Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As you can imagine this has been long overdue. I've finally decided I should have dad's F6F Hellcats and FG-1D Corsairs built. I'm thinking 1/48th or 1/32nd scale. I have several photos and BuNo's from his outfits.

Many questions and concerns but foremost is quality. I want the very best in detail. See examples below. Another question would be shipping to me. Obviously don't want a mishap and have a package of broken plastic.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=49644
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46986

It would be four models total. Three Hellcats and one Corsair.
No hurry to build them but again quality is a must.
I'm thinking I'll ask Scott Dennison if he would be willing to build four glass cases.
I've been seeing some exceptional model builders work here on WIX so I'd like to offer a commission to a WIX member.

I've been rattling this thought around for a long time. Shame I didn't think to do this when the good ole fellow was still with us.

I'll post a few photos shortly.

As always posts or PM's are welcome with your thoughts and advice.

Thx in advance

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's a few photos. Very simple schemes, nothing too elaborate (typical Navy schemes for the time) I have several more photos of each of dad's units.

F6F's VF-11 "Sundowners" USS Hornet CV-12

F6F's VF-13 "Black Cats" USS Franklin CV-13

F6F's VF-153 NAS Oceana

FG-1D NAS Grosse Ile MI

FG-1D's from NAS Grosse Ile MI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:26 pm 

A lot of views but no takers.

I'll start by saying I don't claim to be the expert modeler you're looking for, although I'm a lot harder on myself than everybody else is. I have two jobs and a second little one on the way so I'm quite a bit slower in model production than I used to be, but if you're interested in me doing them and aren't worried about them taking a little while I'd be glad to help. This is the sort of project I get the most out of.

This is a 1/48 Hobbyboss Hellcat I did a couple years ago.

This is the last one I finished up, I did this one for the radar/ECM operator that flew on her in Korea.

Shipping them across the country is a little scary but doable. These last three were all shipped, one a couple states away, one to the east coast, and the yellow went down to Gary in TX. I make a supportive cutout in dense foam to hold and support them in the center of the box so none of the pokey fragile parts get broken.

Thank about it, see if anybody else wants to help, etc. I won't be offended if you'd rather have someone else do it.

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Greg, those are Fantastic. Really fabulous work indeed. I've received a few PM's so I guess I have some work to do on my end.
Please feel free to PM me with a proposal if you would. I won't spare the expense to get a top notch job done. Also a contact e-mail as well would be good.

Thanks for posting some really, really nice work. Love it!

BTW I'm thinking each model should be in a glass display box with perhaps either a runway or carrier deck bottom. What do you think?

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:29 pm 

I know of a fella here in Columbus Ohio that did a really great job on an SBD and P-51...to the point that I sent his contact info to my CAF Dixie Wing colleagues as they looked like you could climb into one and fly away in it.

Let me know if interested and I can send you Charlie's email address...

PT-19/26, T-34 CAF Pilot

Favorite quote from Wind, Sand & Stars - A. St. Exupuery "friends are like trees...when they are gone we miss their shade"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you for the offer. Much appreciated.

Mr Greg has been tasked with this much challenging mission. I have faith the right man was chosen for this daunting and dangerous job. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

BTW forgot to mention, the VF-11 Hellcat, along with an SB2C and Avenger models will be encased in glass and donated for display on the USS Hornet's CAG-11 museum in Alameda, CA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:16 am 

Which scale are you going with, Mark?

Mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good morning Jim, great to hear from you. I replied to a real nice fellow who sent me, shall I say, a 'wake up' PM explaining the realities of the model building world. This was my reply.

"Good morning Radek, thank you for the PM. Yes I have a realistic outlook on anyone building me some models. I think by sticking with 1/48th scale the detail will be limited and not as intense as it would be with say a 1/32nd scale. I'm much more interested in the exterior looking authentic more so than the cockpit. You are correct in stating a model build could take years or only weeks. I simply want a nice built model with an accurate paint scheme applied.

As I used to build models as a kid, I usually took about a week to complete what I thought was an acceptable result. I'm looking for the same thing here. I really have no idea how detailed the model kits are these days but I'm sure they are much better and more detailed than when I built models in the 70's.

This project is not only a project for a modeler but a project for a WIX modeler. Kind of a "keep it in the family" thing.

WixerGreg has taken this project on and I have full faith in his skills.

Thank you again for the PM and I shall certainly research your list as well.

Sincerely,

Mark"

In my original post I stated I had an interest in dad's airplanes only, but upon further thought I find it to be much more fulfilling to have models built to represent Air Group 11 from the USS Hornet and donate them to the Hornet museum. This IMO would mean much more to me than models sitting in my office collecting dust.

Being as picky as I am about certain things in life I'll know when I see it what is acceptable or not for a museum display.

Seeing Greg's example of his Hellcat build above, I feel confident he is fully capable of doing an outstanding job. This will be something once completed we both can and will be proud of. Like I've stated a thousand times around here, it's never about me but only about the memory of those who served. Tim, who is the curator of the Air Group 11 museum display on the USS Hornet, is doing an outstanding job, and hopefully these completed models will add to that mission.

The new plan is not to build dad's planes but to build Air Group 11 aircraft instead and have these models encased in nice glass displays.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mark Allen M wrote:
As I used to build models as a kid, I usually took about a week to complete what I thought was an acceptable result. I'm looking for the same thing here.

Best I be clearer with this statement. I don't mean Greg should take a week to complete. He will complete each model when he completes them, no hurry at all as he has a life to live as well. When he's done, it will be done.

Here's the idea for planes and schemes:
VF-11 Hellcat (Solid Navy Blue)

VB-11 Helldiver (Three tone scheme)

VT-11 Avenger (Three tone scheme)

CAG-11 USS Hornet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Project started here for those interested ...

http://usaircraft.proboards.com/thread/ ... ild-thread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd say this was a successful mission, congrats Tim on a job well done. Look forward to seeing you in November with Greg's completed projects.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... =discovery

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:24 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark Allen M wrote:
I'd say this was a successful mission, congrats Tim on a job well done. Look forward to seeing you in November with Greg's completed projects.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... =discovery

Excellent! I hope the finished production is made available online as I would love to watch it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:46 pm 

Mark,
Thanks for posting this. For anyone interested, I have a large archive of CVG-11 aircraft photos. PM me if you want more information.

The director of the documentary plans on offering the movie on digital download and at the giftshop at the USS Hornet Museum. The scheduled premier will be Tues November 11, 2014. Veterans and family of CVG-11 will be invited to the ship for a VIP showing and the grand opening of the Air Group Eleven exhibit. Thanks.

Tim

WANTED: Always looking for information about Carrier Air Group 11 (VS-11/VB-21, VB-11, VF-11 & VT-11) while land based at Guadalcanal in 1943 & while serving aboard the USS Hornet (CV-12) 1944-45. Also looking to contact historians/ collectors with the same interest.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your welcome Tim and thx much for the photos. Greg is working away on the Hellcat. Never thought I'd get this much thrill watching the progress of someone building a plastic model. This is a cool deal and can't wait to see the results.

M