Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:05 pm 

Had a few Aurora and Monogram kits

Grand prize for me was the french R-100

My dad went out in a snowstorm to a downtown Columbus hobby shop in the basement of a hardware store (Halls).

PT-19/26, T-34 CAF Pilot

Favorite quote from Wind, Sand & Stars - A. St. Exupuery "friends are like trees...when they are gone we miss their shade"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:03 pm 

When I was 12 or 13, I got a Monogram Battle of Britain set, Bf-109 and Hawker Hurricane. They were my first proper glue together models. It's been 30+ years, I haven't stopped yet. Last year, my nieces got me that same Hurricane kit. I built it this past winter, what a blast.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:23 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

One that I would like to have back was the Revell 1/200 Boeing SST Pan Am Supersonic Clipper. It had two complete kits of the projected Boeing SST, one cleaned up for cruise, the other set up for landing. Mine would have been the early 1970s issue. I understand that the kit was reissued in 2006 but even the reissue is now rare and expensive.

August

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:20 pm 

I can't recall ever getting a model airplane for Christmas or a birthday. There were a LOT of model airplanes in my young life; they were an everyday thing so I guess no one considered them "special" enough to get me for a special occasion. I DID get quite a few aviation-related toys, though--Steve Canyon jet helmet, B-52 ball turret gun, Missile Command launch site, a big battery-powered H-21 helicopter with working winch, and a large toy (1/24 scale or bigger) of a jet that resembled a Grumman F11F Tiger. IIRC that one made a jet engine scream, and would eject the pilot to float down under a parachute.

In later years I got a few model cars for Christmas. I believe these included the '67 Dodge Charger, '68 AMT Mercury Cougar, and possibly the Chevy Mako Shark.

As an adult, I once had a girlfriend who drove 20 miles to my favorite hobby shop to ask the staff (who knew me quite well) what I'd like that was within her budget. She got me the Heller 1/72 P-39 and the ESCI 1/48 IAI Kfir C2. THAT gift impressed me, because of the effort she went to. :supz:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:55 am 

Yes all of these kits are now $$$$$...and yes I have spent (invested???) discretionary funds on re-acquiring those kits from long ago.

I managed to get a number of Revell, Monogram and Airfix kits from long ago...as well as my favorite Hawk brand (including thanks to the oldmodelkits.com folks for locating the Hawk dual V-1/Baka kits that I bought on a Christmas eve several years back).

BTW Im pretty sure I had the same shrieking F-11 Tiger toy...my recollection is that it was pretty big, off-white color and gave a sound that had my parents asking to give it a rest after a few mins...

PT-19/26, T-34 CAF Pilot

Favorite quote from Wind, Sand & Stars - A. St. Exupuery "friends are like trees...when they are gone we miss their shade"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:28 pm 

Rauhbatz wrote:
BTW Im pretty sure I had the same shrieking F-11 Tiger toy...my recollection is that it was pretty big, off-white color and gave a sound that had my parents asking to give it a rest after a few mins...

Sounds like the one. I remember mine as white but it might have been off-white. It was prolly 2 feet long, maybe more. Made by either Remco or Ideal, I don't remember which.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:14 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Snake45 wrote:
Missile Command launch site,

Can you describe this toy?

I had a playset in 1970(ish) that was a handful of spring launched plastic rockets <you'll shoot your eye out!> that were fairly realistic. They "lived" in a pressed steel suitcase like box with hinged sides that unfolded to become the launch site. The steel suitcase had rocket (or launch site) related artwork inside and outside. I figure it folded out to become a 36""x24" launch site (or thereabouts). In recent years, I've searched the internet, but can't figure out what it was.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:28 pm 

Kyleb wrote:
Snake45 wrote:
Missile Command launch site,

Can you describe this toy?

Mine was this:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1482377869

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

After more surfing, I think mine was this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950s- ... c100010.m2

It isn't exactly as I remembered, but the shorescape hinged walls and rockets are familiar.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:41 am 

Christmas 1964 when I got 8-10 of those classic Revell 1/72nd fighter planes. P-40, Corsair, Me 262, Zero, P-47, Ki 61, Fw 190 etc. 50 cents a piece and worth every dime.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:49 am 

Would agree about those 1/72 Revell kits. Lots of detail and they make for a great kit. And the box artwork was impressive. I have the white Fokker D7 and the Albatross (Red Baron flying under a Zeppelin)

My History Of Revell book bemoans the historical accuracy of some of the kits including the Albatross...but there were fine products.

PT-19/26, T-34 CAF Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:42 am 

junkman9096 wrote:
Revell 1/72nd fighter planes. P-40, Corsair, Me 262, Zero, P-47, Ki 61, Fw 190 etc. 50 cents a piece and worth every dime.

I had all those, and quite a few of the Airfix kits too. Great stuff in 1964!

In 1966, I moved on to model cars for a few years. When I came back to airplanes, I was all about the Monogram and Hawk 1/48 scale. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The 1/24 Monogram Phantom Huey.

Several years previously, I got my favorite toy...my much anticipated Ideal Globemaster, a plastic/metal C-82 type transport.
It came with Army Jeep, howitzer, starlight and other vehickes.

If course even at that age I knew the C-82 wasn't the "Globemaster".
If I had any questions dad could have answered them, he flew both types.

Snake45...and a couple of years before that, I too got a Steve Canyon helmet.

Never did get the huge Remco H-21 "Whirlybird".
But I did get a equally large tin motorized SH-3...a side door opened and a Mercury capsule swing out.

That, along with a Phantom Huey could probably but a real helicopter today.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:55 am 

JohnB wrote:
Snake45...and a couple of years before that, I too got a Steve Canyon helmet.

Fairly early on, I managed somehow to break the big green visor. I tried to fix it with every kind of glue to no avail. Tape didn't really work, either. The visor was under a bit of "spring tension" so there's really no way to reattach it.

About 20 years ago I bought one on eBay. Nice ones, especially with the original box, can bring $100 or more, but the one I bought has some "played with" scratches so it only cost me about $20-$30. It sits in a place of honor in my man-cave. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Not my "best", but I remember one year as a kid I got a Monogram 1/48 Huey Gunship and a pack of Testors paints.....bright fluorescent pastels :lol: :lol: