Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:51 am 

Good morning , everyone:

I thought I'd try something different. (For me, at least - smile.) I'd like to model Robert Conrad's TV mount from the TV series Baa Baa Black Sheep, the one that says MAJ BOYINGTON below the canopy. I mainly model WW II Pacific theatre aircraft and have done the research for Boyington's actual a/c, (Not the show plane White 86.) including his AVG mount, Grey 21, for my historically correct builds. However, I grew up on BBBS and would love to model both Conrad's Corsair along with Byron Chang's character's (Tomio Harachi) AT-6 replica A6M2 Zero as a fun build.

I've seen a list of Corsairs used in BBBS mentioned on this forum and wonder if anybody could assist me in identifying which variant was Conrad's Corsair, F4U-1A, FG-1D,F4U-4B, or F4U-7?

Thank you in advance and wishing you and yours a very warm holiday season and a healthy happy new year.

Very Best Regards,

Bert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:29 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

It's been years since I've seen the show, but I know they constantly mixed and matched aircraft footage as needed...that's why they didn't paint numbers on the planes. It seems like Conrad was often shown climbing into and out of a -4, but I'm not sure. I would assume the art department just painted the name on whatever plane was handy for that day's shoot. Of course, all the cokpit closeups were done with mockups in a studio.

Cheers!

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:43 am 

Thanks, Steve. That makes sense. That also saves me from having to procure a - 7, which saves me a little money as I have a very nice - 4 on hand. Thanks again and happy holidays.

Bert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:42 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

While they did mix and match as necessary I belive Conrad was seen climbing into the F4U-7 in most cases. While the series was being filmed Conrad started to or did get his Private Pilot license in hopes of or dreams of actually flying the Corsair. I remember one sequence where you can actually see Conrad taxiing the F4U-7, park it, shut it down and then climb out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:16 am 

I believe there was an old kit that was specific from the tv show. Old revell kit in 1/32, pretty sure there were a few more in the series. I know for sure there was at least the corsair and a zero. BaaBaa blacksheep on the boxart.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The prototype -7 (which was a special version specifically for the French Navy) first flew in July of 1952. So modelling one as a -7 in MARINES WW2 markings would be as accurate as showing up for the 1939 Indy 500 in a 2013 Indycar DALARA chassis.
As I understand it, in a scramble, you ran to the closest airplane and none were technically 'assigned' to any particular pilot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:46 pm 

The Inspector wrote:
The prototype -7 (which was a special version specifically for the French Navy) first flew in July of 1952. So modelling one as a -7 in MARINES WW2 markings would be as accurate as showing up for the 1939 Indy 500 in a 2013 Indycar DALARA chassis.
As I understand it, in a scramble, you ran to the closest airplane and none were technically 'assigned' to any particular pilot.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I understand that this is historically inaccurate. The whole purpose of this is strictly a "fun/nostalgia build." I am aware of the purpose-built airframe for the French. I'm also aware that the Victory Bond Tour Corsair, Lulubelle, was never flown by Boyington in combat. I believe he shared 883 and was shot down in 915, F4U-1A. (-1D &/or Birdcage?)

Additionally, Harachi's Zero will be a modified (Kit-bashed, lol) Occidental T-6G Texan with parts from a Hasegawa A6M2b. I was able to review some of the BBBS episodes on YouTube and it is indeed the -7 that sports 'MAJ. BOYINGTON' with kill markings under the canopy rail. I too am a stickler for accuracy, however, for the desired subject (The show, not the actual WW2 a/c.) this is accurate and will be displayed and described as such.

I remember building the Revell 1/32 BBBS Corsair and Zero, mentioned in a previous post, as a child. IIRC, it was a rebox of their F4U-1D (Kepford's White 29?) and A6M5(c?) respectively. Thanks again for all your replies. I really do appreciate your assistance.

Very Best Regards,

Bert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

if you put a pilot figure w/ the model don't forget the eveready battery on Conrad's SHOULDER........... "I dare you to knock this off my shoulder..... come on..... I dare ya!!! :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:55 pm 

tom d. friedman wrote:
if you put a pilot figure w/ the model don't forget the eveready battery on Conrad's SHOULDER........... "I dare you to knock this off my shoulder..... come on..... I dare ya!!! :lol: :wink:

Funny, I'd do that. Btw, I've been watching more than a few old episodes and have identified at least two different markings for the lead a/c. Kinda brings me back. The T-6 to A6M conversion, now THAT should be interesting. A big thank you to all who contributed. :-)

Very Best Regards

Bert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:37 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

B-17 guy wrote:
I believe there was an old kit that was specific from the tv show. Old revell kit in 1/32, pretty sure there were a few more in the series. I know for sure there was at least the corsair and a zero. BaaBaa blacksheep on the boxart.

Yep, Revell did "Blacksheep" editions of their 1/32 Corsair and Zero..I had both. The Corsair was an F4U-1D in "Lulubelle" markings, and was an older kit covered in rivets and with folding wings (I couldn't get the hinges to work properly, so I glued them in place.) The Zero was an A6M5, although weirdly the boxtop had a rather blurry photo of a trio of T-6 conversions. That kit was actually quite nice, with engraved surface detail..which was pretty rare in the 1970s.

SN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One of the Corsairs used in filming...not necessarily "Pappy"s" bird...was a F4U-7, Bu133714 (N33714) to be exact.
It was owned by a local man, John J. Schafhausen. I know his son and he told me that since his father was free to travel to LA for shooting, they used his aircraft quite a bit. His son was a teenager at the time and was there for some of the filming. He said they were there for a couple of weeks doing the pilot film and getting much of the stock footage used throughout the series. then his dad would fly down to California as needed when the needed extra Corsairs.

This is confirmed in the Flying magazine story by Gordon Baxter. He names several of the Corsairs owners used in the filming..as does an Air Classics article that said 2 -7s were used and three FG-1s.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:41 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

JohnB wrote:
One of the Corsairs used in filming...not necessarily "Pappy"s" bird...was a F4U-7, Bu133714 (N33714) to be exact.
It was owned by a local man, John J. Schafhausen. I know his son and he told me that since his father was free to travel to LA for shooting, they used his aircraft quite a bit. His son was a teenager at the time and was there for some of the filming. He said they were there for a couple of weeks doing the pilot film and getting much of the stock footage used throughout the series. then his dad would fly down to California as needed when the needed extra Corsairs.

This is confirmed in the Flying magazine story by Gordon Baxter. He names several of the Corsairs owners used in the filming..as does an Air Classics article that said 2 -7s were used and three FG-1s.

Here is a list of the Corsairs used in BBBS.

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/corsairr ... html#sheep

Last edited by mike furline on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:49 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

mike furline wrote:
JohnB wrote:

Here is a list the Corsairs used in BBBS.

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/corsairr ... html#sheep

This one is John's dash-7.
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/corsairr ... 33714.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I seem to recall one of the BBBS articles mentioned an oddball, one only long winged T-28 camera plane that was painted Gloss Sea Blue so it would blend in if caught on camera.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The Inspector wrote:
I seem to recall one of the BBBS articles mentioned an oddball, one only long winged T-28 camera plane that was painted Gloss Sea Blue so it would blend in if caught on camera.

As I recall articles of the period, a cameraman faced aft in the Trojan...and the tail surfaces were painted blue so they could get "Watch it Pappy, there's a Zeke on your tail!!!" shots. Don't know if the entire aircraft was painted.