Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 868 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 58  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Don and Dave, I thought of this today loafing on the sofa with the dog and decided to run it past you guys. Which version of the F24 is faster? Which has longer range? Any diff in max payload? Any differences in handling?

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:06 am 

The postwar one are basically the same. The cruise speed listed is 1 knot different. I think the Ranger burns more gas then they advertised, at least mine does. Baggage is unchanged since it's the weight limit the canvas sack (baggage compartment) can hold.

I have a friend with a late-Warner one and we can fly side by side all day long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:37 pm 

If I had to choose one I think I would have to go with the Ranger-powered one only because you can still get most Ranger parts. How much different are those that have been converted to Jacobs power? I am sure they cannot be much faster...only quicker on the takeoff and climb better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Interesting question. CF-EKC, a F-24W46, has the 185 Warner (an upgrade) and has an empty weight of 1765 lbs. It also has a separate oil cooler. I imagine the earlier F-24Ws are a bit lighter.

I don't actualy know the IAS. The previous owner told me the aircraft may have the wrong pitot head. He said it was accurate at the approach speed range, but not at cruise. My GPS seems to show about 110 mph (statute) most of the time. It burns about 9 US gph.

As for takeoff and climb, it's no Pitt's special. It kind of climbs like a DHC-3 Otter, levitating in a level attitude. Mind you, I suspect the best rate of climb is about 70, but I climb at 80 for better cooling.

I'd love to formate with a Ranger-powered aircraft. My general impression is that the Ranger has more power and less frontal area, but is heavier, thus the speed is about the same.

As for parts, yes that isn't easy. I wish someone made a new 180 hp slow-turning 7-cyl radial. That new one in Australia (Rotec) isn't quite right, at 9 cylinders, only 150 hp, and besides, it runs fast and is geared down (as I understand it), which doesn't suit me.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Oh, I should answer the questions. For CF-EKC...

Payload -- 797 lbs
Fuel -- 60 US Gal (that's a lot more range than I've got)
Cruise -- about 110 mph (I don't know the prop pitch, but it's a wooden Sensenich.)

Handling -- I doubt there's much different. Ordinarily a radial restricts your vision on the ground a lot, but the Warner isn't bad. You can see alongside it. And in cruise, if you are high in your seat you can see over it through the center pane.

Dave

Post subject: Ranger Numbers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:09 am 

for N690FA...

Max cruise +/- 110 depending upon load and time of year. It may go up a little after I replace a cracked cylinder :(

Useful load 777 pounds

Fuel 40 gallons, I have the small tanks

The ranger has a blind spot on the ground just to the right of 12 o'clock. That goes away in cruise.

Handling is great, pushrods instead of cables. The airplane will handle any crosswind you are man enough to try, it has a huge tail. Very stable both on the ground and in the air, never a nasty swerve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:15 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Bump, to refer to the discussion about mags, for Dennis, who owns this extremely cool Starduster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:53 pm 

What is the story on the Starduster? When I was a kid I read over and over again an article about a Warner powered Starduster Too in an early 70s aviation mag (it was some special edition magazine on "homebuilts").

I thought it was the most beautiful airplane ever built, and I tried to talk my Dad into building one (along with a Dyke Delta...). If I recall, the subject plane had wing root fairings cut down from ones on a B-17!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:16 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Much prettier than these late model sport jobs with flat motors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I've been puttering away in the hangar, doing odd jobs. I had to take the doors off and completely apart. They're wood framed. The screws had stripped in the holes, the window mechanisms were coming apart -- that sort of thing. All back together now and functioning like a Packard!

Then my friend Andy S. came over. He'd built a door to go in the cowl. There was no quick access to the fuel strainer/bowl. So he showed me how to use solid rivets, and we installed it.

Pleasant way to spend a winter's day.

Here's the scary part, cutting the hole (gulp!).

Then, after hand-filing to fit, I rivet the hinge on.

Next, clecos in and drilling and de-burring.

And it's in! It works! Ready for paint-prep!

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I see a can of Sikkens paint back there. We painted a car with that stuff once. They call it that because the price of it sikkens you! Looks like you do some woodworking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:40 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sikkens? Oh yeah, big time. I've practically bathed in the stuff. And like you say, it's pricey, but very good -- the best, actually.

I've got a wooden sailboat pretty much exactl;y the same age as the Fairchild. Acres of woodwork. http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12485

In fact as I rebuilt the wooden cabin doors in the airplane, I was using the materials and techniques acquired during boat restoration. Sitka spruce and cedar in both. I'm new to metal, which is why I'm proud of that cowl door, but wood.... I've been making shavings a long time.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:52 pm 

Speaking of wooden boats Dave....had a guy call me last week rebuilding a 1929 Chris Craft and wanted to know if I could find him a Star Pathfinder Compass for his....gulp...BOAT!!!! I told him to NEVER ask an airplane guy that...rule #1

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dave, Wow! That is one awesome looking boat. What a beauty. You sure know how to keep busy.

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:09 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Andy, you should have referred the man to someone into old flying boats.
Dave, pretty boat. I know nothing about wooden boats or sailing but its still pretty. Years ago I shared a house with a friend who subscribed to Wooden Boat. He wasn't a woodworker but loved vintage boats and just admired the craftsmanship.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 868 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 58  Next