Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Waco Company Dates
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:06 pm 

I've been sorting historic Waco (and Weaver and Advance Aircraft companies) documents, from the Original company archives, for disposition.
I came across this unusual date and seal. One might assume, or suggest the document has been back-dated, but, still... Here is the FACT of the document.

The prevailing conclusion of historians, is that the Waco Company was Officially formed (Evolving from the previous Weaver, then, Advance Aircraft companies)on May 29, 1929.
This official archival document from the Original Waco archives, is not only Dated Dec.31, 1928, but has the full "Waco Aircraft Company-Troy Ohio" official company embossing seal, stamped on it.

Post subject: Re: Waco Company Dates
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:26 pm 

I find that interesting. Lee Brutus was VP of Waco and I own that machine that does that embossing from the Waco factory! What does the rest of the document say?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:11 am 

Hi Andy;
Having that original Waco Company seal is really great!
The document referred to above. is a cover letter for a list of aircraft patents, that the Waco Co. was registering with the Manufacturers Aircraft Assoc. (I don't need to tell YOU, what that is about..)
It is one page of some 93 pages of listings and letters, in that One file. (and even pencil printed production figures of early Waco lists of planes produced (so they could be tallied for what Waco would owe on the cross licensing patent agreements). A neat list, by Waco model, List price, Number of "ships," List value, Dealer Discount, and net value, Less motors and more, with totals etc. All kinds of original and updated lists of all the aircraft mfrs in the organization, and their officers and addresses etc, From the 61 companies in 1929, through the much expanded list in WWII. It is one of several MAA files in the company archives. They cover the obvious, Curtiss, Cessna, Martin, Douglas etc, and every other mfr through the obscure, like Coffman, B.J. Aircraft, Sturtevant, Viking, Butler etc.
It is a file I also appreciate (as an obsessive collector of historic aircraft signatures/historic documents, for past 45 years)for the hand -signatures of Frank H. Russell, its long-term President, who was the First Manager of the Original Wright Company factory in Dayton, and then Burgess, then Curtiss and others. Significantly, Clayton Brukner, Waco Pres, was a long time menber of the Board of Directors of the MAA, and even its VP for several of the WWII years. Obviously too many great aviation stories, in this file to attempt a summary in a forum post.

Sure would like to show you some of these Waco archives file drawers and albums (in which I have preserved and protected the most significant of the early Weaver, Advance, AND Waco historical signed documents) There is NO WAY to scan them all or list them individually, with such a volume of material.
*and Then... would LOVE for you to help ID some of those faces in these many albums of original National Air Race files. :wink:
Stop by (the airport is only 1/2 mile down the street,) on one of your trips to Florida, one of these days..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:36 pm 

I would love to look through those files! Always willing to help identifying any photos!