Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: First model in 30 years!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

After more than 30 years, I decided to try my hand at modelling again. I found an old 1/48 Monogram TBM kit on eBay. I remember this kit haunting me as a kid the first time I built it. I didn't have the skills to really build it properly. It's been a fun process this time, however, I think I may have screwed something up:

When I went to paint the frame rails on the turret, I messed up so I put thinner on the turret to remove the paint. Not only did it remove the paint, but it made the clear plastic turret go cloudy. Is there a way to clear the plastic up again or do I have to live with my mistake?

I have learned that modelling is kind of like riding a bike. I picked things back up again, but in spite of having much greater mechanical skill, my modelling skill is still pretty much where it was left off when I built my last model.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:09 am 

Try coating it with Pledge Floor wax with Future Shine. You can get it at either Walmart or a grocery store.
You can either put it on with a brush or Qtip or spray it. This is also good for also sealing in your decals.

Mark Fidler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:46 pm 

I second future. Get the paint off, wash the parts with soap and water and dip parts in future, stand them up on a paper towel to dry over night. The paper towel will wick off the excess future.
As mentioned before, good for decals. Paint the model and let paint cure. Brush on a coat of future, dry overnight then decals, another coat of future, dry overnight, dullcoat, done.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:30 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

B-17 guy wrote:
I second future. Get the paint off, wash the parts with soap and water and dip parts in future, stand them up on a paper towel to dry over night. The paper towel will wick off the excess future.
As mentioned before, good for decals. Paint the model and let paint cure. Brush on a coat of future, dry overnight then decals, another coat of future, dry overnight, dullcoat, done.

This went over my head like an F-4 with AB on departure.....when is this (above) done?

Gary the curious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:49 pm 

Build model, paint all the main colors on al let the paint cure. Before you remove masking, spray, or brush on a coat of future over the whole model. Put all you decals on, then put another coat of future on, especially over the decals. Let this all cure for a a day or two, then you can spray dullcoat on if you want. Alot of guys will do weathering before dullcoating also.

The main reson for the future coats is to give the decals a nice even surface to sit on when using flat paints, it's the best way to avoid silvering of the decals and can make them look painted on by hiding the decal carrier film. Plus a flat painted model with glossy decals funny.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

B-17 guy wrote:
Build model, paint all the main colors on al let the paint cure. Before you remove masking, spray, or brush on a coat of future over the whole model. Put all you decals on, then put another coat of future on, especially over the decals. Let this all cure for a a day or two, then you can spray dullcoat on if you want. Alot of guys will do weathering before dullcoating also.

The main reson for the future coats is to give the decals a nice even surface to sit on when using flat paints, it's the best way to avoid silvering of the decals and can make them look painted on by hiding the decal carrier film. Plus a flat painted model with glossy decals funny.

Swing by the local hobby shop and pick up a couple copies of modelling magazines like SCALE MODELLER, every issue is full of hints and tips, even some of the car tips can be addapted for aircraft models.