Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:28 pm 

Hi All,

I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase an a2. Could ya'll chime in with information on manufacturers/retailers, material (goat/horse/cow hide), traditional or slightly modernized (side pockets, etc).

I'm looking for the best value, tho' best price intersecting with best value would be a happy coincidence.

My intended use is casual to slighty dressy attire for nights out, travel during cold times, etc.

Thanks.

Ivan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:34 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

There are many manufacturers out there. Here's a link to one of the threads about Jackets:
http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/p ... hp?t=19809

A lot depends on personal taste, usage etc. Some have "improvements" that don't make them "historically" accurate, but are very useful changes or additions.
With your WIX name, how come you don't want a Navy G-1 Jacket? :)
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Eastman Leather, the only way to go. Spend the money on their catalog/information book, it's well worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I got mine at...
www.flightjacket.com

If you're not sure of the fit you want, they'll send you whatever size you think you'd want and whatever modifications you need to get one that fits, (sleeve length, body length, etc.) tell 'em and they'll make whatever fit you want.
I'm 6'6" and 250lbs so A 48 long fits me perfectly except for sleeve length. I had them make a 48 long but with 1" of extra sleeve length. Fits perfectly.
Take a look at their site and I think you'll be impressed.
Just remember...ya' get what ya' pay for.

Mudge the helpful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:05 pm 

No g1 because of the fuzzy collar. Other than that, it's the bomb!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Here's another link for your shopping pleasure.

http://historypreservation.com/

http://www.eastmanleather.com/

I would probably get this one if I were wanting one more authentic than what you can get at the Mall.

http://www.flightjacket.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=1

Try looking on ebay too. I've gotten several from ebay and been pretty happy with the results. In fact, I'm taking a break at the moment while I'm painting some nose art on the back of such a purchase.

Visit Django Studios online or Facebook!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:08 am 

corsairman wrote:
I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase an a2. Could ya'll chime in with information on manufacturers/retailers, material (goat/horse/cow hide), traditional or slightly modernized (side pockets, etc).

Only 3 manufacturers come even close to making accurate traditional A2's.

Eastman's
http://www.eastmanleather.com
Goodwear
http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/index.html
Aero
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/webapp/aeroleather/servlet/AeroViewPage?category=%20AERO%20MILITARY%20JACKETS&page=displaysubcats&catid=54

A2 were usually Horsehide, but some contracts were done in Goatskin.

If it's not accurate and 'traditional', it's not an A2....simple as that.

If you don't want an accurate A2, go buy a trendy jacket in the your local mall.

corsairman wrote:
My intended use is casual to slighty dressy attire for nights out, travel during cold times, etc.

A2's arn't very warm, but then, I'm not what sure your are defining as cold times....?
So if you want real warmth, you are better off with a B10 or B15.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:28 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Search on the web for Pop's Leather in Adana, Turkey. They are outside the air base at Incirlik and all the GIs use 'em - amazing workmanship and they do credit cards & mail order. They did the update mods to my issue A-2 and did fantastic work. One downside of "authentic" patterns is that you get a jacket cut for the frame of those young and smaller guys of the 1940's. You look great standing there but can't raise your arm over your head. The AF finally changed the cut because the jackets were so bad. Give Pop's a look!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:13 am 

Ken wrote:
One downside of "authentic" patterns is that you get a jacket cut for the frame of those young and smaller guys of the 1940's. You look great standing there but can't raise your arm over your head.

Partially true.
It depends on what contract the A2 was made to/by, although they were nominally made to a standard pattern, each of the different makers and contract were cut differently.
This is something Eastman's, Goodwear and Aero copy exactly in their various jackets and it's quite possible to get a nice roomy fit if you pick the right one.
This is why I bought an Eastman Monarch Mfg Co Contract 23378 as I've got broad shoulders and the Monarch is quite a roomy cut.
The Dubow Mfg Contract 27798 that Goodwear does is another example of this.

Ken wrote:
The AF finally changed the cut because the jackets were so bad.

No, the cut was changed because of fast food and modern living :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:41 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

FWIW, I have three different A-2s, all from the "current" batch issued for the USAF.

The Cooper A-2 (mfd circa 1988) is the most close to "authentic" -- it is based on a late 1930s jacket (I don't know which manufacturer, unfortunately) that was pulled out of the NMUSAF. Unfortunately, as was mentioned, the cut is designed for a pilot sitting with his arms down and wearing a Mae West -- if you raise your arms above shoulder level, the rest of the jacket will pull up to your chest!

My current-issue USAF A-2 is an Avirex (made circa 1999). It is modified quite a bunch from the "stock" pattern;

- Under-armpit extensions
- Collar hook deleted
- Side-entry pockets (hidden quite well, but still not stock)
- inside pocket and pen-pockets

In addition, the neck is noticeably larger than the original pattern, and the torso is larger than the original. In other words, in an "original" A-2, if I get one that fits me across the shoulders it is snug around my chest and abdomen. In the "current issue" Avirex A-2, there is plenty of slack (which I don't like).

Both of them are very, very tough. I treated the Cooper pretty well before I got into the USAF -- it had about 5 years of wear and the frequently-replaced areas (knit cuffs, etc) have held up reasonably well. The leather looks good and all the stitching is in good shape, too.

The Avirex I have deliberately mistreated! Since it was an issue item and didn't cost me a cent, I decided that I was going to try and get it to take on a weathered, beat-up look. So, for the last nearly 10 years I have worn it out in the weather, left it wrinkled up in my car in the searing heat, tossed it on the floor with my dirty laundry, etc.

I am disappointed to say that it does not look weathered. In fact, it still looks really, really good. I bet if I took it to a cleaner and had it cleaned, it would look brand new. The liner, the knit cuffs, the stitching, etc, are all still in great condition.

So, I definitely recommend both the Cooper (if you're interested in pure historical authenticity) or the Avirex (if you're looking for modern enhancements that make it more comfortable to wear). Avirex is called "Cockpit USA" now, BTW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:51 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Here is some detail about how the current-issue USAF jackets were designed:

http://www.afa.org/magazine/1993/0993jacket.asp

Quote:
Maj. Mitch Driggers, a navigator in charge of the clothing division in the Pentagon, was assigned to get the jackets back into the Air Force flight clothing inventory. As quoted in Hell Bent for Leather by Derek Nelson and Dave Parsons, a book about the A-2 and Navy G-1 jackets, Major Driggers did not find the job easy.

“ The deeper I dug, I found out that there were no patterns,” he said. “In the old days, a series of drawings [was] done, and then they figured out the general dimensions.”

Major Driggers received from the Air Force Museum an A-2 jacket made in 1936. He found two manufacturers (Avirex and Willis & Geiger) that were still making them because of public demand. When the contract notice was issued, ten other manufacturers sent in bids. The contract was won by the Cooper Sportswear Manufacturing Co. of Newark, N. J., which opted to make the jackets out of goatskin instead of horsehide. The manufacturer had to obtain goatskin from Nigeria, Tasmania, and Pakistan because no source in the US was large enough.

The Air Force chose December 31, 1987, as the deadline for awarding a contract. Specifications were issued, and the procurement process began. The initial contract was for 53,000 seal-brown goatskin “traditional” USAAF A-2 jackets, to be delivered at a rate of 5,000 jackets per month. They would be worn with a leather name tag embossed with name, rank, wings, and “USAF” in silver on brown leather and would bear a major command patch. The first jackets were delivered in May 1988.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:55 pm 

I agree with Randy in that Cooper made a very historically accurate A-2. Unfortunatley that is "made" because the company no longer produces new jackets. There are several distributors out there that still have "new" Cooper A-2's, but you will probably find them in very limited sizes.

We issue an A-2 to our plane sponsors an A-2 when they complete their sponsorship. We used Cooper for the jackets up until they went out of business about 2 years ago. We now issue jackets from US Authentic. They will do a "very original" style jacket if that is what you are looking for. They will also add the interior pocket or side entry pockets if that is what you are looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:12 pm 

I have been collecting aviation clothing for over 30 yrs.
Hands down , Eastman Leather Clothing and Goodwear are the two BEST repro examples on the market.
DO NOT waste your time on Avirex, Cooper, Schott etc.
They are not even close to being accurate.
You will have to pay as they are pricey but 100% worth the money.
I wear an ELC Roughwear 1401 Russet Horsehide A2. It now has over 500 flying hours on it and gets better looking as it ages. Tough as nails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Django, what kind of paint are you using on the jacket?

I have wanted to do some artwork on my Avirex and I think its about time I did something!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:38 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Although not Anorak approved, this place has good value stuff (close enough for me):

http://www.leather.com/aviation/aviation.htm

Testor's enamel in the little bottles works well for painting leather jackets. I probably have 18 years on mine, painted by "noted" Chino aviation artist Bruce Crandall.