Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Taylorcraft question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:40 pm 

Trying to determine if a story on a non-aircraft site has any credence. The poster claims that he rode in a 1942 T-craft in Oregon and that the stall speed on it was 20 mph! He had actually used 15 mph a couple years prior when he told it the first time. I have a hard time accepting this.

While there was no model for this particular T-Craft given, a friend looked up some data on the web and it gave 45 mph power off and 43 mph power on for some models of the T-craft, which sounds about right. I briefly owned an Aeronca 7-EC and it stalled at 52 mph, both power on and power off.

Any T-craft owners/fliers here who can shed some light on this? All help appreciated, thanks.

Post subject: Re: Taylorcraft question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:03 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I have a few hours in a Taylorcraft. They stall in the low-mid 40's. Either the pitot/static system or ASI was off somehow, or the poster was telling tales.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:05 pm 

I seriously doubt that claim too, unless there was some serious mods done to the plane like VG's and such.
Most of those little planes ASI systems are somewhat inaccurate and indicated airspeed can vary quite a lot from one plane to another plane. I know my 7AC is advertised as having a stall speed of 38 mph and I just read the 7EC is advertised as 38 kts, which converts to 44-45 mph.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:39 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I have a BC-12D. The book says it stalls at 35-38 mph, INDICATED on my bird tends to be around 40-43 depending on weight. The only way I would believe him would be if they had a GPS on board and he was watching ground speed vs. airspeed.

This is my bird at the Burnet Airshow yesterday. I use it for tailwheel and primary training and we do stalls in her fairly often.

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Champ driver wrote:
I seriously doubt that claim too, unless there was some serious mods done to the plane like VG's and such.

It would take a LOT more than VG's to cut the stall speed in half. Getting it under 30 would require every trick in the book - slats, VG's, Fowler flaps, more power. Look at the guys who do the short field competitions in Alaska. Even with their extreme modifications, <20 mph isn't realistic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:59 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sounds like he had some instruments way out of whack.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:23 am 

Thanks to everybody for all the help here...and that pretty well puts my mind at ease.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:33 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The pitot system is the culprit. YOu can get lower indications than actual stall speeds. He may have been looking at 20 on the gauge. Wings don't really start producing life until you get in the 20s or faster. The Wortmann airfoil is one of the lowest and is used on helicopter blades. THe Clark Y airfoil is also a really low airspeed airfoil used on the pre-war taylorcrafts and Aeroncas, and many other aircraft.
Last, if the stall speed is say, 35 mph that is with one G-force. If you "un-G" the airplane the stall speed decreases. At Stallion 51 in the TF-51 they demonstrate this. THey do about a 3 g pull up and with the nose wanting to stall in the near vertical position, they un-G the airplane to say O g, and it will keep flying with ridiculously low indicated airspeed.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Taylorcraft airfoil is a 23012, same as a Beech Staggerwing-

-