Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Un-happy Campers?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:22 pm 

Heard there's been a "change of command" and some unhappy discussions between local reenactors and the folks at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum in Reading PA. Anybody know what happened and/or would care to comment? :(

Post subject: Re: Un-happy Campers?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:24 am 

I guess in the past that the powers that be that run the show basically treat the reenactors very poorly. Charging for ice, water and such. Amazing we do the CAF show in Midland and have no issues what so ever. :D

http://arizonagroundcrew.org/

1940's Army Air Force ground crew living history
(A 501 C 3 organization)
(IYAMYAS)

"Yes sir, it's suppose to look like that"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I've never been to Reading (I'm more than 2000 miles away) but from what I've heard from friends who have gone, it's more trouble than it'd be worth for me to go. I have heard there's a lot of bad blood between the "It's all about the planes" crowd and the "Let's make the whole place look WW2" bunch. It's come to a head more than once from what I've read but I'm as far from an insider as you can find.
Lots of bandwidth is being devoted to this on various pure re-enactor forums...

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:47 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I have attended WWII weekend every year since 1997. I am not a member of the museum. I have, however, made it a point to speak with Russ Strine and several reenactors about issues that have been washed over and not dealt with on the part of both parties for many years out of my personal interest in keeping the show going as it is. A few things about this:

1. There were no unhappy discussions between MAAM and reenactors. There was a change of re-enactor coordinator due to one resigning, there were posts on websites about the resignation and problems with the show, and some of this got back to the museum.

2. A few organizations had decided the show no longer met their needs and decided not to attend. Some of these groups did it in years past, and one I know for sure did not attend this year (but they also had an internal implosion that might have been more the reason than show issues). Despite this, the re-enactor registration for 2012 was 100 personnel over what it had been in years prior.

3. Russ Strine and Lee Schaeffer (reenactor coordinator) made efforts including asking additional notable leaders within the re-enactor community their opinions and suggestions, providing ice to re-enactor organizations, and staging meetings for several hours with re-enactor leadership in order to resolve issues to make the re-enactor experience smoother during 2012 and in future years.

4. My personal opinion is that the re-enactors allowed the bad feelings to build up without making effective official stink about it, and the museum was too busy running the show to notice the issues- as FDR said about a certain labor confrontation in the 1930's, "A plague on both your houses." I don't say this to put down the museum or the re-enactors in any way- as a leader of a re-enactor organization, warbird owner, re-enactor coordinator, and airshow committee member (not Reading), I know how busy real preparations get and that issues which should be dealt with sometimes get put on the sidelines for what seems more important at the time. That's how things which seem unimportant come to a head and cause massive headaches.

5. Reading, hands-down, is the best WWII show in the United States. I've been to numerous airshows, re-enactments, and living history events. This show, in my humble opinion, has become what Old Rhinebeck used to be- a complete immersion in a unique experience that you can't get anywhere else. I met several people from Germany, New Zealand, and other European countries who were returning to this show after their first time. Knowing the expense they went to, I'd say the 2000 mile trip would be worth it. This is a great show. If it wasn't as good as it is, I wouldn't work my but off every year and put aside valuable family time to make sure I make this show every time I could.

6. While I respect people's opinions on the show that put it in a negative spotlight, I would call your attention to the over 1000 re-enactors who attend this show, the 400 plus volunteers who run the show, and the $1000's of sponsor money that supports the show. While I don't want to attempt to discredit or call into account the negative opinions, my question to those who don't think much of the show is, "Why are all these people supporting it?" It makes me wonder if the public negative opinions have some other agenda. This event is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but the 20,000 public attendees who seem to return year after year tell me something different.

I didn't bring the aircraft to Reading this year, but still attended as a re-enactor, and had another experience which is why I attend every year. Behind our camp sat a Harley Davidson WLA. There was an older gentleman sitting on it while his son shot pictures. I saw the guy's hat had a Purple Heart on it, so went over to talk with him. I introduced myself, told him I had been a medic, and asked him how he got hurt and got his Purple Heart. He said, "Two Purple Hearts. I got hit in France and then went back to my unit (12th Armor Division when I asked him later). I got hit the second time 100 miles from Berlin on one of those." He pointed to the WLA.

June 7,8,9 2013. Don't miss it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:25 pm 

I've never been to Reading but by looking at the photos a LOT of the impressions need a LOT of help to be honest with you. Thats a BIG reason I will not go... that and the event falls on the week or weekend of my birthday June 6th... but that moreso and wanting to be with family on my birthday, rather than the impressions.

What I've seen of it though through photos... is that there is no organization with the impressions. They more or less just throw allies with allies and axis with axis. I think for both allies and the axis the impressions need to be organized by year(ex. 39', 40', 41', 42', 43'...etc..) This would allow for easier understanding for the public the difference and the changes in the uniforms, weapons and equipment of the war year... also so the public does become aware that what was worn at Pearly Harbor isn't a WWI doughboy and that they didn't wear that throughout WWII.. when you just throw impressions together the public isn't going to know which is correct. So, by organizing they can see the changes and understand.

I agree though... this is the MAAM's event... they can do what they want. They can have the reenactors or not... that ultimately lies with the MAAM.

Just my $.02

Regards,
Laggin' Dragon

Sgt. James Dunigan, III
U.S. 509th Composite Group
U.S. 393rd Bombardment Squadron
U.S. 20th Army Air Force
Tinian Is., The Marianas