Dan

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:17 pm

Dan Jones wrote:I've got some Stearman, BT-13, and some other stuff I'll start working on for you Scott. What's the mailing address for the CD when it's done?

Dan

You can send it to

Scott Rose
P.O. Box 661
Randolph, MA 02368

Thanks!

Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:38 pm

I would be interested in the BT-13 stuff. Could a copy be sent to me?

I would NOT use this on my BT-13.org site, but rather for my knowledge.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:08 am

Hello,

I have some tech manuals for F4U-5 Corsair, C-121 Connie, P-47, P-40, P-38, P-51...

I'm interesting for manual of the first version Corsair, PBY-5A, Lancaster, Fw190 D9 and F-4 B and G (Wild Weasel) Phantom II.

SPang

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:55 pm

Not sure how soon I would get to scanning them, but here's what I have:

TM1-410 Airplane Structures
15 September 1943
124 pages

TM9-225 Browning Machine Gun Caliber .50, AN-M2 Aircraft, Basic
January 1947
181 pages

ORD9 SNL A-67/TO 11W1-13-3-24
Group A List of All Service Parts of Gun, Machine, Cal. .50, AN-M3, Aircraft Basic
July 1955

ORD9 SNL A-67/TO 11W1-13-3-54
Group A Organizational Maintenance Allowances for Gun, Machine, Cal. .50, AN-M3, Aircraft Basic
July 1955

M-3 was the post-war M-2 .50 caliber machine gun redesigned for a higher rate of fire.

TM1-410 has some really great period pictures of B-24s, T-6s, and P-40s.

Let me know if you think any of these would be of interest.

BK

Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:55 am

bdk wrote:Not sure how soon I would get to scanning them, but here's what I have:

TM1-410 Airplane Structures
15 September 1943
124 pages

TM9-225 Browning Machine Gun Caliber .50, AN-M2 Aircraft, Basic
January 1947
181 pages

ORD9 SNL A-67/TO 11W1-13-3-24
Group A List of All Service Parts of Gun, Machine, Cal. .50, AN-M3, Aircraft Basic
July 1955

ORD9 SNL A-67/TO 11W1-13-3-54
Group A Organizational Maintenance Allowances for Gun, Machine, Cal. .50, AN-M3, Aircraft Basic
July 1955

M-3 was the post-war M-2 .50 caliber machine gun redesigned for a higher rate of fire.

TM1-410 has some really great period pictures of B-24s, T-6s, and P-40s.

Those would be great and are just what I'm looking for!

Let me know if you think any of these would be of interest.

BK
Post a reply