Switch to full style
A Forum for those interest in vintage NON-military aircraft
Post a reply

The Airline History Museum wants to acquire a DC-8

Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:09 pm

www.airlinehistory.org

Re: The Airline History Museum wants to acquire a DC-8

Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:20 pm

Interesting. I hope they are successful in acquiring it and actually keeping it in airworthy condition. Would love to see it at some air shows in 2016 like they mentioned.

Keeping an airplane in airworthy condition has not seemed to be the forte of the Airline History Museum for some time, but I wish them the best.

Really think getting the Super Connie back in the air should be the main focus, but any effort to put a vintage airliner in the air is good.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:26 pm

Are there any airworthy DC-8s left in America without the high bypass turbans (the Seventy series, IIRC)?

Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Anything new on this, or is this just another pie in the sky/dead in the water idea from the Airline History Museum....?

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:16 pm

I saw this DC-8 at Willow Run last week. It's an ex-National Air Cargo that the airline donated to the Yankee Air Museum. It's not too far removed from flying (2011).
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled ... CF/2765065

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:08 pm

Anything new on this, or is this just another pie in the sky/dead in the water idea from the Airline History Museum....?

The last I heard was they were going to try and get the 727 from Museum of Flight back to KC asap since its on a borrowed ramp space at Clay Lacy. Then they are going to try and get the DC-8 back to KC. After that the goal is to get the DC-3 finished up/flying and then the Connie will go into a heavy check back to airworthy status.

As for the 727 the gear were swung in the last couple of days and taxied for the first time yesterday. Looks like everything is on schedule.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:40 am

JohnB wrote:Are there any airworthy DC-8s left in America without the high bypass turbans (the Seventy series, IIRC)?

Don't believe so. I think NASA operates one but it's a -71
Post a reply