Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:30 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Anyone know whats going on with the Spirit Of St. Louis replica? Ty Sundstrom and the Dawn Patrol team were constructing an exact replica and there was some legal dispute which saw the project come to a screeching halt. Some parts of the plane went to another guy. The CharlesLindbergh.com website has changed hands (I think the guy who has the plane has got the website now). Just curious if anyone has more details...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:50 pm 

I know pretty much everything that is going on, having been a team member for about 8 years now. Yes the project came to a halt over legal issues. Yes the parts were divided by court ordered settlement ( actually everybody mostly kept what they managed to keep or have siezed) Yes the website, which by our direct participation was the main reason for its dramatic increased traffic generation (up to 30,000 hits per day), was purchased by the "otherside" . Since all of our materials and photos have been pulled , it now gets less. Team members other than Ty Sundstrom, have been arbitrarily excluded from further particiation, in an otherwise open discussion forum. I can only deduce it must be a legal issue, but I suspect it is a question of a moral nature.

The "otherside" has announced they intend to fly the Atlantic, using their parts to complete an aircraft. We have wished them well and all success. However, we also believe they need an enginneer to explain hard aerodynamic realities required for what they have planned with the parts as we built them. It should be noted that none of us, and in particular Mr. Sunstrom, want or will have anything, ABSALUTELY NOTHING, NO CREDIT< ETC. WHATSOEVER in association with such a project., as publically outlined by that group.

For the record, back in December, Historic Flight Project/Ty Sundstrom announced that we have resumed working on a "definative" Spirit of St. Louis reproduction, utilizing hard earned information, "old parts" and new, more accurate ones now being constructed. New ribs are being constructed and tubing and spar material are on order. All original period instruments are on hand, as are all fabric and dope/thinner etc. A trade for a running(!!!) Wright J-5 is now underway. We also have NOS Hamiltion propellor(!!!) and 30 x 5 wheels and tires(original used 32x4). . New announcements regarding current progress and a dedicated website will be made shortly. Life sometimes allows the occasional "do over." We are attempting to make the most of it.

Please be aware that specific legal points of the settlement cannot be discussed. However it should be noted that the case brought against Mr. Sunstrom was dismissed "with prejudice", which as I understand it, means they cannot ever bring this particular matter to court again, and such dismissal IS MATTER OF PUBLIC RECORD.

It is also a matter of Public Record that one Robert Ragazino, web master of Charles Lindberg.com has posted on the website a call for a no questions asked purchase policy in regard to anyone with information leading to and aquisition of Sprit of St Louis reproduction parts not seized at time of legal action, yet legaly owned by and still in the pocession of Historic Flight Project or its individual team members. We can only assume that this is a blatant attempt to have these items stolen and paid for at the urging of Mr. Ragazino. It is my understanding that all such post have since been deleted from the forum, however, copies of the offending items will be made available. If desired one can be made available on this forum.

Ty Sunstrom can be contacted dawnpatrolaviation.com or you can contact me at visaliaaviation@sbcglobal.net if you have any specific questions.

Enough said?

Charles Neely
Draftsman: Historic Flight Project

Post subject: Good Luck Moving Forward
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:30 pm 

Thanks for the info Charles. I'm really sorry to hear that the original project was halted. I really admired the work you guys were doing on that replica. I enjoyed Ty's visit to St. Louis a few years ago and found him to be a true expert on the NYP. I'm still mad at him for selling the Hisso powered M-1 to a non-flying musuem but one of these days, I guess I'll get over it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I look forward to the "re-birth" of the Historic Flight Project Spirit. I hope there will be a web-site so that we can track the progress. :wink: It's a shame that the Charles Lindbergh web site has had (in my opinion) a hostile take-over. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:14 pm 

Was wondering about your signature "Never fly an A model anything"??? It got me to thinking.

I fly an Aeronca KCA (just delivered to a new home in Woodlake, California). It's # 19 of 59 built in 1938. During this production run, Aeronca introduced carb heat, stearable tail wheel and dual ignition. Mine does without any of those modern conviences.

Would love to fly an SE5-a, and a P-51A, which were the second and fourth versions (respectively) of their types.

In aircraft, the A doesn't usually designate the first version.

Speaking of carb heat, Lindbergh flew the Atlantic with the carb heat ON for the entire trip!

Not taking myself too seriously, here

Charlie Neely