Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:31 pm 

My favorite experience was with a Renwal "Visible Polaris Submarine"...USS Andrew Jackson I think...anyway, the whole side of the sub folded down so you could see all the equipment and bulkheads and machinery inside. Upon reaching teenager-hood and finally obtaining a B-B gun (YESSSS! :supz: ), I decided to commit the sub to a sacrifical sea battle, and thus an honorable burial at sea. I carefully sealed all the compartments closed and then glued the side of the hull shut. I also strung some fishing weights under the hull so it would float upright. Then with great anticipation, me and my little brother David headed for the town pond!

We tossed the sub into the pond on the upwind side and hiked around to the downwind side of the pond to wait for it to drift across...into range of our mighty cannon! Even though the sub was still way out of range, we took turns firing..."lobbing" shots in the direction of the sub, like a Confederate fort raining shot down upon the Union ironclads trying to force their entrance into Charleston Harbor. Slowly the sub drifted our way, and every now and then one of us would get a lucky shot and hit the sub...but that stout hull resisted the plunging B-B fire, the shots richocheting harmlessly off it's flanks into the water...drat! Still we fired on, enjoying watching the arcing trajectory of each shot, gauging the wind and sea, trying with all our might to penetrate the ship's fearsome armor.

There we sat on shore that beautiful summer day...the wind alternately drifting the sub our way...then pulling it back out of reach. Relentlessly we kept up our withering rifle assault, though mostly to no avail. Brilliantly--we thought--we re-oiled rifle's pump mechanism, hoping for more air power from the lever action, trying to obtain the slightest bit more range and power behind each shot. Finally...Ah HAH!...take that you plundering enemy!...A SOLID HIT!! :snipe: Now our shots were becoming more accurate and hitting the sub more often. And finally, every now and then a small hole would appear in the topside plastic...or a piece of periscope or superstructure would flick away from the model as we hammered away at it. DINK...A HIT!...splash, splash...DINK!...another HIT, then splish, sploosh...yet more confounding misses! CURSES!!

On and on it went, with Dave and I pouring shot into the infernal enemy craft. This was the heroic stuff of young boys' dreams...us brothers-in-arms, battling away with all our shooting skills, keeping the plucky enemy craft at bay. And the dastardly submarine, maneuvering through the wind's swells, testing the approach to our shore, probing our defenses...it was a monumental battle to the death! :minigun: Who would win? Who would run out of ammo first?!! Who could even remember that this was just a model?!!!

After what seemed like hours (though probably less than one), both of us were getting a little more than frustrated with the never-ending battle and the flukey winds that kept the sub from coming in close enough so that we could accurately hammer some B-B shot into it. And I was starting to wish I hadn't sealed up all those compartments so well that the darn thing refused to sink, no matter how many times or in how many places we hit it. But then, after a particularly vicious series of waterline hits, she started to take a list...HURRAH! We were getting the upper hand!

With renewed vigor, we REMEMBERED PEARL HARBOR! and started drilling into the wounded warrior through the ever-widening shot holes in the hull. And as often happens in any great sea battle, Lady Luck finally chose one side over the other, and our six minutes high over the unprotected enemy carriers at Midway began in ernest, with the wind pushing the sub into point blank range.

DINK...DINK...DINK...DINK...kerPLUNK!...with a splash the nosecone of the sub blew away and disappeared out of sight. Slowly the vessel nosed down...the sea flooding through the gaping wound, crushing in bulkheads as the relentless waves claimed one compartment after the next! The forward deck of the sub went under, the screw helplessly thrashing the air (no, really... :wink: ) and the stern tilted skyward. In a last defiant gesture, the stricken warrior bobbed tail high in the waves...slipping AWAY from us, struggling valiantly for sea room as she made for open sea and freedom. Nooooooo!! :shock:

But it was not to be! My brother grabbed the B-B gun from me and boldly ran into the mud at the shore, leveling the snarling cannon directly at the sub's pointed tailcone and unleased shot after shot into it until the afterdeck, shaft and screw carried away! With the coup de grace thus savagely administered, and the final air hissing away from within the hull's confines, the gallant combatant slowly slipped beneath the waves...hull groaning into the abyss, and with her sinking, passing as well into the hallowed annals of nautical model history! :cry:

A quiet descended upon the embattled pond shore and as the waves of fury stilled within us, the summer's peace softly returned. All of a sudden you could hear the gentle wind rustling through the trees again, and the humming of the insects. And it felt wonderful to feel the July sun's warmth upon our faces, honored to have engaged and vanquished such a gallant foe....a fitting end to a favored model. We looked at each other a little sadly, sorry to have finished our epic battle and somewhat empty now that it was over and the experience would not be repeated now that the sub was lost forever to Davy Jones Locker.

But WAIT!....lost forever??! Heck no, I thought! I have a little brother here beside me!!

"David...trade you my Ernie Banks baseball card if you'll go in after the sub!!"

So of course you know how things like that work out!

And for years afterwards...a stout and valiant warrior of a great and terrible sea battle graced our room's bookshelves, reminding us both of that fabulous summer day when my brother David and I stood toe-to-toe with (modeling) history, and emerged VICTORIOUS!

--Tom
arrrrggggh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:28 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

That was a GREAT read Tom! Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

well narrated, & you cleaned up your toxic plastic & glue mess too. you get a merit badge for being good little kids & :pirate for being good delinquents!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:02 pm 

Excellent story Tom... thanks for sharing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:14 pm 

Thanks guys...fun stuff and great memories, to be sure.
I miss being a kid!

--Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:55 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Tom,

I still have most of the interior fittings and parts from my visible sub. Every so often I dig in my parts boxes and find something from that kit and smile. I've recycled some of the pieces into various projects over the years, but the forty year old paint is thick and hard to strip!

My claim to fame as far as model destruction is the sinking of a USS Constitution--the BIG one. I was ten or eleven when I got it as a gift from our neighbors for mowing their lawn one summer. I spent over a year building the thing with all the ratlines and rigging just as the instructions called out. My mom was actually impressed with my handiwork and let me display it on the TV, a place of honor in our home. After a few years and several broken pieces due to cleaning attempts, she asked me to move it to my bedroom or somewhere else. My solution was to take it down to our pond (farmkid) and try to float it. Too much tophamper and not enough ballast. SOOO--- my little brother and I simply found a "sandbar" to secure the ship's keel onto and we unloaded about 200 rounds of .22 shorts into the poor thing! :snipe: Now I suppose the unbuilt kit is worth about two jillion dollars on epay, but we did have a fun afternoon destroying mine.

Ah, memories!
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

My life came full circle last week. My nephew built one of those large fabric-covered balsa r/c planes but his folks could never afford the engines. He got tired of it sitting around, and asked for me to help him send it off with a good burst from my two airsoft guns. I weighed down the Corsair's nose, we built a simple large slingshot launcher and sent it on it's way. Halfway along it's flight, myself and a friend stood with airsoft guns on full-auto, shooing black pellets. I'd filled it with cap gun caps and black powder, thinking a lucky hit could set it off. It worked pretty well.
We videotaped the corsair going past, taking one heck of a long AAA strike, roll over and crash and burn (really, it did) but sadly, his camera skills were very poor and you can't see much at all. I wish I'd set up my digital camera on a tripod but didn't think of it until later. Still, it was nice introducing this to a new generation!
If anyone cares, here's what we shot up the Corsair with. Both are made of metal:

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:47 pm 

Geez man, didn't stand a chance did he????????

Nicely done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:46 pm 

When I was 10 years old I thought I would try to create a "crash and burn" scenario. I set up a string from my sisters bedroom window to the ground, melted a hook into a 1/72 mustang, stuffed it with paper, and set it on it's merry way. I was dissapointed with the amount of flames , so added a little petrol (sorry, gas for all you Yanks :D )from a can when it was lying on the ground. This was not a good idea as the petrol in the can ignited causing me to drop it. In the folowing inferno I kicked the can, spilling petrol all up the doors of the barn next to my house. I took one look at what I had done and did what anyone would do, I hid under my bed. The fire service and police arrived , but fortunately my big cousin had managed to put the fire out with the garden hose.Ahh the memories..... :crispy:

If you are going through he11 - keep going - Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:42 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I hate to throw models away when they were damaged, but I used so moch glue that they were almost impossiable to get any salvagable parts off of them. So I decieded to turn them into a silhouette. I set them on the ground and lit them up and let them burn untill all that was left was the outline on the ground in melted plastic. I also did the BB gun, firecrackers, and fire at sea.

I floated several Battleships and covered the decks with model glue with a trail of glue accross the water. Lite the trail and watch them burn to the waterline.

Post subject: ack ack
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:34 pm 

Bottle rockets fired from the woods next to an R/C aircraft field have much the same effect on the R/C pilots as real flak; with much less chance of doing any real direct damage. My Dad didn't even get mad, just told us not to do that anymore, with a chuckle.

Bottle rockets shot into the water from the bank also make convincing depth charges and torpedos under small model capital ships.

Gluing your models' wheels to the shelf to keep your little brother from playing with them is not recommended though.

Post subject: Fireworks!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:33 am 

Location: March House. Plantationfoot. Wamphray. Moffat. DG10 9NG
Hi.

During WW2 there were no fireworks, boo. But we youngsters were'nt to be outdone. We made our own! One of our friends had a book that had belonged to a long gone uncle. In it were various chemical recipes and one of them was GUNPOWDER!!! The nearest we could get to the formula was, Flowers of Sulphur from one chemist and we would go into another chemist and spin a line - Mum has had a pig killed and can she have some Saltpetre to put the meat down with, such child like inocence! For Carbon what better than soot from the the back of the chimney.The book was so old the quantities were some weird drachmas, so the proportions were sheer guess work! By the time we got it right, most of us had lost eyebrows and forelocks! We thought a half pound treacle and tin would make a fair 'Bomb' and the fuse was soft string and 'gunpowder mixed with water, string soaked in mixture and what better to dry it in was one of our mum's oven. We have our 'bomb', what to do with it, we thought of throwing it in the dock as a depth charge, but the water would put the fuse out. We ended up digging a small hole in one of our lawns (We tossed for it!) The fuse was duly lit and we retired to safety. The bang was something to talk about and the neighbours did, to the police! From our vantage point,(one of our friends back bedroom) we viewed the scene. Two policemen, two ARP Wardens and what the hell did they want an ambulance man for. We kept quiet, and hoped the chemists round the corner did'nt put two and two together. Happy days!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

excellent war time home front story from down under. the depth charges reminded me of an experiment i tried while my neighbor w/ the swimming pool was away. we sunk a model, & had the notorious m-80, the atomic bomb of firecrackers with waterproof fuses. we tested the theory. the fuses were waterproof, the model didn't blow up under water, & i got busted by another neighbor who ratted me out to my folks, & the pissed off pool owner. i got even later..... i soaped their windows :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

well, it's been almost a year now since this post has surfaced, & honestly i've had so much fun with it, that i thought i'd scrape it out of the barrel for the vast quantity of new wix members to share their juvenile delinquencies as a kid!! it's a testimonial to scott & crew to have so many new site members!! thanks guys. ok all you newbie wixers.... let's hear how you toasted your models!! :spit2 :crispy:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:31 pm 

pop2

-Tom

Last edited by Sasquatch on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next