Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:05 pm 

Hello All,

While not WW2 related I'm posting hoping someone may know about current issue military.

I have a CWU-45P that I'd like to add patches to. I'd like to mount them as the pilots officially do which is I believe using velcro so they can be removed before missions I take it?

1. Where can I obtain that OD velcro?

2. I recall that the 'soft side' velcro is mounted to the jacket and the 'hook' velcro is mounted to the patch. How is the hook velcro mounted to the patch? Do I glue it on or do I need to have it sewed on to the patch?

3. I guess the velcro mounted to the jacket is cut in the shape/outline of the patch itself?

4. Where can I find references on how USAF and USN pilots put the patches in particular locations on the jacket?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Pete

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:30 pm 

Hi Pete,

I've found the best source for the velcro to use for mounting patches on a current issue Nomex flight jacket is from a company I found in the US on the web.

Williams & Williams - Flight Suit Name Tags at www.nametags4u.com

They have both the hook (which goes on the back of the patches) and pile (which goes on the item of clothing) velcro fasteners in a range of colours and pre diecut shapes. They also have velcro in 'bulk' strips.

Normally the patches would be sewn on using nomex thread or in worst case cotton thread - not polyester or nylon based thread which would represent a risk to the integrity of the Nomex clothing in a fire.

W&W also do customised name tags and have a range of patches.

Quite often the patch suppliers will offer a patch with the hook velcro and the pile velcro pre cut to the shape of the patch and with the patch sewn onto the hook side of the velcro 'as supplied' as an option. Makes it much easier.

Protocol for patches for USA or USN, best bet is do some Google image research for images showing current aircrew so you can see how they place patches. If you are looking for a particular unit layout, that might help as well. But the arrangement seems to be name and wings patch left chest, command or major unit right chest, US flag left shoulder with stars to front edge, unit or aircraft type badge right shoulder. Although you can find the occasion variation to that.

Other Air Forces use similar protocols for layout of patches on clothing.

HTH

Regards,

No.268 Squadron Royal Air Force 1940-46
Historian by Appointment