Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Re: Tiger Moth Road Run
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:08 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

After the requisite 4 minute warm up, it's checks-complete and go.

Tail up...

And away...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:48 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

And it even came back...

The two gentlemen watching are Bryan Q, who often flies the airplane and did one of the test flights, and Stan V, the AME, who supervised the re-build and installation -- a real old-time engine guy (he even works on the Warner on my Fairchild!).

Congratulations to Dan and the crew -- the whole bunch -- for getting this lovely old airplane back into the air, on a budget, and with a fresh start.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:44 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great to see Audry back in the air. Is Dan taking it to Gennie again? It does good business for the rides there.

Eric

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:25 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The gentleman who saved the aeroplane in this old thread, Bob McIntyre, died today.

He was a great guy, the local TV weatherman and a celebrity, and he loved the Moth. He took a ride in it when he was about 60, and then declared, "I'm going to learn to fly, get myself trained, and then take this thing up myself."

And he did. From scratch.

His Dad was a WWII RCAF pilot, who learned and then Instructed on the Moth and others. He was long-dead by the time Bob started flight training, but in accomplishing this goal Bob linked up with him. They shared something. And Bob absolutely LIVED for it.

He made himself available to the museum (Edenvale Classic Aircraft Foundation) to take people up, and never turned down a flight. He flew so often that he became known as "The Moth Hog". (He enjoyed that!)

He had cancer for about 15 years (throat). Inoperable. He'd have a chemo treatment, lose all his hair, feel horrible for 2 months, get back on his feet, and then fly for another six. Then, another chemo...

The treatments kept him alive, but eventually affected his lungs and he couldn't keep breathing.

I did a lot of his training, and will miss him. Tonight I raise a glass to him.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:43 pm 

GOD SPEED :drink3:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

On August 8th 2008 Dave did a couple of check out flights for club members.

Bob was first in the Moth. After the flight, Dave told Bob that "today was not the day"
I saw Bob shortly after and he looked dejected for not soloing. I went over to him and I said "Bob. How many recreational pilots
are getting checked out today in a Tiger Moth, with no brakes, that flies from a 1300 foot grass strip?"
He lifted his head a bit and looked at me, I was holding up a single finger. That's right Bob, the answer is one! You are the only one!
Give yourself a break, think about today and come back and do it next time. He did!

I remember the date because it is in my log book. The next flight was mine in the Fleet Canuck.
Long story short, I flew a taildragger by myself for the first time that day. Thanks Dave!

Blue skies and tailwinds Moth Hog! :drinkers:

(going to pour my own Scotch now)

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:45 pm 
KiwiZac

I'd never read this thread and when Dave got to the part about Bob flying in the Tiger then going all-out to get rated, I thought "now THERE's a cool dude!". I'm so sorry to read he's passed. Thanks for sharing, Dave. Hopefully there's a steady stock of Tigers and Gipsys in the next life. :drink3:

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:24 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That's right, a toast: "May all the valve seats stay firmly in the heads, and may she start on the first swing!"

Dave