Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 868 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:16 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hi Dave,

sounds like a great event! Was it simply a fly-in, or were there also some aerial displays? Either way it looks like it was a very fun event to attend. I also hope there's someone else here on WIX that can share some pictures from the event.

Fly safe,

David M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:20 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Nope, no airshow -- just a huge get-together. Long, long rows of beautiful old machines.

It's vastly simpler and cheaper this way. No airspace closure; no eviscerating insurance bill. All very down-home and pleasant. A whole lot of like-minded people just getting together and relaxing as they admire who's-done-what.

I believe it's the biggest fly-in in Canada. I might be wrong but I can't think of another event in this country which gets 260 airplanes attending.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:54 pm 

It was a very enjoyable event. First time I had seen the Fox Moth in person. Both it and the P-40 are impeccalbly restored. I appreciated the great talk Dave H. gave on both aircraft. These type of talks really help to inform the general airshow goer what the aircraft are really all about. Thanks to you and Vintage Wings for getting the aircraft to Edenvale.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yeah, I think that fly-in only events are awesome.

It may not be the most amazing "crowd pleaser" but I think it does great things for the pilots, airplane owners, and hardcore airplane nuts who, like me, can easily spend a full day oggling airplanes and chatting with like minded individuals.

And you're totally right about it being a lot cheaper, and easier to organize.

I'd like to have a big fly-in in the Vancouver area someday. Just a "Bring your plane and join us for a BBQ" kind of event.

Anyways, I'll have to try and make it out there someday.

Peace,

David

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:12 pm 

Nice Dave
I did a partial restoration on a 24W years ago consisting of fabric rejuvenation and paint. New sheetmetal. I had the pleasure of flying it more than once, they r great !!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:25 pm 

Dave Hadfield wrote:
Lots of classic and antique cars showed up as well. Anybody identify this one?

Dave

Rolls Royce Phantom I Sedanca de Ville (?)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:43 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Very very close!

A 1924 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost. (I don't have the body/make details to hand.)

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hey Dave, sounds like I missed one of the best years. Eight B-17s, a F-100 and the Horsemen lured me away.

I hear you and Dave Hewitt will be flying the P-40 and Russell’s Hurricane together this weekend. Sad to say I will be missing that one as well. Have to work the help desk
:(

Eric

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:35 pm 

Dave Hadfield wrote:
Very very close!

A 1924 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost. (I don't have the body/make details to hand.)

Dave

Ah yes, I thought it might be a Silver Ghost, but felt the bodywork looked just a bit too "modern" for a Silver Ghost. However, a 1924 model nearer to the end of Silver Ghost production definitely fits the bill.

One of the items on my "list" is to drive an original Silver Ghost from London to Beijing. Right after I fly my old Tiger Moth from London to Sydney... :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:44 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Not too much Fairchilding lately -- but I have a good excuse I think: lots of flying for Vintage Wings.

I kept the P-40 at Edenvale for a week, which was nice. Got to do some practice aerobatics, and figure out how much G she can stand at the various low-end speeds. (My own warbird for a week.)

Then off to the CHAA Airshow at Tillsonburg. Had a great formation practice with Dave Hewitt in the Hurricane. (Now there's a guy who can re-join!) Shane's photo.

Then 2 solo displays at the show.

Last edited by Dave Hadfield on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:51 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Then back to VWoC to train Blake Reid on the Fleet 16R (Finch),

And then a bunch of Tiger Moth circuits to get him released in the Fox Moth.

Last edited by Dave Hadfield on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:03 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Then off to Val d'Or, Quebec, for the "Spectacle Aerien", which was lots of fun. Very weird box to fly in, and odd crowd placement, but lovely friendly people.

Last edited by Dave Hadfield on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:10 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Then back to Ottawa/Gatineau again to share flights with a lovely Aussie couple, who'd come all the way from Tasmania for a flight in a Kittyhawk. Great time!

But, gotta get the F-24W flying again -- probably tomorrow, when this heat wave eases a bit.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Hadfield on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:00 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Dave,

thanks for sharing those pictures of your last few weeks of bliss. I'm sure I'm not the not the only one jealous!

Great stuff.

Fly safe,

David M

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:14 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Jeez, today the local TV station comes out to interview me about my brother Chris' mission announcement, (finally, FINALLY, I get to tell people about it!), and they want to do it in front of the Fairchild. That's OK, it needs an outing anyway, so I get it rolled outside, polished up, fueled and oiled and ready to go. They arrive, set up the camera, I give my little spiel, and then they want some "B" footage to go with it. So, fine, I do a walkaround, climb inside, hit the starter -- and the engine gives a feeble half-turn, and then limps to a stop while the starter solenoid buzzes rudely at the TV audience.

I get out, trying not to curse loudly or too visibly, Robin shifts over to the left seat to hold the brakes, and then I swing the prop a few times until finally, reluctantly, it coughs into life.

Not one of television's finer moments.

I'm going to have to break down and replace that battery. But in the meantime we did have a very nice flight up to Edenvale, where the ECAF types were training new pilots. Here's the taildragger "transition" machine, a Fleet 80 Canuck.

And the DH 82A Moth was enjoying itself too, training a lucky new guy.

I tell you, every time I fire up that Warner after a few weeks away, I'm pleasantly surprised all over again how smooth it is...

Dave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 868 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 58  Next