Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Sky Gods
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A friend just sent me a link to this, a 1964 film about a TCA DC-8 flight from Montreal to Montego Bay and back.

I met that particular Captain once, Windy Reid, in about 1976, in his hangar where he had a TravelAir biplane amongst others. He seemed covered with glory to my 18 year-old eyes... He was also a very decorated WWII pilot; flew Mosquitos I believe.

I like the views of the passengers, dressed up and on their best behavior, boys wearing jacket-and-tie, ladies wearing furs. And the flight crew walking across the ramp in step!

https://www.nfb.ca/film/jet-pilot/

https://www.nfb.ca/film/jet-pilot/

Dave

Post subject: Re: Sky Gods
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:55 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Now this is GREAT...tks for sharing Dave!

Like those:
- Luggages...evolution
- 1964...I was not even born yet....
- Dorval....hihi...am getting old
- No jetways....
- The RR exhaust cowls.....early mark?
- The cockpit dash: from your Fairchild to the DC8 to how simpler dashboards are today. Takes one heck of a brain to compute all those dials in
- What is the noise when the engines are started? At 6:50 ish....
- The pre-flight list on the cockpit frame
- What are the air intakes on the nose? First time I notice those on a DC8?
- A metal fork with real food and China...I remember those...
- Imperial vs Metric
- And most important.....the NFB contribution to Canadian history! Never ceases to amaze me

Never flown on an 8th....but wow tks for this Canadian snippet!!!! Really appreciated this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:15 pm 

A few answers below in red..

Michel Lemieux wrote:
Now this is GREAT...tks for sharing Dave!

Like those:
- Luggages...evolution
- 1964...I was not even born yet....
- Dorval....hihi...am getting old
- No jetways....
- The RR exhaust cowls.....early mark?
- The cockpit dash: from your Fairchild to the DC8 to how simpler dashboards are today. Takes one heck of a brain to compute all those dials in Todays instrument panels are , if anything, even more complicated. You need to be close to a computer expert to navigate all the different menus and settings and be a computer programmer to decode what is going wrong when things go sideways. They look cleaner, but are many times more complicated!
- What is the noise when the engines are started? At 6:50 ish.... I would guess it is a starter cart, blows high pressure air into the engine to get it started. Neve heard one like that but you can see the exhaust air blowing out the side during the start sequence
- The pre-flight list on the cockpit frame
- What are the air intakes on the nose? First time I notice those on a DC8?All DC-8's have them. The main purpose is to feed air into the compressors that pressurise the cabin
- A metal fork with real food and China...I remember those...
- Imperial vs Metric
- And most important.....the NFB contribution to Canadian history! Never ceases to amaze me

Never flown on an 8th....but wow tks for this Canadian snippet!!!! Really appreciated this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Yes, those were very early days with Air Canada. The airline had many models of DC-8s, starting with the 40s with the R-R Conway engines.

I remember quizzing my Dad during long drives to the cottage -- he would have a checkride coming up, so he'd ask me (maybe 12?) to go through the pages of the QRH and correct him on the memorized drills. Complicating the solutions were the 40, 50 and 60-series models, with many engine and wing changes. Pilots had to memorize all the operational differences.

When the A320 first came out, everyone was touting the modern "clean" panel, with far fewer gauges and dials and instruments. Many gushing statements. But the truth was, the whole old-fashioned panel was being squeezed onto 2 CRT screens. A huge amount of information was shoehorned into a small space. Years after I was flying it, the question would often arise: "Has that little indicator always been there?" The DC-8 had a very large attitude indicator. It was very easy to see a small deviation.

A DC-8 has no APU. The starter is driven by high-pressure air, which has to be supplied by an "air-cart", which is either a bottle (or 2) or a compressor. A BIG whine when you say, "Start." After the first one, you can start the rest using air supplied by the running engine through cross-bleed ducts.

The Conway engines were distinctive. I believe you firewalled the throttles at takeoff, rather than modulated them. The FCU was supposed to sort out max-power for you based on temp and press. Noisy and smoky.

Yes, a convenient place for a Before Take-off Check was on the window-frame. Can't get lost. But later checklists were on a separate board with items crossed-off by the S/O.

The DC-8 used a Freon-based air-conditioning system. Those chin-slits were the intakes. Later I believe they were modified, and air-cycle turbines were used.

I never flew the "8". But it was folklore at AC for a very long time.

Glad you liked the film. Capt. Reid exemplified an era at the airline -- a wartime hero, still working into the 1970s, VERY old-fashioned. No modern-style CRM at all. But a highly-talented, demanding, skilled pilot who survived. And that was saying something.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

double post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:49 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Great video.

Minor correction on the whoosh before the whine. That is actually the sound of the starter valve opening, not the air start cart itself. You can tell its cold too since you can see the starter exhaust on the lower right of the cowling. I think the sound also isn't unique to the Conway as I've heard it on the BAC 1-11 during start with the Spey engines.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:14 pm 

Note, as well, that the pilot drives a rusted (8-year-old) 1956 Mercury off to work. Not much Hollywood glamorization there- just a man doing his job. An outstanding film!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:45 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mark Sampson wrote:
Note, as well, that the pilot drives a rusted (8-year-old) 1956 Mercury off to work.

To be exact, it's a 1955 Monarch Richelieu two-door hardtop - top of the line that year for Canada's dressed-up version of the Mercury. Wouldn't mind having one... 8)
Great little movie. Anyone have an ID for ship 810?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:48 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Nowadays bleed air directly from the engines is used to pressurize the cabin. Back then they were concerned about engine fumes. The DC-8 routed bleed air to remotely mounted "turbochargers" that compressed fresh air for cabin pressure.

martin_sam_2000 wrote:
- What are the air intakes on the nose? First time I notice those on a DC8?All DC-8's have them. The main purpose is to feed air into the compressors that pressurise the cabin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:38 pm 

The NFB has several excellent aviation themed films that can be viewed for free on their website (not just "The Defender"!).

This one is one of my favourites for the great shots of Canadair North Star Merlins getting some attention in the engine shop:

https://www.nfb.ca/film/routine_flight/

I won't spoil the surprise unveiling of the new aircraft at the end...