Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:31 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yeah, I know, this is an aircraft modeling forum, and car models ain't welcome. But this project has an aircraft engine! Welcome to my latest nigthmare... a 1/25 scale, 1950s style, Allison-powered "rail job" dragster! This idea has been burning in the back of my mind for years, and I finally got inspired to start on it. The Allison came from an AMT "Parts Pack" (a re-issue of a 1950s offering) and the dragster is from the AMT "Fiat Double Dragster" kit (also a re-issue). The front end and roll cage areas are original, but I'm scratchbuilding the center of the frame where the engine goes using pieces of sprue, and I'll be scratchbuilding some other stuff, too. I'll try to post periodic updates as construction continues.

Knowing what a gearhead he was, and his slightly off-kilter outlook on life, I think "The Inspector" would have loved this one!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:31 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I've got one of these models which is along similar lines, but not scratchbuilt:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:14 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I remember that kit, Brandon. The one in your picture is a re-release. I saw it at a hobby store a few years back and had to fight myself to keep from buying it. I'm certain the same Allison tooling was used in that kit and the Parts Pack.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Frame painted, some other parts installed:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:39 pm 

time for an update!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:15 am 

Knowing how drag cars from that era almost always carried names ("The Blue Max", "Chi-Town Hustler", etc), may I humbly suggest you call this one "The Inspector"? I only know him from what he wrote on this board, but I have a feeling he would have got a real kick out of that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:02 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

PropsRule wrote:
Knowing how drag cars from that era almost always carried names ("The Blue Max", "Chi-Town Hustler", etc), may I humbly suggest you call this one "The Inspector"? I only know him from what he wrote on this board, but I have a feeling he would have got a real kick out of that.

Great minds think alike. I was already planning on it! I'll need to design some decals and have someone make them for me. The motif will be something simple and classic. No need to get all elaborate.

Anyway, sorry I haven't posted an update. To be honest, since I've gotten back to work full time, I haven't had much spare time to work on any modeling projects, so they've all just languished on the shelf. I did do some work on the dragster this evening, so here are a few new shots.

I've finished assembling the front suspension and most of the steering linkage:

I had to fab up a new drag link. I couldn't use the original kit part because I lengthened the chassis several inches. I used #20 AWG wire for the new part:

I have completed fitting of the body shell and it's ready for paint followed by decal'ing and permanent installation. I pla to paint the body shell glossy white on the outside and flat black on the inside. The body shell is in two pieces, shown here held in place by blue tape:

Much of the assembly in the driver's compartment is complete, although I still need to add some more detail items:

I still need to install the rest of the induction system on the engine, and then I can install the engine permanently into the chassis. Here are a couple of overall views of the dragster as it stands:

I plan to install twin drag 'chute packs on the rear end of the body once it has been painted.

Well, that's it for now. I'll try to keep this thread updated, although that means I actually have to work on the model!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Dead thread revival!

I haven't had any time to work on models for the last year or two, but something possessed me to get back to work on my Allison dragster project, "The Inspector". This week I painted and installed the bodywork. I was going to paint the bodywork white, but then I ran across this badazz metalflake lime green that just screamed early 1960s, so I had to use it! I also finished up the steering linkage. The drag link is made from #20 AWG solid wire which I hand-formed to the right length and shape. I have some touch-up painting to do, and then it will be time for some decals. I want to put the name, "The Inspector", across the top of the body between the firewall and cockpit opening, but I don't have the capability of making custom decals. I may have to enlist help from some of you modeling aces out there!

So... any volunteers to help me with the decal situation?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This looks cool!!!!!

Tks for sharing....again!!!!

Reminded me to open the closet and finishing some old started models......4 years ago!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:47 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Looks great! Sure would be loud with the exhaust coming out right in front of you.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

bdk wrote:
Looks great! Sure would be loud with the exhaust coming out right in front of you.

I thought about putting some kind of "turnouts" on the ends of the headers to direct the exhaust up and out, but it looks more badazz the way I did it! :)

Another problem. . . there would be no such thing as traction with the massive torque of that V1710 driving those skinny li'l slicks, but that's what they ran in the late '50s and early '60s. I've seen vintage photos of dragsters smoking the tires all the way through the quarter, and that was with a single car engine!

Gotta keep reminding myself that this is a fantasy build. . .

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:01 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Weren't there some with dually slicks on the back- either Allison or twin engine?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:28 am 

Cool project!

The Inspector could be a tough read sometimes but I definitely miss his posts.

You can fly an Allison further than you can ship a Merlin.

Do you want a Testors decal making kit?