Switch to full style
I know alot of you build models, here's a place for you to discuss model related items and to post pictures of your projects.
Post a reply

1/72nd A-10 "Tank Killer"

Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:22 pm

I built this simple Revell SnapTite A-10 recently. Found it at a Goodwill of all places! Stickers came with the kit, so I ordered a set of loose decals from another kit and despite being slightly yellowed, I used them anyway. I believe these markings actually call for a EU Dark Green Camo scheme but... eh, screw it. I wanted to do a grey A-10. Which by the way is JUST the grey rattle can primer paint I had lying around. I gave it the usual weathering without going over the top.

I decided I wanted to kick it up a notch and added a base with terrain made out of baking soda. I did not use enough glue or ANY modpoge and the result is a very fragile structure. I will not be doing the same thing again. I found 1:700 scale tanks on Shapeways and promptly ordered them. After a little paint and weather they have been installed. The only thing I added from when these shots were taken is some smoke on a few of the tanks. Otherwise it's done. Enjoy!

Re: 1/72nd A-10 "Tank Killer"

Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:10 pm

That turned out very nice! I think I may have one of those saved for my son...

Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:33 pm

Nice job!
:drink3:

Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:11 am

Looks great! Being a neophyte, how did you use baking soda on the base? I assume you painted it?
Great work!

Tom P.

Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:51 pm

I put some baking soda into a simple dixie cup and poured some Elmer's glue in. Then applied the mixture onto the base that was already stained and masked. I took some time to shape the layout. I didn't have any laid out plan and let the material sort of guide my decisions a bit.

I then spray painted the base tan and added sand over that when it was still went. I went in and painted the rocks with a grey paint and brush. Not the best technique as it mucks up your brush. I then applied a clear flat coat and added different colored / sized sand to break up the terrain. I then applied a final clear coat added the clear acrylic rod, and tanks. If you even look at the terrain in the wrong way it can fall apart as most of the internal structure is just baking soda. Way too brittle for my taste. If I try this procedure again, I'm going to add liberal amounts of Modpoge as well, and an acrylic paint color of whatever the majority of the base color will be. So in this case it would probably be tan. The result will hopefully be a more robust / strong terrain. Hope that helps.
Post a reply