Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:12 pm 

Be patient, Mr. Billings! Right now we are all busy reaching for our credit cards and ordering our "Niku VIII Search Reference Kits" from TIGGER. Give us time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:35 am 

AlanH wrote:
Be patient, Mr. Billings! Right now we are all busy reaching for our credit cards and ordering our "Niku VIII Search Reference Kits" from TIGGER. Give us time.
I'm holding out for the Super Saturn Secret Star Scope Earhart Decoder...

I've been through 13 Cracker Jack boxes so far, no luck - gonna have to get off the dime if this lady is to be found... LOL!!!

With laughter and intent of mirth only, no animals were harmed nor were fingers intended to be crushed by this missive.

Makin' smoke... where are you lady???

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:22 pm 

hey bump! This rather relevant thread rocks too. Come take a break from there over here. Especially great in this one is AlanH's breakdown of how few aircraft actually used the S3H1. Really narrows it down. To like, one. I'd say it's high time to come get on this side of the fence, so you can say you were on-board way back when (the closest we can get to see-your-name-in-lights). I would totally bet the farm on this one. Not just a theory for much longer. Such confidence is not jinxing, I see it as me drumming up excitement. My own! East New Britain is the kryptonite to Tigger's seeming invulnerability--can't very well have an AE cottage industry if she goes and gets found now can we? Our very own David Billings' lean and efficient operation is the absolute antithesis of the flashy high-profile mess that just weighed anchor and dieseled for home, sans da plane. Hitch your wagon to a star! DB ENB C/N1055 S3H1 63(a)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:16 pm 

Courier Sportster wrote:
Our very own David Billings' lean and efficient operation is the absolute antithesis of the flashy high-profile mess that just weighed anchor and dieseled for home, sans da plane.
Certainly no doubt about that. From what I see, he does his homework quietly and patiently over time, and ventures out almost exclusively on his own funds. I've never seen any reason to doubt his honesty or sincerity. I think a lot of people wish him luck (and a safe trip!) in discovering just what is buried there in East New Britain.

Your level of enthusiasm is fairly amazing, haha. I am very glad that you are intelligent enough not to be a True Believer in certain other theories; debating in opposition to you would be a full-time task. :D

And, thanks for your kind words about my previous post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:01 am 

AlanH wrote:
Courier Sportster wrote:
Our very own David Billings' lean and efficient operation is the absolute antithesis of the flashy high-profile mess that just weighed anchor and dieseled for home, sans da plane.
Certainly no doubt about that. From what I see, he does his homework quietly and patiently over time, and ventures out almost exclusively on his own funds. I've never seen any reason to doubt his honesty or sincerity. I think a lot of people wish him luck (and a safe trip!) in discovering just what is buried there in East New Britain.

Your level of enthusiasm is fairly amazing, haha. I am very glad that you are intelligent enough not to be a True Believer in certain other theories; debating in opposition to you would be a full-time task. :D

And, thanks for your kind words about my previous post.

Do we know if the indefatigable Mr B has set off yet, and if so, what progress he's making?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:48 pm 

Not a clue but I hope and pray the crocs and ants don't get him... holy cow that is NOT a friendly place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:41 pm 

I believe all he has said so far, earlier in this thread, is "in July". I'm assuming that once on site, away from Port Moresby, there will be no internet; and without a pile of OPM I doubt he would spend on the luxury of a satphone. So we probably will not be treated to Daily Reports . . .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:59 am 

I wish him well. David is a fiercly convicted and bold man.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:34 pm 

all this fun has prompted me to build the 10E. not a big one, a model! and nothing so ambitious as from scratch. online, bought a 1/53 scale (weird) called "the missing electra!" ha! i'll save the box. It will go in the pile with my chock full o' nuts can that has the skyline of the world trade center twin towers depicted on it. probably to be built as a diorama, just need to wait until the proper attitudes and angles are transmitted. i'm patient. I have a models backlog anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:58 am 

Cool!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:07 am 

Tim Mellon wrote:
Jeffrey Neville wrote:
- The 487 Report shows (Page 15, Fig. IX) that 30 degrees of flap on take-off would have provided a shorter ground roll, yet at Lae, Earhart used no flaps and nearly all the available runway, including dropping off the end to apparent ground effect over the waters below for some distance. That appears to be a lapse, in my view: the same chart shows that climb performance is improved with a lesser flap setting - but one must get into the air and establish a positive climb before that is useful. Flaps can be slowly retracted once a positive climb is established.

Captain Ted Lawson made the same mistake whilst taking off his B-25 from the Hornet on the way to Tokyo. Pilots sometimes make mistakes in their excitement.

Earhart seems to have spent a lot of time being excited about the public nature of her flights, but not so much a great record for being attentive to detail.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:59 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

My reading has it that she was not that experienced a pilot. She actually had someone else fly her about on he speaking tours, this person being careful to stay out of photographs. In her racing, she tended to fly what was arguably the fastest airplane to fifth place. Paul Mantz is supposed to have been surprised at the lack of skills she demonstrated in the initial round-the-world flight, which ended with a take-off crash in Honolulu, likely caused by pilot error.

While Lindberg gave great and continuous attention to the improvement of his navigation and other skills, Amelia seems to have let these slide. If any particular blame were to be placed on her loss, it could be to her lack of precise communication prior to the flight with those that she would be having radio communication with, and her general lack of radio communication skills during the flight. She did not seem to be working on improving these skills during the course of her around the world flight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:23 pm 
a.k.a. TBDude

Any news?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:06 pm 

Saw a program on pbs think is about the 1980s . I think the 99ers who were female group of flyers during EH time flew flying events shows interviewed in their 80s 90s they say they never saw her work on flying skills. Famous pic of most of them taken in early 30s with EH.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:34 pm 

I noticed that Mr. Billings' site Electra on New Britain has disappeared. Dave himself hasn't made a post anywhere online in at least four months now. Anyone know what his situation is?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next