Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:08 am 

Hi all

I found out this some time ago, did a search on the forum for "recognition models" without big success so I thought I could share it.

There is a community of people outhere doing woden recognition models, mostly still following the guidelines issued by the goverment during WWII. There was an effort at the time to put schools doing this kind of stuff to use for aircraft recognition. Their main HQ is this website:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net

There is a flickr group also with terrific pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/smm/pool/with/2732663132/

And for wetting the appetite I'll show you a Polikarpov I-16 Mosca by Oceaneer99 (flickr username)

If you want pictures, see rreis@flickr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:08 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I've got maybe 100 kits I've collected over the years. I'll probably get building when I retire...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:49 am 

Hi BDK. These doesn't come in kits. You got the plans, a piece of wood and saw-carve-sand away!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:18 am 
Account Suspended

I have lots of these 'kits' as well. They consist of; plans, several pieces of wood.., that's it!

Guillow's made them.. I have not tackled one yet. The rendering of the complete kit looks amazing.., but I can not imagine the effort to get there. I can imagine there were thousands of frustrated kids back in the early 50's when these came out who were in the same state of 'WTF'.., and put them way up on their top shelf.., waiting until Epay was born!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:23 am 

ah, it seems I should apologise? I was under the impression you just get the plans and found your own piece of wood so to speak, didn't knew actual "kits" were sold for these...

BDK, sorry for the confusion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:20 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Most of my kits are WW2 vintage and they even call them "recognition models" in some cases. Some are just blocks of wood (pine) and some have the profiles sawed on to them, "all" you have to do is remove the corners by planing and sanding to match templates.

Some of these models look pretty accurate, some are way off, like a Zero with an elliptical wing.

No problem with the confusion. Lots to learn! Thanks for bringing this up. It really was the genesis of the modern model kit. Kits went from wood props to plastic prop discs to cast zinc props to plastic props. Then the plastic details came along followed by the entire model being made of plastic.

There were also lots of variations in kits too- solid blocks of wood, profiled pieces of wood, stacks of wood sheet glued together, stringer and tissue, etc. I also have tanks, Ducks, Jeeps, Seeps, Jimmies & searchlights.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:33 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I've visited with folks who put together the recognition models in grade school to support the war effort. The Convalescent Wards at some of the Army Air Fields also let the soldiers in the hospital work on them as therapy/time-killing projects while laid up.

I made a mold and resin-cast some repair parts for a damaged B-29 recognition model for a friend years ago. It was very basic, but that I-16 is really detailed!

An excellent thread, rreis!
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:48 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

There were some factory produced recognition models made of hard rubber or some kind of plastic as well, were't there?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:25 pm 

bdk wrote:
There were some factory produced recognition models made of hard rubber or some kind of plastic as well, were't there?

I think you're right, full story here it seems: http://www.mikes-tanks.com/RecognitionModels.htm

Quote:
Recognition models, also referred to as ID models or spotters models, were used by the armed forces to train troops to identify ships, airplanes and ground vehicles. This aided in many areas, from preventing casualties from friendly fire, to better estimates of enemy troop strength. It was not unusual for spotter models to come in at least two scales. A small scale for students to use, and a large scale 'teachers model' to aid the instructor in describing the important aspects of a particular vehicle. Spotter models were made of many different materials, including lead/zinc alloys, plastic/cellulose acetate, and wood. In addition to recognition models, the government also issue recognition cards, pamphlets, and even used kites with airplane silhouettes to help train soldiers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:53 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Back when I had time I used to LOVE building solids. They are harder to detail than plastic, but you really feel like you've built something when you get done. I think I have 15 or so old kits from the 40s or so from Comet, Cadet, Hobby Model, Randles, etc... It took more imagination and creativity to create a model out of them, but I'll bet the boys who built them were more satisfied when they finished them.

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:19 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The B-29 I cast parts for was of the plastic/acetate variety.

S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

cripes they are even knocking off early ww 2 WOOD!! i.d. models?? i know well about the faux cellulose acetate junk. check out my article in the september / october 2009 issue of "warbirds international magazine" on the topic of silhouette i.d. models & memorabilia. the company, that is knocking off the cellulose repros has taken heat for even duplicating the dates on the models to ww 2. i've been told this practice was stopped by protest, & a buyer can now discern a repro from an original. i've yet to see a revised repro version.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:53 pm 

at his high school in Detroit, my dad made Boulton-Paul Defiant recognition models. Wish he'd kept a few of 'em...

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:48 pm 

The wartime Detroit school ID model program was especially interesting because they applied a manufacturing process to produce large quantities of wood models, rather than having children carving one plane at a time. The labor was spread out over many schools, each performing one step of production. Duplicating machines and jigs were designed to maintain accuracy. "Air Trails" magazine did an article about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:55 am