Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:24 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Calvin and Hobbes: Best...Comic...Ever! 8)

This is one of my faves...

SN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

calvin & hobbes........ a comic strip reflective of my youth with models. bummer it's not around any more!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:22 pm 

I remember a Guillows balsa and tissue kit I built, and attached some fireworks on the wing roots, then I wound up the rubberband engine. I knew just how long it would fly and it did really well. till the fireworks on the wings caught fire from my lighter just as it launched and what a inflight explosion it had. Made a nice crash. Three weeks to build, three minutes to destroy.

Kurt :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

that's what a botch job is all about. i do have some survivors though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:38 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The joy of a Guillow's glider + an Estes rocket engine. It dosent get much more fun than that! :lol:

My friend and I figured out you could duct tape an A, B, or C sized motor to one of the little Estes rubber band planes w/o propellor and it makes for a pretty good improvised ME-163 (Just as dangerous too!)

One flight I told my friend to tape on a new motor, and specifically told him to use new tape (so of course he didnt...) I still remember the motor popping off of the airplane and doing a perfect pinwheel right in between us at eye-level :shock: It could hav easily flown right into one of use...but it didnt...so its funny! :lol:

Then there was that time my neighbor called to make sure my house wasnt on fire after an Estes D motor decided to fly off with out my home made rocket... :lol:

I just finished building an Estes Space Ship One model and I am currently working on a Guillows Cessna 172...and I've got about 50 brand new rocket motors in the basement... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:42 am 
No Longer Active - per request

Deleted

Last edited by Former Member on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:54 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

John, the Bazooka sounds fun!

Have you guys ever built a "potato cannon" out of PVC? A friend of mine built one, and it was tons of fun!

Hmm a Rocket powered Cessna? I had been planning to just hang it from my ceiling but now you've got wondering... :lol:

I got the rocket and model building bug from my father (i'm 24...and still a kid at heart :wink: )...he has a ton of stories involving the usual rocket engines, burning models etc...

I also have heard stories from my great uncle about building wooden kits, giving them a fresh coat of dope and sending them on their first and last flights...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:53 pm 

Deleted

Last edited by Former Member on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i've shot potatos, apples, oranges, water bottles etc out of my friend's tater gun. years ago, when i lived in my 1st home my neighbor had a crappy shed that was an eye sore, all rusty & deteriorating. well........ i felt compelled to ventilate it a little. 4 taters right through the rusty metal, bazzooka style. if you do it correctly those guns pack a wallop!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:19 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

tom d. friedman wrote:
if you do it correctly those guns pack a wallop!!!

No kidding! :lol: I watched my buddy dent the side of the bed of a dump truck parked at a construction site across the street from his house. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:34 pm 

I have another story... not a destruction story but a near miss one if you will. Please bear with me as I tell a small tale. :)

I built a beautiful battery powered version of the Bismarck... about 18 inches long. When it was finally complete, I took it down to the local park that had two stocked trout ponds and let her loose. As I walked along the shore admiring her cruising along, she hit a patch of weeds that pushed the rudder knocking the ship into a permanent circle right in the middle of the pond. :shock: After pondering what to do for about five minutes, she suddenly straightened out and headed back to where she started. Then she hit another patch of weeds and started her circle path again. Geesh, now that I'm typing this, didn't the real Bismarck get hit in the rudder and cause her to go off course?! :shock: Wow... the irony!! :P

Anyways, she's spinning in circles and starting to slow down... and... is she getting lower in the water?! Augh, she was sinking! :shock: Let her go? Not on your life, I just slaved over that model for weeks, I'm not about to just let her go. :x I doffed my shoes and shirt, jumped in and swam out to the sinking ship. Just before I reached her, she dropped her stern, the bow rose in the air and quickly slipped beneath the surface. I grabbed down frantically and got lucky... found her and pulled her back up. I drove home trying not to get the seat wet on the truck... that was an accomplishment let me tell you. I cleaned her up and mounted her on top of the aquarium never to sail again. :)

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:02 pm 

Deleted

Last edited by Former Member on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

excellent story!!!

Post subject: LOL
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:57 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

LOL....Brings good memory.

Trying to explode a 1/72 Spit. Fill it with matches head. Light it up......Kaboom !!!!!! Nope......Melted plastico pizzafire.

OK, Launch Matchbox 1/72 Stuka with taped on rocket motor on rocket ramp.

Fuselage take off successfull....wings....errrr departed fuselage after 2 feet. Fuselage......went horizontal at about 3 feet AGL......Kids.....run like hell.

Found this on youtube. First one is funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19vtkUW_v04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AQO-w55rus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKm-ZnTjtBk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:48 pm 

jpeters wrote:
Funny story Mark...it almost sounds like what happened to the real thing (except for the part of being saved). :lol: :wink:
John

tom d. friedman wrote:
excellent story!!!

Thanks guys, always willing to share a chuckle :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next