Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:28 am 

Not sure where to put this or if there is interest, but I am trying to build a modest aerodrome, hoping to keep in a WW1 theme to match a Sopwith Camel replica. My budget is somewhat modest, so we started with 11 acres open farmland outside of Dayton, Ohio. While typical minimum RFC standards were a field 1250 x 1250, a field of 300 x 1600 was chosen with a mowed landing field of 1600 x 150 feet - enough for most all WW1 replicas to operate easily. The field was initially in corn, but was drug and Fescue 31 grass was seeded on the landing area. There is a treeline down one side, and the approaches are clear over bean fields. Clear at least when we bury a power line running down the road next month. The first call was to the township zoning inspector who gave the go ahead for the landing field. Next calls were to Ohio DOT/Av and the FAA regional airports office in Michigan to register. Amazingly, the FAA takes even the smallest registered landing areas quite seriously as far as safety is concerned. A long process, but the folks at the FAA were accommodating and tolerant of my not knowing anything. Ohio DOT/Av were great as well - very friendly and helpful. So, again keeping with the 'somewhere in 1917 France' theme, the modest airfield was registered with a very common French name: Aerodrome Les Noyers. I had researched RFC/RNAS aerodrome buildings in France, and came up with initially starting with a wooden technical shed (hangar) and a small watch office based on the Stow Maries Pilot's ready room. Stow Maries is a WW1 aerodrome in Kent, that has completely survived being isolated in the rural English countryside. There would also be a small French farm cottage to live in to keep with the ambiance of being "over there". The aerodrome will ultimately also have a replica Bessoneau tent hangar, but that is in the next couple of years. The 50 x 40 hangar and the watch office were built in cedar planking after a stone drive lined with Poplar-like trees was laid going up to the aerodrome. This tree-lined drive will hopefully be reminiscent of those many French country roads of the early 1900s. In keeping with the name 'Les Noyers', an orchard of walnut trees will be planted in front of the cottage. The watch office interior, complete with wood stove and 1915 Victrola and period maps, acts as a nice 'hang out spot' for visiting aviation enthusiasts. the hangar houses the Sopwith and has room for a future project BE2c. Feel free to check out the Facebok page under Aerodrome Les Noyers for notams and announcements. I post some more details about the mechanics of building and running a small (tiny) antique airfield if there is interest, and hope to see you all someday for a spot of tea!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:58 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Sounds fantastic.
I'd love to add this to my list of places to visit.
I hope you don't mind modern aircraft. I'd be stopping by in my 1940 Tiger moth! :lol:

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:18 am 

DH82EH wrote:
Sounds fantastic.
I hope you don't mind modern aircraft. I'd be stopping by in my 1940 Tiger moth! :lol:

Andy Scott

You have an open invitation! Just send me a note here or better, the Facebook page for Aerodrome Les Noyers and I'll be there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:48 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

About time you wnadered back over here and showed off the place :supz:

I've been following you over on the other board as you build and it's been a blast watching it all. As soon as you are back in the air, you've got to do some aerial shots of it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You might try to promote it and get visitors coming to the NMUSAF's biennial "Dawn Patrol" WWI (replica, of course) Fly-In. Stage an event just prior to their event and welcome drop ins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:56 am 

DH82EH wrote:
Sounds fantastic.

Andy Scott

Would love to see your plane next to its older distant cousin here!
We should be operational in a month or so, with a fly-in picnic next year. Hope to see everyone !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I've never flown WWI aircraft, but I have flown a DH82A Tiger Moth with no brakes, only a skid, and a Fox Moth, and other old biplanes.

A field length of 1600 ft is a bit short. The 300 ft wide part is wonderful. But if you could get it to 2000 ft in length it would be better. If you leave it at 1600 ft you might want to discourage Cessna 172-style aircraft from dropping in. You're in the Champ/J-3 class.

If there is a fence at either end, I'd recommend taking it down, as well as those power lines.

Lovely looking airplane!

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:09 pm 

Dave Hadfield wrote:
I've never flown WWI aircraft, but I have flown a DH82A Tiger Moth with no brakes, only a skid, and a Fox Moth, and other old biplanes.

A field length of 1600 ft is a bit short. The 300 ft wide part is wonderful. But if you could get it to 2000 ft in length it would be better. If you leave it at 1600 ft you might want to discourage Cessna 172-style aircraft from dropping in. You're in the Champ/J-3 class.

If there is a fence at either end, I'd recommend taking it down, as well as those power lines.

Lovely looking airplane!

Dave

Yes, we are working with DP&L to bury the lines in September. With clear approaches over beanfields, the 1600 feet should be ok. Most of us with WW1 replicas take off and land in well under 1000 feet, and the clear low approaches really help. My neighbor with a similar 1600 foot strip and hangar operates his Travelair in and out no problem. If the land at the end ever becomes available, we'll look at extending to 2000 feet. Even then I don't expect we'll have a lot of nosewheel traffic. :) We'll muddle on with what we have for a while. :) Hope to see you here someday!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:56 pm 

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome has a 2200x75' runway with trees on both approaches. That runway has seen everything from WWI replicas to modern tri-gears to a T-6! The 1600' would discourage the less skilled and that would be a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:26 pm 

Having landed and taken off from Old Rhinebeck, I can tell you it also has a fairly strong dogleg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:27 am 

We are also building a small French farm cottage to call a modest home. It is based on northern French and Norman farmhouses, and sits along the long driveway to the Aerodrome from Brickel Road.

The big project for next year is to try and build a full size Bessonneau tent hangar. Not cheap, but would be the centerpiece of the field and offer other WW1 replicas a place to stay. Hope to see everyone someday!

www.facebook.com/AerodromeLesNoyers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:40 am 

It looks like a beautiful place to fly into. I wish you all the best luck in you project.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:07 am 

Hometown kid hits the papers:

http://eaa.org/news/2013/2013-08-13_WWI ... %3A+130815

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How freakin' cool! Your taking (one of my dreams) and doing it Ohio! Awesome!

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:33 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Awesome project! Sounds like something I have wanted to build since I was 10!