Switch to full style
This forum is for use by reenactors and those interested in this subject.
Post a reply

H-4 HELMET

Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:16 pm

I have a H-4 that needs help. Does anybody know where I can get it restored?

TIA,

Lynn

Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:17 am

OK, how about parts to do it myself??

TIA,

Lynn

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:30 am

Lynn Allen wrote:OK, how about parts to do it myself??

TIA,

Lynn

Lynn-

I haven't tried this (yet), but I've done a little research on the subject, since I have a couple I'd like to restore myself...

The Naval water-slide decal on the front of the helmet is available from www.garciaaviation.com , and the interior suspension parts pop up from time to time on Ebay.

The paint...the closest thing I've found is a nitrocellulose lacquer with bronze powder suspended in it...I'm no paint expert, and don't know if it's compatible with fiberglass. It's available from www.reranch.com (they're in Garland, TX). This paint is used to restore/refinish "Gold Top" Gibson Les Paul guitars. Interestingly, the old "gold top" Les Pauls tend to develop a greenish hue, like the H-4 helmets, because of the oxidation of the bronze powder in the paint with age. Oh, and this stuff is available in spray cans. You might want to contact them for further info.

I hope this helps.

-Pat

Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:16 pm

Pat wrote:
Lynn Allen wrote:OK, how about parts to do it myself??

TIA,

Lynn

Lynn-

I haven't tried this (yet), but I've done a little research on the subject, since I have a couple I'd like to restore myself...

The Naval water-slide decal on the front of the helmet is available from www.garciaaviation.com , and the interior suspension parts pop up from time to time on Ebay.

The paint...the closest thing I've found is a nitrocellulose lacquer with bronze powder suspended in it...I'm no paint expert, and don't know if it's compatible with fiberglass. It's available from www.reranch.com (they're in Garland, TX). This paint is used to restore/refinish "Gold Top" Gibson Les Paul guitars. Interestingly, the old "gold top" Les Pauls tend to develop a greenish hue, like the H-4 helmets, because of the oxidation of the bronze powder in the paint with age. Oh, and this stuff is available in spray cans. You might want to contact them for further info.

I hope this helps.

-Pat

Pat, thanks for the info and your time..

Lynn

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:21 pm

I have a fabric/canvas flying skull-cap with lambswool ear covers and a leather chin strap. Kahki in color.., anyone know what this is? I know it was issued to my father in 1941.

has clips for goggles as well.

Thanks

Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:13 am

An A-9.

Thanks!!!
Post a reply