Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Mudge needs help
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Help me...help me...I'm trying to assemble enough WWII USAAF uniform pieces to do some reenacting. I've got pretty much everything I think I need with the exception of a dress tunic. My problem is, I'm 6'5" and 250 lbs. I tried "What Price Glory" but their 50L doesn't fit worth a darn. I should be wearing a 46L (which they're out of 'til "later this year"). Any of you troops know of someone who does "custom" work in WWII USAAF Class "A"'s?
Any assist would be greatly appreciated.

Mudge the hopelessly large :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:54 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mudge- Try WWII Impressions http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/usarmydress.html

I like Jerry Lee, but have never been really impressed with the quality of his offerings... While my 4 pocket blouse and shirts are from him, I have had to do extensive alteration to make them usable. Pockets too high, fit odd, etc. My crush cap looked like it came from a Bolivian dictator's collection...

WWII Impressions gear(which I saw in person at Ft indiantown Gap last year) looked first rate, and very well done... I haven't had a need to buy any form them yet, but next time I do, they are top of my list.

Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks Robbie.
I got the 50L tunic and pinks w/the chocolate shirt from Jerry. Kinda' disappointing. The tunic was too big even for me. My tailor says by the time she finished re-doing it, it would have cost about the same as if I'd bought a new one the right size. Yeah, and the pockets are obviously too high.
I ordered 42 waist 34 inseam pants and they were actually about 41Wx36L. I'm Having them tailored. I ordered 17x35 shirt, (which is exactly my size) and the sleeves are about 34 at best. The tie was trash material. I threw it away and bought regulation ones. Jerry said I could send the tunic back and order a 48L. Then I find that they don't even offer a 48L. GEEZ.
Yeah, disappointing is the best I can say about them.
I did find a tailor in India called "Replicators" that says he'll have what I need "later this year". He's got a money back guarantee on his stuff. You have to send him all your measurements and he guarantees a perfect fit. I'm waiting for him to tell me WHEN the tunics will be available.
Anyway, I'll try "Impressions". I think I've been there at some point during my 8-9 hours of searching, but I'll look again.

Mudge the researcher

Post subject: Re: Mudge needs help
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:08 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Mudge wrote:
Help me...help me...I'm trying to assemble enough WWII USAAF uniform pieces to do some reenacting.
Re-enacting what exactly? :lol:

I wouldn't re-enact because I would probably remind everyone of Oliver Hardy in the foreign legion. :oops:

bdk the portly....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:41 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mudge wrote:
Thanks Robbie.

Yeah, disappointing is the best I can say about them.
I did find a tailor in India called "Replicators" that says he'll have what I need "later this year".
Mudge the researcher

MUDGE!!!
Whatever you do, DO NOT SEND REPLICATORS NO MONEY UP FRONT! I know several people in the WWII reenacting world who have either never received items from him, or alternately been waiting YEARS for items they have ordered and paid for. He has lots of great pics on his site- many of which are directly taken from other sites. I am NOT saying he will rip you off- I know a few people who have received decent items from him. I AM saying I wouldn't buy anything from him as the negative experience list is far longer... And a lot of this experience has been talked about on the RAF list-
http://www.network54.com/Forum/180748/

The most recent posts are the only ones coming up when I did a search, but they must have purged the older ones frm about two years ago or so. They told more of the story.

There are plenty of WWII dealers about:
http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/index.html
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4395
http://www.garciaaviation.com/cgi-local/storepro5/agora.cgi?

to name a few...
Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:47 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for the heads up on Replicators. I'll make sure to ignore them. Thought it sounded too good to be true. I did find a place in the UK called "Sutlers" that I'm hoping can make a tunic to fit me. I've looked at all those places you listed, (trust me...9 hours of searching gets pretty thorough).
Problem is, none of those places make/have anything larger than a 46R. I'm 6'5", 250, and wear a 48 extra long jacket.
Hopefully, these folks in UK can do the job. I'm waiting for a reply now.

Mudge the frustrated :toimonster:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:59 am 

When my wife and I got married, we dressed in 1930's aviator gear. I shopped on ebay and everywhere else for an RAF Officers 4-pocket jacket with belt (I dressed as Roscoe Turner). No luck. Less than 3 weeks prior to the wedding I found Replicators and contacted them. They worked great for me and I received the jacket which fit to a T exactly 2 days prior to the wedding...whew! So....my experience with them was great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

wacoykc wrote:
When my wife and I got married, we dressed in 1930's aviator gear. I shopped on ebay and everywhere else for an RAF Officers 4-pocket jacket with belt (I dressed as Roscoe Turner). No luck. Less than 3 weeks prior to the wedding I found Replicators and contacted them. They worked great for me and I received the jacket which fit to a T exactly 2 days prior to the wedding...whew! So....my experience with them was great!

As I said- not all experiences are negative with them- But I know enough people who have had bad experiences to shy away... I have one friend still awaiting delivery after 5 years.

Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:25 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Now I need different help.
Shoulder holster:
I've seen two types.
One has just a strap over the shoulder and a loop that hooks to your belt.
The other has both those but it also has a strap that goes around the body just under your boobs. (Or my boobs in this case.) Which would be USAAF correct or does it matter?

Mudge the searcher :hide:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

One has just a strap over the shoulder and a loop that hooks to your belt
That One is more correct for most war periods, trhe other came in later in the war, and was not used as much by aircrews.

Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:27 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for all your input, troops. You've helped me solve a couple of problems.

Mudge the appreciative :drink3:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:30 am 

Mudge wrote:
I did find a place in the UK called "Sutlers" that I'm hoping can make a tunic to fit me.

Sutlers don't have a great reputation TBH on this side of the pond. Their stuff is very hit and miss, so you could be lucky......or probably not.

Their Class A's arn't that nice either TBH....but, being a collector as well as a Living Historian, I'm a bit picky about repro kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:12 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Firebird wrote:
Mudge wrote:
I did find a place in the UK called "Sutlers" that I'm hoping can make a tunic to fit me.

Sutlers don't have a great reputation TBH on this side of the pond. Their stuff is very hit and miss, so you could be lucky......or probably not.

Their Class A's arn't that nice either TBH....but, being a collector as well as a Living Historian, I'm a bit picky about repro kit.

OH CRAP...I REALLY didn't need to hear that. I just gave them $500+.

Mudge the worried :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mudge, what's your bra size for your man boobs?? :wink: there are other sources for what your looking for, & for better value too. i'll do some digging to see what i can come up with. where are you re-enacting this year??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:17 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Another problem has arisen. My B-3 life preserver. There's a strap that goes between my legs and up my back and is supposed to hook to something. What does it hook to? If there's supposed to be something on the collar of the life preserver for it to hook to...mine ain't got nuthin' like that.
Anyone...Bueller...anyone?

Mudge the frustrated :toimonster:

This is gettin' to be more of a PITA than it's worth.