Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Post your travels
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:35 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

this forum's purpose is allow WIXers to join up at aviation events. I have found in the past that I have gone to airshows only later to find out that others from this forum had gone as well and I did not know it. So if your going to an airshow or a museum or other event post it here and who knows, you might get to hang with someone as nuts as you. :lol:

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject: MVPA Convention
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:09 am 
WIX Motor Pool Officer

While not an airshow at all, I'm sticking this here because it sort of fits. My planned trip to Georgia this spring has gone right up the spout, so I'm taking the money I set aside for that and am planning on attending the MVPA's convention in Dayton. I am of course also going to pay my first ever visit to the USAF museum as well and I was just curious how many other WIX members were going to be in attendance that weekend.

http://www.ohiomotorpool.oldmv.com/convention.htm

Post subject: Guadalcanal, Sept. '07
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:21 pm 

Certainly not a sponsored event, but in September, I spent a week on Guadalcanal. I had no idea what to expect even after reading a number of books on the subject, but it is a surprisingly nice place to stay. There are two really fine hotels and a few other decent ones. Despite the riots there in '06 (no fatalities), things are pretty peaceful & it's a safe place to walk around.
Besides the battlesites, there are two main locations where a number of wrecked aircraft are to be found:
Betikama Museum near the Lunga powerhouse has a P-39 and SBD out front.
Vilu Museum has a fairly complete F4F (wings still fold!), F6F, F4U, another F4U main spar, P-38 (fairly complete), SBD, plus wings from an Avenger, floats supposedly off of a Kingfisher, a nose from a Betty, etc.
I also saw pics taken by an Aussie who I met, of a fairly complete Betty fuselage in the jungle.
Across Ironbottom Sound as you approach Gavutu by boat, there is a sunken Japanese Mavis flying boat that can be seen in the clear water.
Fascinating and beautiful area with a lot of artifacts, large & small, still to be seen by anyone interested.

Post subject: Re: Post your travels
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:36 am 

Thank you for information sharing, it useful to me.

Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.

Coach Jewelry
discount coach outlet
office 2010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:45 am 

My next show is this weekend Greenwood Lake air show in Milford NJ (I'm a vendor there)
then I'm going to the Wings & Wheels Expo in Teterboro Airport on Sept 10-11 it's kind of a smaller but growing show
and Oceana Air Show near Virginia Beach Sept 23-25.
I'm also considering traveling to the Reno air races for the first time, have any of you been there before? :supz:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:29 pm 

I am in the early stages of booking my first trip to the Reno Air Races. It's the 50th running of the event and things are really starting to get hot with the number of Unlimiteds already signed up to race. I've heard PRS had the largest enrollment ever between all the classes. I'll be spending most of my time in the pits for Precious Metal in the Unlimited class and its hangermate, Race 99 for Formula One. I'd love to meet WIXers while there...