Switch to full style
A Forum for those interest in vintage NON-military aircraft
Post a reply

Re: Bought a Fairchild 24

Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:54 am

Mike K of the ECAF, in the Cornell.

Wings and Wheels at Wiarton, 2019. Lovely day for it.

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:11 am

Then I was assigned to fly the Spitfire at the St. Hubert Airshow (which is just south of Montreal). I took the airline to YOW, where -- lovely surprise! -- Mike P showed up to ferry me over to Gatineau in his newly-restored Beaver.

What a wonderful machine! It very much deserved its "Lindy" and "Silver Wrench" awards last year.

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:50 am

Thanks for the update Dave. Always great to see the 24

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:53 am

It's jumping ahead a bit, but I've been wearing a helmet-cam a lot during the past year's flying, and putting together some videos.

It takes a huge amount of time, but it's a good winter project.

Here's the latest -- my flight in October in a DH-87B Hornet Moth: a 3-hour ferry flight from Smith's Falls to Grand Valley North where it will receive some winter TLC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Q1I375_P8

The camera is a Sony AS50. It's much better in a cockpit than a GoPro -- it fits, because it's much narrower. The field of view is slightly wide-angle. And they make a strap-mount for the helmet that works very well.

Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:53 pm

Dave Hadfield wrote:It's jumping ahead a bit, but I've been wearing a helmet-cam a lot during the past year's flying, and putting together some videos.

It takes a huge amount of time, but it's a good winter project.

Here's the latest -- my flight in October in a DH-87B Hornet Moth: a 3-hour ferry flight from Smith's Falls to Grand Valley North where it will receive some winter TLC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Q1I375_P8

The camera is a Sony AS50. It's much better in a cockpit than a GoPro -- it fits, because it's much narrower. The field of view is slightly wide-angle. And they make a strap-mount for the helmet that works very well.

Has the Moth been sold to a new owner? last I knew it was owned by the Loretto's

Sean

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:30 pm

Yes, Larry died, and Blake bought it 2 years ago.

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:36 pm

Dave Hadfield wrote:Yes, Larry died, and Blake bought it 2 years ago.

Oh. Didn’t know he had passed. It is a beautiful aircraft!! Never had the chance to see it person yet. Needs to make an appearance at YND for a few shows!

Sean

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:26 pm

I flew an hour and a half in a Hornet Moth.
I did five landings and found that it all but demanded to be three pointed.
Definitely preferred the grass to the pavement too.
It was quite a nice aeroplane to fly, certainly.

Thanks for the video Dave.
Hope you can drop by CGV6 before taking her east again.

Andy

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:34 am

Another excellent video Dave! Really appreciate your voice-over and commentary on the flight. Looks like a lot of "fun" trying to work around those wind mills.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:26 pm

Thanks!

This winter I've left my schedule a bit clearer, so I hope to edit some other ones...

Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:26 am

The St. Hubert airshow in June was a lot of fun. They treated us very well.

It was great fun to beat-up the airfield in a display...

Jon Edwards

...then rejoin with the Vampire for some passes.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:51 pm

This seems like sacrilege, but... when you're hungry...

On the field was this effort, the Planesavers DC-3...

And the crew came over for a good look at the Spitfire restoration, and to sit in the cockpit -- including the pilot! (Some guy named Joe...)

Mind you, even Yak pilots are happy to crawl inside!

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:06 pm

Did you see that Buffalo Joe is on the prowl for replacement wings for his Fox Moth project?

Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:14 am

Not specifically, no, but I did offer my help to Mike McBryan, as a long-time pilot of one.

Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:11 am

Fun little fly-in at Guelph in June. Gus C was there to take photos.

Post a reply