Switch to full style
A Forum for those interest in vintage NON-military aircraft
Post a reply

Seattle Douglas World Cruiser replica

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:12 am

Don't believe this has been covered in a thread yet: the DWC Seattle II replica will make its first flight at the end of this month. Those of you in the Seattle area who understand that even replicas don't come for free should have a look at http://www.seattleworldcruiser.org/
When I contacted them this time last year they said they had no intention of visiting Oshkosh, but they would publicise their route well in advance, so I'm hoping to see them in Europe next year.

Re: Seattle Douglas World Cruiser replica

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:30 pm

I'm glad to see the project is coming to completion. They got booted from Renton Muni and moved to KBFI and were in Plant 2 until it was torn down. Their website was dormant for so long, I deleted it from 'FAVES' as I figured they'd just given up.
It's too bad it can't be taken to the old NAS Sand Point where the RTW flight began and ended but it's now a Seattle city park.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:42 pm

It will be taken to Sand Point for the jumpoff of the RTW flight, which the Dempsters tell me is planned for April 2014. The World Cruisers originally took off from a runway at the NAS, which I guess no longer exists (I'm a New Yawker), but the replica will take off from the water just off Sand Point. The "first flight" planned for this coming Saturday is--weather and other conditions permitting--going to be a simple liftoff and landing using the length of the Boeing Field runway. Nothing fancy, just airborne briefly.

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:11 pm

Thought this thread could use an update...

Test flights and flight crew training on the Seattle World Cruiser continue.

Bob & Diane Dempster also started a facebook page a few weeks ago, so now we can all keep track of progress.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Seattle- ... 266?ref=hl

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:36 am

Thanks for the link Dan.

I just spent the last two hours checking out this incredibly ambitious project. :shock:

Holy smokes. Talk about dreaming big!
I have no doubt that one of the biggest results of this undertaking will be all of the wonderful friendships built during the recreation of this dream.

Amazing!

Andy
Post a reply