Switch to full style
This forum is for discussions about Airshows, aviation events and allows WIX member to coordinate a get together and meet ups at these events.
Post a reply

CAF Airsho Dawn Patrol Maps

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:46 pm

Any of you ever participated in this?
Last edited by sam on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:29 pm

Not in Midland, but in Harlingen and other shows.

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:04 pm

Yes...

Ryan

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:50 am

What year was that pic taken?

Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:49 am

I think 2006.

Ryan

Dawn Patrol

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:25 pm

anyone planning on doing it this year?

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:35 pm

I probably won't be making Airsho this year. Taylor?

Ryan

Dawn Patrol

Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:38 am

We are thinking about changing it up a lil' this year. Instead of flying in loose trail and circling the cities we are considering something else. We are thinking about sending the Dawn Patrol aircraft out to designated targets used back when Midland was a bomber training base. The planning is still in it's infancy so I don't have any details. However, the idea is to use maps, gps, etc., to go and and find these targets. We've managed to find a few and had a good time doing it.

Dawn Patrol

Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:57 pm

Please join us Ryan.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:28 pm

Sam,

I'm not against the idea, and I'd really love to go, but I'm trying to work on a CFI rating right now, and have a goal of mid-November for finishing. I'm already committed to Wings Over Houston, and frankly, I'm not sure I can spare the time for that with my hoped-for deadline. If you're involved I would VERY much like to get a report on how things go, and if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to get some promotional information to put up on the Lbirds.com website. I'm especially interested in the details of how this "mission" might work!

Ryan
Last edited by RyanShort1 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dawn Patrol

Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:47 pm

Old Shep is coming up with some great ideas for dawn patrol. More coming soon......

Dawn Patrol

Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:53 am

We had a good time at Dawn Patrol. Some guys found their targets while some of us didn't. My passenger was an A10 driver, which made me think this would be a slam dunk. It wasn't that easy.

Our targets consisted of tank farms, private strips, and vairous targets used while Midland was a bomber training base. Even with the aid of sectionals, and google earth we still didn't find our last target. The tank farms, and runways were easy, but the old targets were really hard to find.

We tried hard! We flew 1.9 hours and never left our area. I finally had to call it off and get back to the barn before waivered airspace started.

Maybe next time!

Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:36 am

Sam,

Would you email me at ryan at lbirds dot com? I'd like to get more details about how it was done...

Ryan

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:37 pm

Hey Ryan what do ya think of our dawn patrol maps?

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:24 pm

I don't know. I either never got them, or... I'm going to check my spam filter.

Ryan
Post a reply