Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 am 

I remember building a Tamiya 1/48-scale Mustang when I was 11 or 12.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I started building plastic models as a kid in the '70s, but I was pretty random; funny cars, space ships, ect. I remember doing an aircraft carrier - don't know which - and I had to cut off the wings of ~40 airplanes and glue them back on folded (Grumman style) and the whole thing became a glue ball mess mixed in with the paint from the flight deck and it got all over my work table and my clothes :| . That one succumbed to the BB gun in the backyard.

In 1977 was the first year I went to the Reno Air Races and I saw the Confederate's doing their Tora act and I was smitten. :D
I had been to airshows and air races before, but this was the first time seeing 'warbirds in action'. And I set about building as many 1/72 scale models I could right out of the CAF Airshow program. I still have most of them in my old room at my parents and I will get them out soon.

In early 2014 I broke my leg and was laid up for several weeks. I bought a Hasagawa P-51 and started searching for ideas (along the way I found a couple warbird boards like this one ;) ) I decided on doing Ted Contri's old red Mustang, as I had known him back in '79 and he had just passed :(
I found Keith Davidson on the web (Red Pegasus Decals) and bought a bunch of his work and commissioned a bunch more from him, and he was cool enough to print me the registration for Ted's plane, too.
And that set off a new obsession and I have acquired a hundreds of civilian warbird and air race decals sheets and kits for them. geek

Attachment:
Ted Contri P-51a.jpg
Ted Contri P-51a.jpg [ 143.99 KiB | Viewed 1269 times ]

ed; picture re-host

Last edited by Lon Moer on Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:23 am 

Fantastic!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:17 pm 

I've loved red Mustangs since I saw one on the cover of Flying magazine in 1964. Started a model of it myself a couple years ago--I need to finish that up someday. Post pics of yours as soon as it's finished!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Snake45 wrote:
I've loved red Mustangs since I saw one on the cover of Flying magazine in 1964. Started a model of it myself a couple years ago--I need to finish that up someday. Post pics of yours as soon as it's finished!

That is the same Mustang(44-84753), from its earlier owner Les Grant.
Ted Contri restored two other Mustangs in NEV ANG colors; "Sizzlin' Liz" and "Rosalie", but he never changed the red Mustang. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:07 pm 

hansonbc2 wrote:
I think the intent of the site is very cool, and since I've been building plastic car and airplane models since 1963, I'd probably fit right in. I'll probably give it another look.

You're in the right place! :drink3:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:36 pm 

As a kid, had every WW2 plane and ship model then on the market (1970's), American and German. More than 200 in alll. When I was in the military, mom decided to selll the house. All my models went into the garbage truck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

My brother, even as a teen, was an award-winning armor builder.
I only ever built a F-101 once for a contest, at about the age of 12 or so and won 1st place for youth.
Haven't built much airplane stuff since then but I've focused that over to another form of transportation:
http://www.freewebs.com/willysmb44/modeltrains.htm

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:08 pm 

Yeah, I used to do models as a kid as well; the problem is that I'm nearing my 30s and visibly still am a kid :lol: my models don't look good enough for me to dare and show them, but I've recently finished an Il-28 "Beagle" by Trumpeter and a Polikarpov I-5 by ICM, both in 1/72 scale, and they've joined the ranks of my constantly increasing plastic air force!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:12 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

I used too, want to get back into it but time is the thing I lack the most :(

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:24 pm 

When I was too little to build kits really, I built a 1/72 snap tight f-18, and painted it white, with black red and silver stripes. I remember that as my first kit.

For Christmas when I was 12, I got my first 1/48's, a Battle of Britain set from Monogram, with a BF-109 and a Hawker Hurricane. I built everything I could get my hands on for the next ten tears or so. I stopped building planes for about ten or twelve years, and then started again in 2005 with a Tamiya P-51 in 1/48. I've been building them again since then, it's a good relaxing hobby. Eyes are bad now though, details are hard to do. Still a relaxing past time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:06 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Built a 1/72 Matchbox P-12E last year and loved it: challenging to get right but a lovely thing to make. I too agree with the initial post regarding some of the modern stuff: I've thrown two unfinished Tamiya kits in the bin recently (Mosquito and LaFerrari) because they were just really boring to put together: a bit 'paint-by-numbers' if you like. I think that type of kit is probably OK if you want quick results, but I realise for me it's now more about the journey than the destination.