Re: United to retire their 747's before the end of the year

Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:03 pm

That's pushing it for warbird news!

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Its not intended to be warbird news.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:22 pm

Pardon me, I thought I was in the Vintage Aviation section, I must have wandered into the Airline section, my mistake.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Champ driver wrote:Pardon me, I thought I was in the Vintage Aviation section, I must have wandered into the Airline section, my mistake.

First one flew 48 years ago. That, sadly, pretty much DOES make it Vintage.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:43 pm

I know when they first flew, I was around then too.
My point is, if you guys want to talk about aluminum tubes then start a separate section for them. My interest is in other planes, not airline jets that are not vintage enough. It may vintage to you and others, sorry, but in my opinion, airline jets are completely boring.
I'm sure there are hundreds of places on the web where people can and do talk about airline jets all day long.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Champ driver wrote:I know when they first flew, I was around then too.
My point is, if you guys want to talk about aluminum tubes then start a separate section for them. My interest is in other planes, not airline jets that are not vintage enough. It may vintage to you and others, sorry, but in my opinion, airline jets are completely boring.
I'm sure there are hundreds of places on the web where people can and do talk about airline jets all day long.

C'mon man. If you don't like the topic, don't click on the thread. Ain't like skipping over a thread costs extra.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Hey! The news is that 747s are about to be truly vintage. That is real news, and appropriate to the list. In a very few years I will be at an airport and saying to my poor wife "WOWWW, that is a SEVEN-FORTY-SEVEN on the tarmac. Wouldn't it be great if that was our flight!" I said some similar thing years ago when I saw Piedmont DC-3s operating out of Boston.

Time flies, and now 747s are the new DC-3s. Who would have thought that would happen in our lifetimes.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:30 am

Kyleb wrote:

C'mon man. If you don't like the topic, don't click on the thread. Ain't like skipping over a thread costs extra.

True Dat! Also, one must be sure of their "facts" before they state absolutes 'round these parts. The Vintage Aviation section clearly states this forum is for the discussion of NON-Military aircraft. Airliner types have been a bit of an orphan, but for the most part being non-military they end up here...sometimes they end up in the General Aviation section. There is interest in them to Warbirder's tho, many ex-military pilots and crews have held personal experiences in these types in their post service lives. The careers airliners supported kept the Warbird junkies in taters till they could finance the Warbird jones. There is also the periphreal...mebbee tenuous in some cases of airliner types being contracted to the military or served in special needs cases. The 747, IIRC began life as contestant in the contract which the C-5A won.The VC-25A, Air Force 1, serves as the commander in chief's military command post in a pinch. Then there's the more specialized four USAF E-4B mobile command post's. There was the USAF YAL-1A laser-packin' Jumbo which was used to test the feasability as a airborne laser ICBM killer. Then there's the space SCA shuttle haulers, a partially military use product.

My own tenuous experience of the military 747 was a block of seats purchased by the Navy in 1974 which carried other recruits and my skinny(then) tushy to boot camp...my first and last 747 ride. The other 2 commercial flights were 737's. Defacto...When I fly commercial, I only fly Boeing! Will one of the retired vintage 747's be at OSH in with the Cessna 195's etc?

Take it eaasssy baby, we're all friends here... :wink:

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:50 pm

Sorry guys, I like all old aircraft...even the less popular airliners, general aviation types and...heaven forbid...helicopters.
There is more to life than just warbirdss.

In 1975 I flew in Pan Am 747s to London. One the way home we were over northern Canada and the soon to retire captain came back into the cabin. He told he started out as a very junior pilot in the Boeing 314s. Anyone who can't appreciate that history...

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:50 pm

checked out in the 47 in 1981, my favorite jet to fly :drink3:

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:43 pm

One thing to keep in mind, the version of the 747 being retired is the "modern" -400 series. The term vintage is fluid as time marches on. In the age of Dreamliners and A350s with their associated tech renders types like this obsolete...that said I still can't believe how time has passed. It seems like only a few years ago that I was awestruck seeing a 747 with winglets.

As for the crusty ones slapping us in the face with their opinions about what they consider vintage....don't feed the trolls. Misery loves company.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:37 pm

A couple more desert airports to get filled up with 'retired' jumbo jets. :lol:

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:18 pm

So you have absolutely no interest in airliners yet you still clicked on a thread link that was clearly identified as being about, wait for it, airliners. And then you proceed to tell others that they should abide by your definition of what is and isn't "vintage" and to take the discussion somewhere else. I think vernicator hit the nail on the head.
Post a reply