Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:41 pm 

See a day to day log on our recently completed jump school; our organization combines warbirds (C-47's) and living history in a fairly unique way.

http://www.wwiiadt.org/JSch09W.html

Regards,

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:13 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Now that is interesting. What does it cost to participate?

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:45 am 

The jump school training cost is $1250. This includes WWII ADT dues, insurance, food (three meals a day), lodging (barracks style), aircraft fees (5 jumps), parachute supplies and other supplies. The school lasts 9 days, although usually everything is wrapped up in 8 days. The first five days are all ground training, and the last 4 days are focused on getting the required 5 jumps to graduate. All jumps are from a WWII C-47, and all the training is conducted at our headquarters, located in the WWII Sub-Depot of the Frederick Army Air Field in Frederick, OK.

The full information package regarding jump school is at:

http://www.wwiiadt.org/Documents/Infopack.pdf

We also are always in need of ground support members for those who aren't interested in jumping out of airplanes (such as myself). We do everything from help with the aircraft, provide living history displays (on the ground) at airshows and veterans reunions, show people around the hangar, and almost anything else you can imagine. Ground membership is $50. I'll be glad to visit with anyone with questions!

Regards,

Andy

RyanShort1 wrote:
Now that is interesting. What does it cost to participate?

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:10 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

If you don't mind - one other question. How much would it cost to bring this in to an event if we could find the funds? Also what are the requirements?

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:23 am 

I'll PM you the contact information for our operations officer; he can answer your questions about event requirements and costs.

Regards,

Andy

RyanShort1 wrote:
If you don't mind - one other question. How much would it cost to bring this in to an event if we could find the funds? Also what are the requirements?

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:48 am 
Newly Minted Pilot

Wow! That's so COOL!! 8)

USAF 1984-1986

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That's a great link, I'd never seen anything showing the "day to day boring stuff" at ADT jump school before. I have been well aware of the ADT for years now and have toyed around with the idea of going through the school. Several friends of mine have gone through the training there. In re-enacting, Airborne has gotten to be a bad joke, as if at least 75% of all people who want to get into living history must do airborne (and probably a high percentage of those seem to want to do 506th. Go figure). I got into AB in the mid 90s and am slowly heading away from that impression. I will keep the jump suit and gear but it'll be like my AAF stuff (packed up and rarely seen by the public).
That being said, jumping from a C-47 is something I've always wanted to do. My problem is I'm not getting any younger (I will hit 40 this fall) and I had repetitive stress fractures when I was a real-life Army officer (which was the primary reason I cut that career short). While I managed to get two jumps with a NATO ally (and snuck aboard a CH-47 jump with some friends in another unit, long story there), I never got to the Army's Jump School. That's always been a sore spot for me as it was one of the main reasons I went ROTC in the first place.
I've flown WW2 bombers and fighter, jumped out an original LCVP with some "legs," crewed WW2 armor, shot live rounds through WW2 artillery and just about any kind of WW2 re-enactment experience a person can have short of actually shooting live ammo back and forth in real combat with Germans. I have always said this is about the last thing I haven't done within the hobby.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)