Switch to full style
A Forum for those interest in vintage NON-military aircraft
Post a reply

FAA aircraft register pre-1962

Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:22 am

Hello,

I am trying to trace the history of AT-6, NX57799 (later N57799). The FAA did a culling of their files in 1962. Sadly the file for this aircraft was among those destroyed.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative source that might have the history of US aircraft pre-1962 please?

Thank you,
Michael Traynor
Dublin.

Re: FAA aircraft register pre-1962

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:50 pm

Here is what Geoff Goodall has on it:
78-6213 AT-6A 41-15915 NX57799 Queen City Flying Service, Cincinnati OH .46/47
(Cleveland racer #83 The Weaker Six,
pilot Jane Hlavacek, Wilmett IL: mod. single-seat racer)
N57799 rereg. .48
http://www.goodall.com.au/warbirds-dire ... n-yale.pdf

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:07 pm

Hello warbirdnerd,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to look up that info and reply.

I have been exchanging messages with Geoff, but unfortunately he is unable to supply any more info than what is on his web site.

I'm hoping that some guy back in the 1950's might have compiled extracts from the register around then..... yes, its praying for a miracle I know, but worth putting out the request.!!....lol

Thank you
Michael
Dublin.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:25 am

The FAA Aircraft Registry used to be published in paperback and distributed to control towers and other FAA facilities that needed to be able to identify aircraft N-numbers. It used to be that if you knew someone in a tower, you could get their old copy when they got a new one. Finding someone who kept a copy this long could be difficult but I imagine that the Library of Congress would have gotten copies.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:35 am

cessnaguy wrote:The FAA Aircraft Registry used to be published in paperback and distributed to control towers and other FAA facilities that needed to be able to identify aircraft N-numbers. It used to be that if you knew someone in a tower, you could get their old copy when they got a new one. Finding someone who kept a copy this long could be difficult but I imagine that the Library of Congress would have gotten copies.

Good idea! FleaBay surely though?

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:24 pm

Thank you very much cessnaguy for that reply. I will contact the Library of Congress as you suggest.

I appreciate you taking the trouble to reply.
Kind regards
Michael.
Post a reply