Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Carrier borne SNJ's
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:50 pm 

Hi Im looking for any pics or info on paint schemes of SNJ's that were aboard carriers such as the USS Wolverine or Sable in the early 40's.. Ive seen a few pics here and there and a few model pics on the site here but was wondering if someone could post those in this thread as I cant seem to find them anymore..also any info on paint schemes would be very much appreciated. Thank you. Its for a model display for a fellow modeler who recently passed on.. Thanks again..

Post subject: Re: Carrier borne SNJ's
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:42 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I hope I'm not to late..just saw this post. A few years ago I was part of a project to build a 1/72 model of the Wolverine for the Kalamazoo Air Zoo. Well, master scratchbuilder Bill Waldorf built the ship, but our model club supplied the aircraft and figures. I built two SNJs..markings info wasn't easy to come by. Most photos show pretty "plain Jane" aircraft. Usually just the standard insignias, and a code on the side consisting of a letter J followed by dash and two-digit number. I found an old documentary with some color footage, and some appeared to have sections of the wing painted yellow. I used the summer 1943 red-bordered insignia, just because it made for a more colorful model. The only photos I found showed the old star-in-circle insignias or the late-war all blue star-and-bar. I thought I had some reference photos buried on my computer somewhere, but they may have fallen victim to the Great Hard Drive Crash of 2007.

Anyway, these are the models I came up with. The kits are from Academy..mostly stock, but with scratchbuilt tailhooks (and tailwheel guards) and I added scratchbuilt flaps to one.

Cheers!

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:29 am 

interesting, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:29 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Bump!

Does anyone have photos of SNJs flown off the Wolverine or Sable?

I'm thinking of painting my SNJ in these markings (if I ever finish it...).