Switch to full style
This forum is for discussions about Airshows, aviation events and allows WIX member to coordinate a get together and meet ups at these events.
Post a reply

Question about Captial Classic Airshow, Sacramento, CA

Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Normally I go to this show every year, since I live in Sacramento less than two miles from Mather Field, where it takes place.

This year, due to other obligations, I couldn't attend. I saw some of the flights from my house, using binoculars, and I have a question for anyone who might know:

I saw one plane whose wing planform looked unmistakably like a Spitfire. I hadn't heard that a Spit would even be there. Does anyone know if a Spitfire was indeed there, and if so, which one?

Thanks!

UPDATE: It seems there was indeed a Spitfire there, a Mk XIV; that would be what I saw flying. A member of the Silicon Valley Scale Modelers was kind enough to post a photo gallery on their website at http://svsm.org/gallery/spitfire_mkXIV?page=1. Not too many overall shots; mostly detail shots of the sort that would be of interest to modelers - and some very nice pics.

UPDATE II: More info: It was Spitfire Mk XIV #NX749DP, belonging to the Commemorative Air Force, in colors of the Indian Air Force. Beautiful plane, I only wish I'd been able to see it closer.

Re: Question about Captial Classic Airshow, Sacramento, CA

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:05 am

Hi Wanderer,
Better to post such queries in the main WIX hangar, they just get more attention there!
Wander wrote:UPDATE II: More info: It was Spitfire Mk XIV #NX749DP, belonging to the Commemorative Air Force, in colors of the Indian Air Force. Beautiful plane, I only wish I'd been able to see it closer.

Just to clarify - The Spitfire is in British RAF, not Indian Air Force colours, but wears the SEAC (South East Asia Command) two blue roundels to avoid friendly fire incidents in theatres where the Japanese were operating with red dot on while ground markings! IIRC, the scheme may be for an Indian based British operated example; but I don't recall for certain.

Regards,

Re: Question about Captial Classic Airshow, Sacramento, CA

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:33 pm

Just saw your post about the Spit. Jason Somes flew it during the show and then on to Reno on Monday morning.
Jerry
Post a reply