Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:27 am 

How many of you are R/C modelers/operators?

To constrain my expenditures, I've dedicated myself to two scales 1/12th and 1/5th. I only have one 1/5th plane, but just got planes for another. It's a scale for really small aircraft. 1/12th is my main area of interest as a modeler. I only have one fun scale 1/12th completed and one fine scale nearing completion (OH-6A), but am quickly working on a fine scale R/C P-61A which has been my favorite warbird since I was 10 or so.

My interest is to be able to have diorama's where everything is to scale. While fighters in 1/12th might be on the small side (though still possible) multi engine planes are doable and affordable. Figures exist, if not plentiful then at least accessible. I'm hoping to have a Flight tower and a vehicle or two acquired this year.

Anyone else as nutty as I am? Anyone else putting together dioramas for R/C shows?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hi RCB,

Not too many R/C modelers here but the guys have been very receptive to the ones I've posted pictures of. I do mostly WW2 scale stuff myself these days and rarely build anything other than my own designs. I would love to see some pics of your work as would, I'm sure, many of the other members. Welcome to WIX!

PS - If you have not been there already may I recommend you visit www.rcscalebuilder.com. Best rc scale web site on the net.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:57 pm 

I started flying about 12 years ago and didn't make it out for a couple years but I re entered the hobby last year. I made up for the lost time too because I ended up buying three electric ARF's, a Ziroli P-40 kit (long term project) and I bought and built a 76.5" Great Planes Cub! Up until last year all I ever flew were glow planes and sort of resisted the whole electric movement but electrics were what enabled me to get back into it again. Cheap too! With a couple jobs and a baby I don't have that much flying time on my hands but I can keep a plane or two in the car now and stop off in a few different places on my way home from work, and I've also got enough room to fly behind work while at lunch. Really brightens up your day!

Please show us your P-61 (at least)!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:18 pm 

Yep, I'm on rcscalebuilders... same user name. Great site.

My wife and I are fairly new parents ourselves... to 9 month old twins, so time is a premium but not terrible. Amazing what eschewing tv can do for you.

Ill get some photos here soon ( as time permits). I've really enjoyed the advent of brushless motors and lipos. Right now I am reading up on vacuum bagging. I haven't touched the wings yet. Planning on sheeted foam core. The fuse and booms I am wanting to try a fiberglass mold. I've never tried anything so large in fiberglass even though the booms are only 3 feet long. I need to keep it light. Of course its also cold right now. I'm definitely going to wait to do it outside.

Anyhow, I'll get some pics of the plugs and see what you guys think.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:20 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm more of a plastic modeler but enjoy seeing the r/c stuff as well. I've got a couple mini ready-to-fly's. T-28 and Aeronca Champ.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:08 pm 

I am an avid rc moddeler. Started when I was 6, today I mostly fly electric models. I also started with fpv flying, but here I am still a newbie :)

Will be moving on to more scale models this year. Will later this year begin to compete in F4H, then move slowly towards F4C.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:05 am 

I've been into RC for about 9 years. Lately it's mainly electric foamies - T-28, F3F, Stearman, B-17. Every once in a while I hear the glow/glass planes hanging up in the hanger calling me, but that would require me to cut back working on the 1:1 scale stuff. I do have a stack of ARFs and kits in the closet that I fully intend to get to 'one of these days'.

Chuck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:10 am 

I got back into RC last year after taking a 10 or so year hiatus in the hobby. I too am just messing around with the electric aircraft for now. Here's just a couple of mine. Got a BIG glider coming, so I can attempt to not lose my Go Pro. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:26 pm 

Looks like the Dynam Texan? I bought a Dynam Cub last year and was happy with it. Quality was good and it flies really nice. I've had some issues with the other electrics I bought last year though and I'm becoming pretty scared of the cheap Chinese stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:27 pm 

I fly RC as well. I'm a big Parkzone fan. I have most of their warbirds. I do quite a bit of magazine photography for Model Airplane News and Fly RC. Click on the links in my signature below to see my photos. I do all the photography for Frank Tiano and his big events. Top Gun, FL Jets, and Monster Planes. Fun stuff.

Here is a recent cover photo of mine.

Fly RC March 2013 Cover photo by dwhart24, on Flickr

http://www.warbirdandrcairplanephotography.com

flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46202366@N07/sets/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:31 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dwhart24 wrote:
I fly RC as well. I'm a big Parkzone fan. I have most of their warbirds. I do quite a bit of magazine photography for Model Airplane News and Fly RC. Click on the links in my signature below to see my photos. I do all the photography for Frank Tiano and his big events. Top Gun, FL Jets, and Monster Planes. Fun stuff.

I'm very familair with your work, awesome stuff! I'm kneck deep in a build for a well known competitor which I hope will be a team scale entry at TG in the not too distant future. If not TG then at least a Monster Planes participant! Maybe we will cross paths at some point.

Here are two of mine that are currently airworthy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:33 am 

Thanks Veich! Nice birds you have there. I think you posted pics of the Hellcat on RCU in the scale photo thread. Look me up if you make it to Lakeland. I really enjoy bs'ing with all the guys down there.

http://www.warbirdandrcairplanephotography.com

flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46202366@N07/sets/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dwhart24 wrote:
Thanks Veich! Nice birds you have there. I think you posted pics of the Hellcat on RCU in the scale photo thread. Look me up if you make it to Lakeland. I really enjoy bs'ing with all the guys down there.

Thanks David. Like a proud papa I have posted pics of the Hellcat all over the place so chances are you've seen it before. I always enjoy putting faces to names and will certainly look you up if I get to Lakeland for any of FT's events. I will most likely be at WOTR this year as well so if you happen to be there give me a shout.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:26 am 

My dad flew RC for as long as I can remember, but I'm pretty recent, only started flying last fall. Still, couldn't resist modifying my trainer with a bit of warpaint.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:03 am 

Hi. Well I'm starting a long term project to do a fully detailed Harvard in 1/3 scale. Very large static model. After that I want to do one for RC, minus most of the interior detail of course for weight saving, but lets see. I just have one MAJOR problem, where to obtain blueprint plans for the Harvard. I have the 1/5 Ziroli plans but they are essentially useless for building a 1/3 with all interior detail excactly as on the real Harvard. Any help would be appreciated. Most notably, the first thing I need are accurate scale drawings of the fuselage bulkheads in the rear fuselage. Cheers