Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:19 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Here is an interesting news story that I found:

https://abc7.com/society/wrong-way-corrigans-plane-leaves-oc;-soon-to-be-in-museum/3020421/

The son of Wrong-Way Corrigan is preparing to send the Curtiss Robin "to a museum" - Anyone know where?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I recall a magazine piece (probably Air Classics) of Corrigan displaying it at an air show shortly before his death, other than that, I don't think it has been seen much.

I hope it goes to a museum with a strong General Aviation content where the aircraft can be appreciated as a popular private type and not JUST as an oddity because of Corrigan's flight (or silly stunt depending on your opinion of the event).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:48 pm 

Such a piece of history belongs in the Smithsonian. But museums like things to be donated, acquisition budgets being what they are. So if the heir wants serious money, it's anybody's guess where it will go.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:34 am 
a.k.a. TBDude

Thanks for sharing that news report, Kevin.

I remember, it must have been about 25 years ago, I actually tried writing Douglas Corrigan a letter with hopes of helping him find a suitable home for Sunshine (an early attempt to preserve some of our air heritage). There was no response. I suspect he wasn't quite ready to part with his treasured plane, never received my letter, or just didn't feel he needed the assistance of some kid he hadn't met!

In any case, it's an interesting conundrum to ponder now. Where is the best home for "Wrong Way" Corrigan's Curtiss Robin? That's ultimately for his son Harry to decide. While I doubt he visits this site, in case he ever does maybe a thoughtful debate among the aviation history enthusiasts here will help inform the process ...

**The Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum would seem like a natural first choice. However, I don't believe they would try to acquire it, only because there is already a record-setting Curtiss Robin ("Ole Miss") in the collection. Typically, management at NASM doesn't do duplicates.

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/curtiss-robin-j-1-deluxe

**San Diego Air & Space Museum is a thought. You'd imagine Doug Corrigan would appreciate how they pay respect to the proud legacy of Ryan Aircraft (of which he was a part). But, like the Smithsonian, they already have a Curtiss Robin.

**The California Science Center in Los Angeles has some aviation related displays (though it is not their main focus). Yet, this move would keep the plane in Southern Cal where it spent so much of its time. Plus, that might make an interesting display next to the space shuttle Endeavor!

**I'm thinking the EAA Museum in Oshkosh would be a very appropriate home. As an undeniably historic vintage aircraft and the ultimate homebuid/modification project, Sunshine appeals to two major segments of the membership. And visitors to Airventure would have the chance to see and appreciate her for generations to come.

**Another idea is the Cradle of Aviation Museum in Garden City, NY. The Long Island location is in the heart of an area that was buzzing with flying feats and firsts during Aviation's "Golden Age." That includes Doug Corrigan's "accidental" trans-Atlantic crossing. Sunshine would be right at home in the midst of exhibits honoring that special era.

Of course, the most fitting scenario of all would be to announce the plane is going to the airport in Long Beach, CA .. and then have it turn up at a museum in Dublin, Ireland two days later! :lol:

Last edited by Russ Matthews on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:35 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Russ wrote:

Quote:
**The Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum would seem like a natural first choice. However, I don't believe they would try to acquire it, only because there is already a record-setting Curtiss Robin ("Ole Miss") in the collection. Typically, management at NASM doesn't do duplicates.

While this may be generally true, NASM does have duplicate types that have distinct histories. The best examples are the two Lockheed Vegas (the Wiley Post and Amelia Earhart aircraft). There are also two Pitts Specials ("Little Stinker" S-1C and earliest surviving Pitts, and the Ransome S-1S associated with the 1972 world championship). There are two examples of recent additions that are sort-of duplicates: A second Bleriot (though an American-made copy) has joined their original, that was Garber-accessioned from the Roosevelt Field Museum when that closed in the early 1950s. A Martin-Grumman EA-6B Prowler has recently joined the Grumman A-6 Intruder in the collection (both of course have different missions). There are also two F-4s (the "Sageburner" speed record breaker and a Vietnam vet with a MiG kill that was then badly overpainted with spurious markings), and two Mitsubishi Zeros (an A6M5 and A6M7, if memory serves, the second being on loan to San Diego).

The wrong-way Curtiss Robin would be an ideal addition to the new "Why We Fly" Gallery (along with the Sea Tucker Oracle Challenger, Jerrie Mock Cessna 180 and prototype Learjet). Interesting, this is one aircraft that should never be restored, since this was already well worn before the flight for which it is famous. Preservation of the original, not restoration is needed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:26 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

That news report was from February of 2018, so not recent. Nonetheless there doesn't seem to have been any further word on where it is going or where it went.

I remember seeing it on display at Hawthorne Airport in California, near LAX, when it first publically reemerged. People have been trying to buy that aircraft from the Corrigan family for decades so I'm sure it would bring good money in a private sale.

Would be nice to have it finally on public display more than once every 60 years or so.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:52 pm 
a.k.a. TBDude

old iron wrote:
While this may be generally true, NASM does have duplicate types that have distinct histories.

You're absolutely right. That's why I qualified my statement as "Typically, management at NASM doesn't do duplicates."

About 12 years ago I tracked down "Eagle One," the US Park Police helicopter at the center of the dramatic 1982 rescue of Air Florida flight 90 crash survivors from an ice-choked Potomac River. I approached the Smithsonian about their level of interest and was told "We already have a Bell 206." Fair enough. I had to expand my thinking and, to make a long story short, today 'Eagle One" holds pride of place in the main atrium of Washington, DC's National Law Enforcement Museum.

That experience, coupled with the fact that NASM already has an example of the Curtiss Robin which is not currently on display (despite being better preserved and equally, if not more, historically significant than Corrigan's Sunshine) makes me skeptical the museum management would opt to take on another. The notion of the "Why We Fly" gallery sounds like a good one, though I imagine the curators would find that the Key Brothers' Ole Miss also fits into that slot quite nicely.

None of this is to say that Sunshine isn't deserving of preservation in "America's Attic" or that no one should try to propose it. I just think it would be useful to brainstorm some other alternatives, just in case.

And with that in mind .. it turns out that two of my earlier suggestions, the EAA Museum (Pioneer Airport) and the Cradle of Aviation Museum both already have Curtiss Robins in their respective collections .. as does the Glenn Curtiss Museum, which I shockingly only just learned about (there may be a road trip to Hammondsport in my future). Of course, I believe those are all fairly generic examples, so perhaps leadership at those facilities might be attracted to the unique story of "Wrong Way Corrigan" and wish to add Sunshine to their exhibits.

That really leaves only the California Science Center from my original list of suggestions. I wonder can anyone come up with any other possibilities?

old iron wrote:
Preservation of the original, not restoration is needed.

I couldn't agree more. Yet, I also suspect that bdk is correct in saying the Corrigan family would likely receive far more money from a private sale .. and it would be totally understandable if they ultimately chose to go that route.

Last edited by Russ Matthews on Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:32 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Russ wrote:

Quote:
About 12 years ago I tracked down "Eagle One," the US Park Police helicopter at the center of the dramatic 1982 rescue of Air Florida flight 90 crash survivors from an ice-choked Potomac River.

It sounds like Eagle One went to the right place. I think NASM would take two of a general type only if both were very historic (again, the two Lockheed Vegas are an example) or had considerable differences (the two Bleriots, or the military P-51D and civilian P-51C Excalibur III). The NASM Bell 206 is the "Spirit of Texas" - first helicopter around the world - which has international significance. NASM mostly shies away from artifacts of more regional importance in part I am sure because there are smaller museums, such as the National Law Enforcement Museum, that can provide more focused context.

I do think both "Sunshine" and "Ole Miss" fit the very historic criterion and Corrigan's plane could find a place at NASM, quite probably at the Mall rather than Udvar-Hazy. But as you say, there are private collectors and public museums able to pay more (NASM would probably pay for nothing more than transportation costs). The plane would only go to NASM if the current owner wanted it to go there (ie, money was not the issue). And I think this would only happen if NASM were to aggressively sell itself as the best home of the aircraft (ie, would indeed put it on Mall display and not in storage).

NASM is presently preoccupied with the current upgrades of the Mall building. As you know, whole galleries are being cleaned out for refurbishment. But that also means that there may be interest in NOT putting the same aircraft and displays back in once the structural improvements are finished. The Key Bros. Ole Miss has been at the Mall since the original opening in 1976, and I would guess that this would be rotated to Udvar Hazy (or loan). NASM has recently added the Sean Tucker Oracle Challenger and Sharp Nemesis NXT, I assume to go into the Mall to provide fresh (and timely) new displays. Maybe there is NASM interest in "Sunshine"?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:07 am 
a.k.a. TBDude

old iron wrote:
Maybe there is NASM interest in "Sunshine"?

Only one way to know for sure. I expect the Smithsonian was (or will be) Harry Corrigan's first call. I'm sure he'll find a good home to safeguard his father's legacy for the future generations.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:02 am 

Just as a follow on to this post... The Corrigan Robin is at the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, CA. Last I heard it is stored and the museum is considering cleaning it up in its current "barn or garage find" condition to ready for display.