Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:52 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

What do you mean Formula 1 like secrecy? They post regular updates on their own website and several major Warbird and Aviation photographers have visited and taken quite a few pictures, including Ruud Lew, owner of the Connie Survivors website. They've been very open about their plans as well and have been very active in getting as many people involved in the restoration as possible. In fact, they have posted EXACTLY where the restoration is occurring and who to contact if you want to visit. Not only that, but if they were being "secretive", why post engineering images of their new panel?

I'm sorry that you think that because they don't post photos every day of every little thing they do is being "secrective", but the rest of us here appreciate that they're being as open as possible considering they're a major airline undertaking a major restoration of an aircraft that will be recertified under some of the most stringent standards that are in some respects more restrictive and demanding than those faced by brand new airplanes rolling off the lines in Renton and Toulouse.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:19 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Tiger moth wrote:
Lufthansa has lost a giant oppurnity to showcase the restoration instead we see typical European formula one like secrecy.
Rich Oliver

What a bizarre (and totally incorrect) comment! They have been very open and publicised the restoration at every opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:19 am 
Latest update from the Lufthansa Technik site - interesting information regarding the preparation of flight crews.

http://www.lufthansa-technik.com/super- ... _count%3D2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I forgot, whats to become of the donor Connie up in Auburn?

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:34 pm 
I would love to get a chance to sit in one of these seats and take a ride in the Starliner someday. It will be interesting to see how much Lufthansa will charge for a ride.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Warbird Kid wrote:
I forgot, whats to become of the donor Connie up in Auburn?

I would say it will be going to the scrapyard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:38 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Wasn't it supposed to be put up for sale as a a static project after the flyer was completed?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:03 pm 

There is a way one could think that the no photo policy is being overly secretive. I do. I like pictures. Big ones, in color.
Chris...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:28 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

cwmc wrote:
There is a way one could think that the no photo policy is being overly secretive. I do. I like pictures. Big ones, in color.
Chris...

Or it could be they're concerned that a layman taking pictures in the middle of them doing very important structural work on the airplane that is a major certification issue and then posting them online could create problems for them with the FAA and EASA. There have been occasions in the past where "casual" photographs of airplanes have initiated serious FAA investigations and grounding of aircraft because of a stray shadow or odd angle making it look like a repair or modification wasn't done properly. As it is, on their official updates they post pictures, but again, they're carefully taken to ensure that nothing shown can give the wrong impression and cause them headaches. As someone who's seen what the FAA can cause, I understand where they're coming from.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:54 pm 
Nice little article on the project:

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Re ... 458-1.html

And the new March 2015 issue of Air Classics magazine has a great update article by Ralph Pettersen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:01 pm 
Nice 1958 promotional video from Lufthansa of the "Super Star" Starliner making a flight from Germany to New York.

Can't wait to see the restored airplane fire up its Wright engines and take to the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw5sHLQ ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:25 am 
Great news concerning the Lufthansa Starliner! It looks like it may be staying in the U.S. following its restoration and we may be able to book "pleasure flights" over here.

2016 could be an outstanding year for "Connies" over here. It has been a long time.

http://www.conniesurvivors.com/1-connie_news.htm#APR14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:45 am 

I personally can't wait to pony up for a ride on this airplane. I really enjoyed watching the Lufthansa Ju-52 chug up and down the Rhine valley in summertime. Much respect for this airline's efforts to preserve their heritage instead of just obsessing over the bottom line. The way I see it an airline willing to do things like the Starliner also isn't going to skimp on their regular fleet!!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:43 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Enemy Ace wrote:
The way I see it an airline willing to do things like the Starliner also isn't going to skimp on their regular fleet!!

I'm sure their fleet's fine, it's the vetting of the mental health of their flight crews where they seem to have been somewhat lax. :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:05 pm 
Latest update on this meticulous restoration project. The first flight may still be a ways off, but what a beautiful vintage airliner this will be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next