Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:46 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:42 pm
Posts: 5476
Location: Waukegan,Illinois
The Space Shuttle Discovery will arrive at Dulles International Airport atop a 747 April 17th. It will make an entrance to NASM/Udvar Hazy building two days later on the 19th. Who the heck is paying for all this? The museum receiving a shuttle is supposed to be paying for all the costs involved with getting a shuttle to its facility. I thought the NASM hurting for money. They definately dont have the millions of bucks it takes to prepare and transport the shuttle to Virginia.

_________________
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:50 pm
Posts: 378
Location: Northern VA, USA
Pat Carry wrote:
The Space Shuttle Discovery will arrive at Dulles International Airport atop a 747 April 17th. It will make an entrance to NASM/Udvar Hazy building two days later on the 19th. Who the heck is paying for all this? The museum receiving a shuttle is supposed to be paying for all the costs involved with getting a shuttle to its facility. I thought the NASM hurting for money. They definately dont have the millions of bucks it takes to prepare and transport the shuttle to Virginia.


I just want to know what rocket scientist decided to have this coincide exactly with the Doolittle Raiders 70th Anniversary Reunion at NMUSAF. I'm betting that I'm not the only one who is now going to have to make a choice between two once-in-a-lifetime events.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:35 pm
Posts: 219
Location: Graniteville SC formerly Ware Shoals SC
i hope some one can get a side by side pic of Discovery and Enterprise, and post it here. :drink3:

_________________
You can't see me!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:38 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 am
Posts: 1575
Location: Northwest Ohio
Garth wrote:
Pat Carry wrote:
The Space Shuttle Discovery will arrive at Dulles International Airport atop a 747 April 17th. It will make an entrance to NASM/Udvar Hazy building two days later on the 19th. Who the heck is paying for all this? The museum receiving a shuttle is supposed to be paying for all the costs involved with getting a shuttle to its facility. I thought the NASM hurting for money. They definately dont have the millions of bucks it takes to prepare and transport the shuttle to Virginia.


I just want to know what rocket scientist decided to have this coincide exactly with the Doolittle Raiders 70th Anniversary Reunion at NMUSAF. I'm betting that I'm not the only one who is now going to have to make a choice between two once-in-a-lifetime events.


Not a tough decision here, Dayton here I come!!!!!!!! :drink3:

_________________
A&P/I.A., A.A.S./Aviation Maintenance technology
Warbird salvage/recovery
One day I'll get that P-40!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:53 pm
Posts: 9
Maybe they can fly to Udvar Hazy via NMUSAF???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:48 pm
Posts: 146
Location: 6.0 NM NW of KNFE
Heads-Up, WIXers-

We'll be getting more information about this on Tuesday (February 28) when the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum conducts a media briefing:

Welcome Discovery! Presentation of Arrival Plans

Anthony

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:35 pm
Posts: 219
Location: Graniteville SC formerly Ware Shoals SC
wingman1 wrote:
i hope some one can get a side by side pic of Discovery and Enterprise, and post it here. :drink3:



Anthony Svihlik wrote:
Heads-Up, WIXers-

We'll be getting more information about this on Tuesday (February 28) when the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum conducts a media briefing:

Welcome Discovery! Presentation of Arrival Plans

Anthony


looks like i might get my wish. pop1

_________________
You can't see me!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:48 pm
Posts: 146
Location: 6.0 NM NW of KNFE
The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum website has been updated with more information - as of now, Discovery is expected to land at Washington Dulles International Airport on April 17 with a transfer ceremony on April 19 (dates are weather dependent):

Welcome Discovery!

More details, including a nose-to-nose meeting of Space Shuttles Discovery and Enterprise, are listed on the activities page here:

Discovery Festival Activities

Anthony

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:35 pm
Posts: 219
Location: Graniteville SC formerly Ware Shoals SC
wow, i will be watching TV tomorow. please post your pic's here. let this be the Wix thread for pic's.

_________________
You can't see me!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group