Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Ohio Aviation Museum
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:55 pm 

I am very interested in any information regarding a currently operating museum and board that focuses on early aviation, and educating young people in aviation history. They are possibly located an a building in Medina, Ohio? Any contact info would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Ohio Aviation Museum
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:58 pm 

Here is some news:
http://www.flymedina.com/History-Gallery.html
http://everythingmedinaohio.com/2010/12 ... a-flyboys/
A similar display of local avhistory can be found at the Wheeling, West Virginia terminal/control tower. Displays of notable West Virginians and visiting air pioneers from personal collections.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... ginia.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:02 am 

Thank you so much for suggesting those leads. After following up on them,(including phone calls) I did not find what I was looking for.

There is a long existing aviation website, specializing on the history of The Early Birds, and other Pioneer Era aviators, called earlyaviators.com

The new manager of that website posted that:

"Early Aviators. All of the files (some one of a kind) will be made available to those of you who wish to visit our new physical library in Ohio "

Does such a library exist? Exactly where? and who are the board members and contact info? The contact info on the website does not provide that info, nor does the new administrator.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:21 pm 

I went to the Early Birds of Aviation site and read the same notice you referred to. George Ficke who is requesting donations is in Lodi, Ohio. His business name is on the donation page.
http://ohio.construction-us.org/716393- ... er_aei.htm
The address on Google Earth takes you to a farm location. Location of the archive?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Does that museum have any connection to the Lane museum?

Mr. Lane was a pioneer aviator and founder of Lane Aviation in Columbus?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:49 am 

Don't know if the excellent Foster Lane Museum is still in existence, but not related to anything with G. Ficke. and the Medina aviation museum people say they have never heard of Ficke, Very odd? If there IS an actual "physical library" with a bunch of active board members, hard to believe I cannot find a current link on the Internet, or after asking local Ohio aviation people? and asking/taking donations on the Early Bird website, he took over from Dr. Ralph Cooper, who set it up for decades. :?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:10 pm 

The Foster Lane collection ended up with the Ohio Historical Society as described below:
https://www.ohiohistory.org/learn/colle ... ght-museum
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... G644C.html
This story seems to repeat itself too often.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:55 am 

Being a lifelong antique airplane and warbird buff from Ohio, I can say I have never heard of this place in Medina or Lodi, Ohio. I can however, comment on the Ohio History of Flight Museum that was founded by Foster Lane of Columbus. I was involved from the very start and continued through my time at Ohio State University. Fast forward to around 2011-12, I was the one who made contact with the Ohio Historical Society in regards to all the artifacts in storage at a facility at Port Columbus Airport on behalf of the Waco Historical Society Museum and Learning Center in Troy, Ohio.

I worked with the OHS for about 6 months in regards to loaning artifacts to the Waco Museum. I was the VP on the Board of Directors as well as the Museum Curator. The OHS allowed me to come survey what was in storage and what was relevant to Waco history. A number of items were selected and after completing loan paperwork (after verification that we met OHS loan guidelines), we made arrangements to retrieve the artifacts. A semi truck and driver was loaned to our museum by a trucking company that currently resides in the original Waco factory in Troy. We also had several other trailers and about 15 people helping. In the end we brought back to Waco the following items:

1926 Waco 9
1928 Waco 10
1928 Ford AA Fuel truck
1923 Saxon Automobile
Curtiss OX-5 engine
Curtiss OXX-6 engine
110 LeRhone engine
Warner 125 engine
Jacobs R755 engine
6 wooden propellers of various makes
1/4 scale Curtiss Jenny museum display model uncovered

All items are currently on display at the Waco Museum in Troy, Ohio as well as a number of additional Waco Aircraft and artifacts related to the Waco Aircraft Company. I highly suggest a visit if your ever in the Dayton, Ohio area.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:29 pm 

Happy to hear these artifacts found the proper home. The above articles did breakdown the various locations for the remaining Foster Lane collection, so preservation is continuing. This Medina/Lodi/Early Bird situation is still a quandary, curiouser and curiouser.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:45 pm 

This is in Dayton.....https://www.daytoncvb.com/attractions/d ... tion-park/