Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Two members of the X-Team, also known as the "Masters of Disaster" collided at the Moosejaw airshow today.
From CNN.Com:

Tragedy strikes two air shows
Collisions in Saskatchewan, Delaware kill at least 3 pilots

Sunday, July 10, 2005; Posted: 11:28 p.m. EDT (03:28 GMT)

An explosion erupts after a biplane crashes at an air show in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

MOOSE JAW, Saskatchewan (AP) -- Two small planes collided Sunday at an air show in central Canada, killing both pilots instantly, while in Delaware, two planes practicing for a show collided and killed at least one of the pilots, officials said.

Witnesses at the show in Canada said one plane came from beneath and collided with the second craft. Both burst into flames and crashed. No spectators were hurt, but the air show in Moose Jaw, about 120 miles north of the Montana border, was immediately canceled.

The pilots were members of the U.S.-based Masters of Disaster civilian aerobatics team. A third plane involved in the dogfight simulation landed safely.

Clive Tolley, executive director of the air show, said Canada's Transport Safety Board would be arriving Monday to launch an investigation into the crash.

"It was a civilian performance that has been practiced many, many times and done in a safe manner many, many times," Tolley said.

Some relatives of the dead pilots had been at the air show and were taken to a nearby military base while officials tried to notify family members in the United States.

Additional information on the pilots was not immediately available

So far the unofficial word is it was,

Jimmy Franklin:
Franklin has received many awards during his years as an airshow professional. He has received the coveted Bill Barber Award for Showmanship (1989), the Clifford W. Henderson Achievement Award (1999), and the General Aviation News and Flyer "Reader's Choice" Award for Favorite Overall Performer and Favorite Specialty Act (1990 & 1996). Franklin was also the first person to receive the Art Scholl Memorial Showmanship Award (1986) for the act "ZAR", and the first and only person to receive the Art Scholl Memorial Showmanship Award twice, again in 1999 for showmanship in the Jet Waco.

Bobby Younkin:
Bobby achieved national success with the Twin Beech. He followed that up a few years later flying SAMSON, a replica of the famous 1940’s air show plane built by Curtis Pitts. Steve and Liz Wolf’s recreation is "overly blessed with power," Bobby said, delivering a big show.

Both of these airshow professionals will be sadly missed. They were the true Showmen of "our" favorite national pastime.

Jimmy for his incredible aerobatics in the Waco, before and after the CJ610
Bobby for his full spectrum of airshow performances, the Decathalon routine was just as impressive as the Lear 23. The Beech 18 and Samson act were nothing less than astonishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:33 am 
S/N Geek

You have to feel for the families. I only knew one of the names, Jim Franklin. I remember his performance at Ottawa back in 1995 in a Waco. What a show! What a loss.

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:15 am 

I saw this as well.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/ww1-dogfight-disaster/2005/07/11/1120934160864.html?oneclick=true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:27 am 
S/N Geek

CorsairFreak wrote:

You might need to cut and paste text. The link appears to require membership of some kind.

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:06 am 

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/ww1-dogfight-disaster/2005/07/11/1120934160864.html

Try it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:43 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Morning news here in LA showed the video. Very tragic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

lets hope this string of airshow crashes & fatalities of late eases up pdq!!! i've read to many aviation obituaries lately, hit's heart breaking!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:01 pm 

I can honestly say that the 4 X-team MOD shows that I saw were the most fantastic airshow experiences I have ever had. These gentlemen were incredible.

...thoughts & prayers to those who knew them first-hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i checked this thread today & saw my post of this past july. my opinion remains the same...... to many aviation related obituaries. maybe the airshow circuit needs to apply the brakes & re-evaluate the standards. a big wallet doen't make for safe flying credentials.