Switch to full style
I know alot of you build models, here's a place for you to discuss model related items and to post pictures of your projects.
Post a reply

Carrier borne SNJ's

Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi Im looking for any pics or info on paint schemes of SNJ's that were aboard carriers such as the USS Wolverine or Sable in the early 40's.. Ive seen a few pics here and there and a few model pics on the site here but was wondering if someone could post those in this thread as I cant seem to find them anymore..also any info on paint schemes would be very much appreciated. Thank you. Its for a model display for a fellow modeler who recently passed on.. Thanks again..

Re: Carrier borne SNJ's

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:42 pm

I hope I'm not to late..just saw this post. A few years ago I was part of a project to build a 1/72 model of the Wolverine for the Kalamazoo Air Zoo. Well, master scratchbuilder Bill Waldorf built the ship, but our model club supplied the aircraft and figures. I built two SNJs..markings info wasn't easy to come by. Most photos show pretty "plain Jane" aircraft. Usually just the standard insignias, and a code on the side consisting of a letter J followed by dash and two-digit number. I found an old documentary with some color footage, and some appeared to have sections of the wing painted yellow. I used the summer 1943 red-bordered insignia, just because it made for a more colorful model. The only photos I found showed the old star-in-circle insignias or the late-war all blue star-and-bar. I thought I had some reference photos buried on my computer somewhere, but they may have fallen victim to the Great Hard Drive Crash of 2007.

Anyway, these are the models I came up with. The kits are from Academy..mostly stock, but with scratchbuilt tailhooks (and tailwheel guards) and I added scratchbuilt flaps to one.

Cheers!

Steve

Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:29 am

interesting, thanks!

Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:29 pm

Bump!

Does anyone have photos of SNJs flown off the Wolverine or Sable?

I'm thinking of painting my SNJ in these markings (if I ever finish it...).
Post a reply