Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: New Pilot
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:17 pm 

Hello gang! I just wanted to stop in and give y'all some exciting news. On 8/15, I passed my Private Pilot checkride! I am now officially a pilot. 8-) I begin training for my tailwheel endorsement this Saturday, in our museum's L-16.

The real reason I post this is, I want to personally thank each and every one of you for all the support you have given me through the years. You all believed in me, and I will never forget this. I am honored to call you all friends.

Stay tuned for more "Hancock Pilot Reports" in the near future! I plan on doing plenty. My role has somewhat changed from reporter to flyboy...haha.

Thanks again, all!

Flying my father for the 1st time!

My 1st Geneseo landing!!! 8-)

Volunteer - National Warplane Museum
Commercial & "Warbug" (Aspiring Warbird) Pilot
Project Lead - LG44 ('Lucy Gal' / 'Yellow 44')

ahancock51@gmail.com

Post subject: Re: New Pilot
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Bravo Austin....It's a wonder feeling of freedom you now have. Build the hours and keep looking ahead on ratings and pretty soon you will be right seat on the -47 and then who knows what else.... :supz:

I'm working to get back current with everything so I can take my boys up and get them interested.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:27 pm 

Cvairwerks wrote:
Bravo Austin....It's a wonder feeling of freedom you now have. Build the hours and keep looking ahead on ratings and pretty soon you will be right seat on the -47 and then who knows what else.... :supz:

I'm working to get back current with everything so I can take my boys up and get them interested.

Thanks a million!! It is an awesome feeling. I took my dad up for the 1st time, and it was almost surreal. Soo cool! 8) I'll keep plugging away, the -47 and much more beckons! Haha

ahancock51@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:57 pm 
FAC Pilot
FAC Pilot

Congrats, Austin.......on to bigger and better birdies. Look forward to following your progress in the future. :drink3:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:22 pm 

LadyO2Pilot wrote:
Congrats, Austin.......on to bigger and better birdies. Look forward to following your progress in the future. :drink3:

Thank you very much!!! :drinkers:

ahancock51@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:05 pm 

Got my 1st "Warbug" flight lesson in today! Wanted to share this, for those interested...

Date: 8/24/13
Aircraft: 1946 Aeronca L-16A "Grasshopper"
Total Time: 1.0 Hrs.

On August 15th, 2013, I passed my Private Pilot checkride! This is only Step #1 of many, as I climb my path towards flying WWII "Warbirds." Today, I took the next step by beginning my tailwheel endorsement training. I am doing so in none-other than our museum's Aeronca L-16 "Grasshopper." Here's a few pilot notes from the occasion!

1.) Hand-Propping is interesting! My CFI handled the duty today, and it is much different than just turning a key. To me, it was actually simpler!

2.) The pre-flight inspection was much the same as in the C-172M. Was nice to have some familiarity in that regard.

3.) Taxiing was wayyyyy different! I had been told to stay "ahead" of the airplane. Until today, I did not know that this applied to the ground too! As soon as you use rudder one way to turn, you are right on the opposite rudder to counteract it. The process is much like paddling a canoe. Eventually, I got the hang of it. It is tricky, though, as the brakes are at your heel. Switching between brakes and rudder was tricky for me. I think I'll have it down shortly, though.

4.) Takeoff, again, staying ahead of the airplane. I got a pretty good feel for the airplane's tendencies today, with the CFI on the controls with me. 2 Takeoffs, and 2 Landings on the day (that's good, right?) I felt that both takeoff and landing were "calmer" than the 172. Not sure why, it just felt more relaxed and natural. Maybe it was the new CFI, or maybe it was just the fact that I was flying out of my "safe" airport (Geneseo.)

5.) Landing, as mentioned above, seemed smoother. It was definitely slower than in the 172. I much prefer it!

6.) Maneuvers, I really got a good feel for the L-16 during slow flight. Sure, the 172 can do it, for in the -16, you really feel it! Steep turns were a cinch, compared to the 172, as were other maneuvers. Maybe it's just my confidence from recently earning my PPL, or maybe the lack of instruments kept me looking outside more! Either way, the overall flying of the plane felt much more natural to me. We did stalls (power off and on), emergency procedure, and turns as well.

7.) Climbs and descents felt much more difficult than in the C-172. The 65hp motor ensured this! Can you believe the L-16 has a service ceiling of 12,500'? It took me ages just to get to 2,000'! It's just the "nature of the beast," low and slow.

In summary, I really love flying the L-16! It is an honor to finally be able to fly a real "Warbird." I cannot wait to shortly solo, and maybe represent the museum with her at some shows soon!

Blue Skies and Tailwinds,

Austin C. Hancock

Part 141 Commercial Pilot Student - Rochester Air Centre
Marketing & Museum Studies B.S. Student - St. John Fisher College
Special Projects Volunteer - National Warplane Museum

585-286-6781
ahancock51@gmail.com

ahancock51@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:06 am 

Congratulations Austin!

Being a pilot myself, I know getting the DE's endorsement is a great achievement. And, aviation history is much better understood when the pilot's perspective is included. A good example is the interception of Yamamoto by P-38s that flew long distance from Guadalcanal with no modern nav-aids. Today's pilots can only marvel at such feats.

In any case it is great to see another pilot take wing.

Fly Safe!

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:54 pm 

daviemax wrote:
Congratulations Austin!

Being a pilot myself, I know getting the DE's endorsement is a great achievement. And, aviation history is much better understood when the pilot's perspective is included. A good example is the interception of Yamamoto by P-38s that flew long distance from Guadalcanal with no modern nav-aids. Today's pilots can only marvel at such feats.

In any case it is great to see another pilot take wing.

Fly Safe!

Dave

Thank you so much, Dave! Fly safe to you as well. I tell ya, I am REALLY looking forward to posting these "PIREP'S," right up through the P-51! 8)

ahancock51@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:02 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Congrats Austin. Have fun in the Warbug I'm sure it will lead to bigger and quicker things. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:02 pm 

TAdan wrote:
Congrats Austin. Have fun in the Warbug I'm sure it will lead to bigger and quicker things. :D

Thanks, my friend! :supz:

ahancock51@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:44 am 

Some great reading Austin. I have been looking at a pilots license for some time now and hope to pursue it once I finish up some designations for my career. How long did you work on the PPL?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:12 pm 

Thomas_Mac wrote:
Some great reading Austin. I have been looking at a pilots license for some time now and hope to pursue it once I finish up some designations for my career. How long did you work on the PPL?

Thanks, Thomas! I would definitely encourage anyone interesting in earning their PPL to do it. My training experience should be enough to keep anyone from being discouraged from getting their ticket. It all began 4 years ago, for me. I had graduated HS, and planned on attending a community college for a two-year A.A.S in Professional Piloting (PPL through Comm.) My 1st week of summer break, I was denied my 1st Class medical due to a medication I was on (no-one told me it was an issue!)

Regardless, I began the training. I got to the point of being ready to solo, but was still awaiting my medical appeal to be cleared. Winter came, and I put flying on hold (opting instead to go to 4 year school full-time and work. I had ~25hrs) That spring, my medical was cleared and I soloed. From here, it was an on/off process between seasons, semesters, and work schedules. Eventually, I got it! Lots of starts/stops, but I studied the book material and "visualized" the maneuvers in my free time when I was not flying.

So, despite what some may say of having to make a large time/money dedication to it (it does help), flying at your own pace can work! The key, as I mentioned, is staying sharp by studying/flight sims/mediatation (Really! LOL.)

Any more questions, I'm always happy to answer!

ahancock51@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Austin this is such exciting news. Congratulations my friend. I like your analogy of the canoe. You have to look for the "trend" that is beginning. It starts with a small input, unchecked it will just keep on trending until corrected. If you start your correction early it will only have to be small. If you wait until it develops too far, then.......
Something my tailwheel instructor instilled in me is that as the aircraft accelerates, flight controls become effective in the following order. First the rudder, then the elevator and finally the ailerons. As it decelerates the rudder is the last thing to lose effectiveness. It's all about the feet.
We're still hoping to bring the Tiger moth to Geneseo before the season is out. I'll definitely keep you posted. No doubt we'll trade rides one day 8)

The HagKid would be proud :lol:

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:00 pm 

DH82EH wrote:
Austin this is such exciting news. Congratulations my friend. I like your analogy of the canoe. You have to look for the "trend" that is beginning. It starts with a small input, unchecked it will just keep on trending until corrected. If you start your correction early it will only have to be small. If you wait until it develops too far, then.......
Something my tailwheel instructor instilled in me is that as the aircraft accelerates, flight controls become effective in the following order. First the rudder, then the elevator and finally the ailerons. As it decelerates the rudder is the last thing to lose effectiveness. It's all about the feet.
We're still hoping to bring the Tiger moth to Geneseo before the season is out. I'll definitely keep you posted. No doubt we'll trade rides one day 8)

The HagKid would be proud :lol:

Andy Scott

Thank you so very much, Andy! You are right on with that small inputs versus late inputs, haha. My 1st few lessons, it was a challenge just taxiing. Now, I have gained that "feel" for a tailwheel, I can actually sense what the aircraft will do before it happens. Like they all say, "stay ahead of the airplane!" 8) I did not know about the acceleration effects on differing flight controls, that is huge!

And, please do bring the Tiger Moth down soon! :D I believe you mentioned a special ceremony here in Genny, and I'm more than willing to help organize if need be. :wink: :wink: .

ahancock51@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:10 pm 

Finally catching up on my flight reporting, my training time in the L-16 has flown by! I am really gaining confidence in my abilites to fly tailwheel, and have a good feel for the airplane now.

1.) I know how to handprop now! I did this for the 1st time during my 2nd lesson. 1st, I pulled the prop through a few time to prime the engine and get oil through all cylinders (mags-off.) Then, I was ready! The technique is to stand under the prop, hands above you atop it, and using your whole body, pull down and "fall-away forward" from the prop. I'm still here to tell you all about it, so I must have done okay! LOL.

2.) Preflight is really fascinating on the L-16. It is similar, yet different to that of the C-172. I mean, the general principles of the walk-around are the same, yet, the L-16 has different elements to check on. For example, the fabric (holes, cracks, etc.), wings (play, cracked ribs), tailwheel and lock, control cables and linkages. It feels like a real airplane, even during preflight!

3.) Taxiing has been worked out by me! The 1st time, I had no idea what to expect and fishtailed everywhere. This time, not so. The trick? Stay ahead of the airplane and anticipate what it will do. When taxiing onto the taxiway, I use right rudder to go right, and I see the turn beginning. Immediately after, even before I am at centre on the taxiway, opposite left rudder to even out. Even when going straight, using minor left/right rudder keeps you on course. The trick is to look at a point directly ahead of the nose of the L-16. Even a minor distraction left/right will throw you off.

4.) Takeoffs are now routine. The 1st time I went up, my goal was only to get the plane off the ground @ 50mph, no regard for attitude (was wayy different that 1st time!) Now, I follow a pattern than is much different from the nosewheel I am used to, and I like it better this way! Throttle up and hold in back-pressure until 35mph appears, then gently push the stick forward until an attitude-picture similar to that of a Cessna on takeoff appears. Hold the picture until 50mph arrives, then, gently back up the stick and lift off!

5.) Landings, now attainable! The most recent lesson what the 1st one where I actually landed the L-16 without instructor on the controls, and it was with crosswind as well. Again, key is airspeed control, trim, and crab. I seemed to have no problems with this from the beginning, my main problem was after the touchdown. I have finally been programmed to hold stick back, and ailerons into wind right to the stop.

6.) Crosswind, as I mentioned, does not seem so scary anymore. During my last lesson, my instructor had me do some "low-passes" @ ~20ft. The goal was, fly a normal approach until 20 ft off the runway, then, maintain airspeed and crab into the wind the whole way down the runway, right down the centerline. The 1st time, I held it for about the 1st 1/3rd of the runway and lost the crab correction. 2nd time, I made it about 2/3rds. The last time, I nailed it! That was a fun exercise that really helped me out. My CFI is great! After these "low-passes" my landing skills never looked back.

So, there y'all have it! I'm a little over half-way to earning my tailwheel endorsement and L-16 type-rating. Stay tuned for more, and as always, thank YOU all for your help and support!

Keep 'Em Flying...

ahancock51@gmail.com