Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:55 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Has anyone seen this beautiful aircraft? It looks spectacular.

http://peckaeroplanerestoration.com/DH-4/dh4.htm

http://www.opencockpit.net/dh4/dh4.html

http://fairchild24.com/dh4.htm

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:33 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

It looks great, but I believe it was only flown for a year or so before being parked.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:44 am 

There's a chance it might fly later this summer or early in the fall. It all depends on when the Air Sedan and Robin projects get finished in Glen's shop. After that, I think he is going back to work on the J-1 Standard's carb and header tank situation so it can fly. After all that gets done, I think they might put the DH-4 back in annual.

Glen Peck sure did do a great job on the restoration and since it made it to and from Oshkosh and then to and from Blakesburg a few years ago, it really is a flyer, not just a pattern airplane. Considering the Liberty engine is approaching the "100 year old" mark and no other Liberty has flown for anywhere near that long in the last 40+ years, it's even more remarkable.

I'm still on that Unicorn hunt, trying to find a photo of a Robertson DH-4M2A being used to haul mail for the company. I've got images of both wood fuselage DH-4 mail plane conversions and Boeing steel fuselage DH-4M1s both wearing Robertson paint schemes. I've found log book entries of CAL flying DH-4M2As while in the Missouri Air Guard and photos of at least one Fokker built DH-4M2A mail plane taken somewhere in the U.S. but so far, no evidence that Robertson ever painted a DH-4M2A like this one. Robertson certainly owned some DH-4M2As but they may have just been some of the hundreds of used planes that the company bought and sold during their time at Lambert Field. When I talked my father into the Robertson paint scheme, I really did not yet grasp how different the Boeing built DH-4 looked in comparison to the Fokker built DH-4. I had been around Evergreen's Boeing built DH-4M1 while I was with the company and from the outside view, the M1 looks pretty much exactly like the late model wood fuselage DH-4 mail planes. Bottom line, I may have screwed up on this one. It's like painting a CASA HA-112 Buchon with a Bf-109 paint scheme. but I digress. pop2