Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

What aerosol primer do you use on plastic models? Any recommendations for or against any particular product?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:26 pm 

I don't normally use primer on model airplanes, as I airbrush Model Master enamels which cover very well. One exception is yellow prop tips on dark colored plastic. I usually airbrush Floquil Reefer White and then the yellow, then mask the tips off and paint the rest of the prop black.

I do use primer on model cars. I often prime in a Model Master military flat color that's close to final gloss shade I'll be laying down (flat red for a red car, etc.).

Oh wait, you asked about aerosols. I've found a really great one that I often use even when I'm going to airbrush the final finish. It's Walmart Color Place gray primer, just lovely stuff. It's light and goes on thin and dries very smooth and doesn't hurt plastic. It's cheap, too, only a couple bucks for a large can that will prime a dozen models or more. Wonderful stuff! One of the few genuine bargains left in today's world.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:06 am 

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/paints-finishes-60/tamiya-maintenance-material-62000/surface-primer-l-gray-87042

Best primer on the market! Excellent coverage, goes on thin and sands well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Snake45,

I bought some of that "El Cheapo" gray primer from Wal-Mart, and tried it on a couple of car model bodies (AMT '32 Ford Vicky and AMT Meyers Manx). You were right... that stuff works really well! It goes on light and even, and it dries incredibly quickly. For $1.52 a can, you can't beat it! Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:30 pm 

The other cool thing about the Walmart primer is it will stand up to MOST of the "real" auto touchup paint sprays I've tried on it. Come to think of it, it's stood up to them all, but I haven't tried everything, so hate to say it will stand up to anything.

Plastikote primer is good, too, if you can find it. It works much better for me than Duplicolor or Rustoleum. It's a little thicker and a little darker than the Walmart Color Place stuff, but it sands VERY easily and smoothly with somethink like #800.

Forgot to mention one other attribute of the Walmart primer. It's very close to USN Light Gull Gray 36440. It doesn't have the slight yellow/tannish tint of Light Gull Gray, but otherwise, very very close. I'm thinking of using it for some USN '60s models.