Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: F6F-5K
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

steve dickey wrote:
Nice either way! I think you and I have different books! Mine is by Bert Kinzey.

I have the In Detail and Scale book #28 by Kinzey but he did another one on the Hellcat (#49) which I do not have. The one I have has some info on drone Hellcats but not on the specific airplane that I replicated. I would love to find some evidence that "D94" wore the anti-glare panel at some point as I would add it to my model in a New York second! I'm working on a second Hellcat now which is going to be finished in post-war reserve markings, probably from VF-771 out of Los Alamitos.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:08 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Scott WRG Editor wrote:
Cool Stuff Chad. I like it.

Thanks Scott for the kind words and thank you as well for your time and effort in providing what I consider to be the best warbird related site on the web.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Took advantage of some fantastic flying weather today here in the Phoenix area and met up with my good friend and photographer extrordinaire Joe Balabon to finally get some long sought after flight pics of the Hellcat complete with drop tank. Thanks Joe! (Gonna have to work on that sagging tail wheel though!)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dudester, that is beyond excellent!!!!! :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:33 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks a bunch Inspector, much appreciated. Here are a few more from a very good day at the flying field.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:21 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

[quote="C VEICH"]Thanks a bunch Inspector, much appreciated. Here are a few more from a very good day at the flying field.

geek I know nothing about RC airframes pop2 , but how did you get the gear to cycle like the real McCoy? 8) Awesome :supz:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:46 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

gary1954 wrote:
I know nothing about RC airframes, but how did you get the gear to cycle like the real McCoy?

Hi Gary,

The landing gear is operated pneumatically and they just naturally cycle assymetrically. I would assume the hydraulic system in the full size works much the same way and for similar reasons. The only adjustment I made to the model was to put in a variable rate air valve which allows me to adjust the rate at which the gear retract and extend. Otherwise they snap up and down at a fantastic rate! Even with the adjustable valve they go up and down faster than scale but that's just the nature of the beast with pneumatics.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:52 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

C VEICH wrote:
gary1954 wrote:
I know nothing about RC airframes, but how did you get the gear to cycle like the real McCoy?

Hi Gary,

The landing gear is operated pneumatically and they just naturally cycle assymetrically. I would assume the hydraulic system in the full size works much the same way and for similar reasons. The only adjustment I made to the model was to put in a variable rate air valve which allows me to adjust the rate at which the gear retract and extend. Otherwise they snap up and down at a fantastic rate! Even with the adjustable valve they go up and down faster than scale but that's just the nature of the beast with pneumatics.

Awsome I would not imagined that geek ....is it electric battery operated geek , or a sure'nuff radial gas engine 8) pop2 ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

gary1954 wrote:
....is it electric battery operated, or a sure'nuff radial gas engine?

My Hellcat is a bit small for the available radial powerplants Gary, not that I could afford one anyway! My model uses a typical single cylinder, two stroke model aircraft engine of .91 cu/in displacement like the one in this picture. (With the exception of the muffler which is of a different style in order to stay within the confines of the cowl.)

In order to maintain something of a scale appearance I have used a 3/4" long shaft extension on the engine in order to push it back in the cowling thus allowing room for a dummy radial in front to hide the actual powerplant. For the most part anyway. Still have to make some concession for feeding air to the engine but it serves to fool the eye if only at a glance and from a few feet away. This one is rather simplified since the model was only intended for sport flying and not for competition but the level of detail is only limited by the skill and patience of the builder.

And under the auspices of giving some idea of the relative size of the model this last picture is of my beautiful better half posing with the Hellcat. She is quite the trooper for taking the time to humor her "airplane-geek" husband. The model is 1/8 scale by the way, wingspan of 64 inches, and it weighs a bit less than 12 pounds ready to fly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:00 pm 

i have got to say that model looks amazing! it looks so real!

i wish they was a warbird flying with these markings!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:25 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

C VEICH wrote:
gary1954 wrote:

The false radial trick is a great idea....the cowling looks like it affords adequate.....breathing for the engine (...yes thats it..the engine).
That full size model however....... :drink3:.... well now that gets two thumbs up... :D ...she does make that aeroplane look awesome :supz: you are blessed that you have a woman that steps into your hobby instead of stepping on it. my ex-wife :roll: hated airplanes because they "smelled" :shock: , leaked :shock: and dripped oil :shock: ; she never understood that they are supposed to smell :D , drip :D , and sometimes leak a little oil :P . There is hope for mankind after all.. :wink: ....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:27 pm 

The Hellcat looks great! I was going to ask if you had decided to use the RCV but it looks like you just answered my question. I've got an old Sterling P-63 on the shelf that I always thought would be a good candidate for an RCV but I never did enough research on their reliability.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Greg, would it be feasible or possible to have a prop shaft the length required to actually have a behind the seat mounted power plant? or would the length actually cause the powerplant to over torque the shaft to the point of shaft failure. I'm axing because I don't know the specs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:56 pm 

That's a neat idea and I think with enough engineering one could make it work. You'd have to have a carrier bearing out front for the prop shaft, enough cooling and breathing air for the engine, and worry about getting the exhaust out of the fuselage. You could use the scale air intakes for cooling and carb air and then use scale exhaust stacks on the sides of the fuse!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:05 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Sounds like a great engineering project for one that doesn't mind engineering.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next