Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Behold My NAKED FURY!!!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:57 am 

Some years ago I saw a photo of a newly restored Sea Fury being rolled from the hanger without any paint or markings. I forget whether it was NMF or overall silver paint (which would probably be polyurethane these days) but I was struck by the inherent beauty of the Sea Fury airframe and thought I'd build a model just like that.

Hobbycraft 1/48 kit built 100% out of the box. Paint is Tamiya rattlecan Gloss Aluminum. Exhaust panel and spinner airbrushed Testor Chrome Silver just to get a little contrast, though it doesn't show up all that well.

I was right. The Naked Fury is a thing of beauty, is it not?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:31 am 

Nice! I miss that kit. I always think of doing something similar with a corsair.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:29 pm 

mazdaP5 wrote:
I always think of doing something similar with a corsair.

Been there, done that. :wink:

And just since I have the photobucket up, here's the other Sea Fury I built a couple years ago:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:05 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Always did think the Fury was a pretty aircraft. Good job!

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:00 pm 

Excellent finish on the blue one! Enamel? I can't seem to make acrylics lay down like that even using Tamiya retarder.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:26 pm 

WIXerGreg wrote:
Excellent finish on the blue one! Enamel? I can't seem to make acrylics lay down like that even using Tamiya retarder.

Yes, enamel. It was a custom mix but I honestly don't remember the colors I used--might have been a mix of three. One was apparently gloss black, as Testor Glossy Sea Blue wasn't what I was looking for here at all. I remember I needed to go for a blue a bit darker than the roundels, according to photos. I didn't rub this paint out or polish it; that's just as it came out of the airbrush. I do recall I thinned the mix with naphtha (lighter fluid), the downside to that is that it turns the paint to Jello within a week, so it can't be saved.

I built and painted both of these five or six or eight years ago, but only finished the blue one up about two years ago and the silver one just this week. I have a bad habit of doing all the "hard work" of building a model and then losing interest in it just when completion is in sight. Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Super work seƱor Snake. Thought I saw a couple photos close to looking like your artwork. Nicely done and once again I'm always amazed at the talent you modelers have. Good job.

M