Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:30 pm 

I met General Frank Gailer at the Friend of the Aces meetings. Frank Gailer was on the 357th Fighter Group, and was also wingman for Chuck Yeager.

I was inspired to build for him his Mustangs, Jeesil Peesil Mommy and Expectant.

Roy Grinnell painted Expectant in the incredible tale of two FW190 for the price of one in the painting called "I'll Be Damned!".

Click on the thumbnails to enlarge the photos.

Jeesil Peesil Mommy

Image Image Image

In the first photo, I'm talking to General Frank Gailer about the paper model.

Next, General Gailer is talking to Lt. James Empey, ace of WWII in another P-51 Mustang, the "Little Ambassador". In the back, smiling and looking over, is Colonel Dean Caswell, F4U Corsair ace.

Third photo is of General Gailer is talking to Col. Dick Cole (Jimmy Doolittle co-pilot in the B-25 #1 of the Doolittle Raiders). And in the back, Lt. Empey talks to other pilots.

The last photo is of General Frank Gailer posing for the camera with the P-51 Mustang Jeesil Peesil Mommy.

Expectant

And then I built the last Mustang General Frank Gailer flew in World War II, when in Thanksgiving day 1944 he was shot down (by another Mustang, I may add, with "friendly fire"), bailed out and was taken prisioner in Germany.

Image Image Image Image

The General, the Mustang and me.

And present was Roy Grinnell, official artist of the American Fighter Aces Association, who was presenting his book on paintings. I had the privilege of having myself a copy and have it signed by 3 aces presented in the book.

And here is the General signing the book, on the page where the painting depicts his score.

Both Mustang paper models are on display somewhere in the General's house or office.

If allowed, I can post the e-store where the paper models can be bought.