Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: BAC-111 question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have a quick question for you guys. The BAC-111 was in a discussion among friends and I referred to it sounding like "bock 111". A lot of guys Who volunteered with me back at my Air Heritage days in Pittsburgh all referred to it as that. They were all Mohawk and Allegheny Airlines guys. My friends here in Wisconsin have never heard it called that. Was it a regional nickname? Anyone else ever hear of this.

Post subject: Re: BAC-111 question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:55 am 

Everyone at USAir pronounced it "bock one-eleven" and it had the nickname of "Rocket", because it gave one a kick on takeoff. Before the current PIT terminal was built the boys at Hangar 5 watched a "Rocket" maneuver at less than a few hundred feet on takeoff to avoid a thunderstorm at the end of Runway 28. The sight of that one-eleven in a much greater than standard rate turn, barely visible above the old radar site gave credence to that nickname. Many photos of the Mohawk 1-11s acquired by Allegheny can be found here:
http://www.postcardpost.com/MohawkImages.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks so much! The 111 also seemed loud without the hush kit. I know you worked in 5 with Clair. Did you remember Al Yessel and Jim Bob?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:40 pm 

Oh yeah, all those guys, good bunch. Typically as for most airlines, you could see stickers on toolboxes from all the defunct carriers where these mechs worked. That is why boxes had wheels! When one thinks of the decades of experience on the hangar floor, we worked along with pilots from WWII, Korea and Vietnam, door gunners , flight engineers, flight test techs, with hands on experience ranging from J-3 to SR-71!. Good times.
By the way you are doing a great service at EAA.
Blue skies!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is so awesome! Clair always said that he worked in the best hangar in the company. Thanks so much for the compliment. As you know I had a great teacher!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:26 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'm surprised that anyone in Wisconsin doesn't know that nickname especially seeing as Air Wisconsin flew 2 "BAC Jets" (as ATC referred to them as) - the BAC 1-11, and the BAe (BAC) 146. I remember the first time I heard "BAC Jet" was when I was being chased down during my Private Pilot training at Grand Forks by a Northwest/Mesaba RJ85. When I started at Denver (first with Air Wisconsin, then with ASIG), we always called the 146's the "BAC Jets", and we had a pair of private BAC 1-11's that visited the Signature at Denver on a fairly regular basis. Also, I've heard both 'back' and 'bock' from Brits, so I think both are acceptable.

I've always been impressed with what BAC did with such "pigeon-hole" requirements from the British Government (which forced them to meet the British airline industry needs and ignore what other airlines were looking for) especially seeing as they were competing against the Caravelle and the DC-9.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks so much guys! This help me shed some light on this. I love the Mohawk schemes that they used to have. The BAC looked sharp in the black and gold.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:40 pm 

When I talked to AA pilots and mechanics about the "Astrojet 400" after it was retired, they often referred to it as the, "Bock-Ah-La".